50g SCA cube build (Lots of pics)

DylanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been working on this set up for about a month and a half, but finally feel like it's come along far enough to be worth posting.

I've kept small reef tanks (25g and under) since I was in high school, and always struggled with cost and my schedule. I never got ATOs or autofeeders, and eventually they all kinda fell into disrepair. This is the first tank that I've finally got the resources to get the right gear ahead of time. I just finished medical school, and am starting my EM residency, so time is still going to be a big issue. Because of this I am going with a controller so I can automate as much stuff as I can.

I decided on the SCA 50g because I heard great things about the company and their customer service. Leading up to the purchase I emailed and called multiple times with questions, and Steve from SCA always got back to me ASAP. The delivery went smoothly, and I couldn't be happier with the tank or stand. I went with the grey full wood stand because I liked the look a lot better, and I've never been a fan of MDF. I've never been a big DIY person, and definitely never did any plumbing or programming before, so this has been a big project for me.

After doing some research, I decided to do appliance epoxy on the inside of the stand, as well as silicone along the edges. I honestly meant to do it white, but turns out the black epoxy has a white fridge on it and the white epoxy had a black one. Go figure.

IMG_0619.JPG

IMG_0622.JPG

IMG_0625.JPG
IMG_0621.JPG

I actually ended up really liking the black epoxy with the grey stand. I'm really happy with how it has turned out, since I've already had to clean up a fair amount of spills and it's really easy.

The next step was the plumbing, and honestly I was really worried about screwing it up. Thankfully there are some great guides and members on here, which made it manageable. I went for the Sch40/Sch80 split because, well, I think it looks cooler.

IMG_0653.JPG

The wood stands from SCA are shaped in such a way that I was able to have both my primary and emergency drains go straight down to the sump, which made things easy.

I also went with 2x1 cable raceways for cable management. I'm not usually a very tidy person, but I figured it would be better to just do it now and keep the sump from becoming a nightmare.

IMG_0792.JPG

Starting to fill it up!
IMG_0790.JPG

IMG_0793.JPG

Having never filled a system this large (or had my own RO/DI) I had no idea that this was going to take all day.

After looking through a couple of aquascaping threads I decided to go with two large spires for my aquascape. I figure this will allow for some easier SPS up top with high light/flow, but still have room for some LPS and zoas down low. Plus I've always liked more minimal scapes, since they allow for more fish movement and don't look crowded.

IMG_0794 (1).JPG

IMG_0796.JPG

For the sump I've decided to use the middle column for a fuge, and it currently has some rubble and chaeto in it. There's still a touch of ammonia so I haven't added my CUC or anything else yet.

IMG_0800.JPG

And here's a shot of the sump with a little more organization
IMG_0801.JPG

My next project is going to be getting a cabinet or something for the electronics. Currently looks terrible, but I've promised the wife it's a temporary situation.
IMG_0802.JPG

That's it for now!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been working on this set up for about a month and a half, but finally feel like it's come along far enough to be worth posting.

I've kept small reef tanks (25g and under) since I was in high school, and always struggled with cost and my schedule. I never got ATOs or autofeeders, and eventually they all kinda fell into disrepair. This is the first tank that I've finally got the resources to get the right gear ahead of time. I just finished medical school, and am starting my EM residency, so time is still going to be a big issue. Because of this I am going with a controller so I can automate as much stuff as I can.

I decided on the SCA 50g because I heard great things about the company and their customer service. Leading up to the purchase I emailed and called multiple times with questions, and Steve from SCA always got back to me ASAP. The delivery went smoothly, and I couldn't be happier with the tank or stand. I went with the grey full wood stand because I liked the look a lot better, and I've never been a fan of MDF. I've never been a big DIY person, and definitely never did any plumbing or programming before, so this has been a big project for me.

After doing some research, I decided to do appliance epoxy on the inside of the stand, as well as silicone along the edges. I honestly meant to do it white, but turns out the black epoxy has a white fridge on it and the white epoxy had a black one. Go figure.

IMG_0619.JPG

IMG_0622.JPG

IMG_0625.JPG
IMG_0621.JPG

I actually ended up really liking the black epoxy with the grey stand. I'm really happy with how it has turned out, since I've already had to clean up a fair amount of spills and it's really easy.

The next step was the plumbing, and honestly I was really worried about screwing it up. Thankfully there are some great guides and members on here, which made it manageable. I went for the Sch40/Sch80 split because, well, I think it looks cooler.

IMG_0653.JPG

The wood stands from SCA are shaped in such a way that I was able to have both my primary and emergency drains go straight down to the sump, which made things easy.

I also went with 2x1 cable raceways for cable management. I'm not usually a very tidy person, but I figured it would be better to just do it now and keep the sump from becoming a nightmare.

IMG_0792.JPG

Starting to fill it up!
IMG_0790.JPG

IMG_0793.JPG

Having never filled a system this large (or had my own RO/DI) I had no idea that this was going to take all day.

After looking through a couple of aquascaping threads I decided to go with two large spires for my aquascape. I figure this will allow for some easier SPS up top with high light/flow, but still have room for some LPS and zoas down low. Plus I've always liked more minimal scapes, since they allow for more fish movement and don't look crowded.

IMG_0794 (1).JPG

IMG_0796.JPG

For the sump I've decided to use the middle column for a fuge, and it currently has some rubble and chaeto in it. There's still a touch of ammonia so I haven't added my CUC or anything else yet.

IMG_0800.JPG

IMG_0801.JPG

My next project is going to be getting a cabinet or something for the electronics. Currently looks terrible, but I've promised the wife it's a temporary situation.
IMG_0802.JPG

That's it for now!

Looking good! I like that aquascape for a cube!

o00brandon00o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_0619.JPG

IMG_0622.JPG

IMG_0625.JPG
IMG_0621.JPG

IMG_0653.JPG

IMG_0792.JPG

Starting to fill it up!
IMG_0790.JPG

IMG_0793.JPG

IMG_0794 (1).JPG

IMG_0796.JPG

IMG_0800.JPG

IMG_0801.JPG

IMG_0802.JPG

That's it for now!

@Dylan Fredrick Ely Awesome build so far!!

I, too, am in the middle of a (prob closer to finished) a SCA 50 gal build:
https://www.reef2reef.com/posts/4810439/

My MP10 makes killer waves on the back corner out of sight, resonance seems impartial.

I'm curious to know your open top evaporation rate so keep me tagged as you go!

OP
OP
DylanE

DylanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dylan Fredrick Ely Awesome build so far!!

I, too, am in the middle of a (prob closer to finished) a SCA 50 gal build:
https://www.reef2reef.com/posts/4810439/

My MP10 makes killer waves on the back corner out of sight, resonance seems impartial.

I'm curious to know your open top evaporation rate so keep me tagged as you go!

Thanks!

You did a heck of a job on stand/canopy! I would've loved to have a canopy to prevent light leaking, but that's out of my DIY league. The evaporation hasn't been bad, though. I run it at 78-80 and it's pretty dry here in Sacramento, but it takes about a week to go through my 3 gallon ATO bucket. If it stays there I'll be happy.

I didn't even realize how front and center that MP40 was until you mentioned it haha. I moved it to the back right of the tank and it really looks much better, thanks for pointing that out!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back