55 gallon predator options as fish

fishboy10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this setup is probably on its way somewhere down the road in a long time but are there any puffers eels lionfish triggers suitable for such a tank and if lionfish how do you clean the tank without being stung

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the medium body lions are fine. Radiata, mombasae, zebra, or any of the dwarfs. How many is up to your filteration. You could do a couple bottom dwellers as well such as a cockatoo or small scorpion fish.

Not getting stung is just being observant and knowing your fish. Mine usually just swam away, knowing I wasn't going to hurt them. If they feel threatened they will present their spines in a manner to warn you off.

Gonna tag in @Lionfish Lair here too. She is a queen on lions and scorps

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the smaller species may work short term

FeliciaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pufferfish definitely don't work with lionfish since they will eat the lionfish's fins. In my 40B I have several of the dwarf lionfish species and a small snowflake eel. I know the eel will eventually outgrow my tank, but he's small now and he's grown over the last 8 months, but not that much. Any of the dwarf lionfish species (fuzzy, zebra, Fu Manchu) would do great in your 55 gallon. The medium bodied, like an antennata would be fine as well.

My lionfish are never aggressive, so as long as I pay attention to where they are while I'm working in the tank, there's no risk of being stung. I also wear very thick, over the elbow gloves when I'm doing a lot of work in the tank, like messing with the scape, placing corals, or fragging. That way I can't accidentally bump into a lionfish spine while I'm working. Honestly, if you're careful and pay attention, you are very unlikely to get stung.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back