55 gallon sump

Thrashed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so here is my plan. I'm setting up a 90 gallon in the next few weeks and just trying to get things together. Lets see some of your DIY 55 gallon sumps. I know the 55 gallon is a overkill, but this tank will be in my server room (where I spend most of my time) so I need the extra space to run my chiller pump, reactor pumps, and a few other odd and end things I'm sure I'll throw in once it's up and running. Just trying to get the idea for some dimensions on each section of the sump to give me enough room to play around in it as well as throw my damsel I can't seem to let go of

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go to brs and look how some of the premade fuges look.

I would be wary of putting tank and sump in a room with a lot of computer stuff. I work in IT and had a server within a few feet of a 40g tank and 10g sump. I go through about .5 gallons of water a day in rodi from evaporation. I moved it, thankfully that is in my living room which is huge with 15+ foot vaulted ceilings. Nothing bad happened but it was just a test server and not in production, So in a smaller room I would not want all that evaporated water around severs. On top of the fact that when I mess with the tank I always end up with some water splashed on the floor and around the tank.

Just some food for thought. I can say for the sump try and plan it out as to add baffles you need to drain the sump for atleast 24 hours to re silicone it if you go that route. I made a diy sump and after about 4 months I'm just buying a pre built one.

OP
OP
Thrashed

Thrashed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go to brs and look how some of the premade fuges look.

I would be wary of putting tank and sump in a room with a lot of computer stuff. I work in IT and had a server within a few feet of a 40g tank and 10g sump. I go through about .5 gallons of water a day in rodi from evaporation. I moved it, thankfully that is in my living room which is huge with 15+ foot vaulted ceilings. Nothing bad happened but it was just a test server and not in production, So in a smaller room I would not want all that evaporated water around severs. On top of the fact that when I mess with the tank I always end up with some water splashed on the floor and around the tank.

Just some food for thought. I can say for the sump try and plan it out as to add baffles you need to drain the sump for atleast 24 hours to re silicone it if you go that route. I made a diy sump and after about 4 months I'm just buying a pre built one.
Oh yeah I know, I already have a 65 tall running in here as well as a bio cube and a freshwater system all in here. I'm upgrading the the 65 to this 90. I have always went DIY sumps, just trying to maximize all the room in this 55 because right now my 29 DIY I have under this 65 is just a cluster of pumps all sitting in different spots and a skimmer tucked in there with it

OP
OP
Thrashed

Thrashed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also to be clear, this isn't the normal tiny server room that is just big enough to turn around. This room is 20x60, it is just the room I spend the most time in when I am not at work seeing how I am always either working on something or building something new

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back