kanders87

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. How do you Ike the a80?
Thank you! I really like the A80. My blastos are growing new heads, and everything else seems to like it as well. I have it on the spectral controller which makes it SO much better. My only qualm is with the gooseneck. It's a bit large for this tank, but its not a big enough issue to do anything about it.

Ryan Friman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I just setup a 5 gallon that is cycling. Right now, I am debating on getting an A80 or a cheaper alternative.

OP
OP
kanders87

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh water change, and everything is going great! I have to say, I maintain this nano better that my IM 20...and I can really tell a difference. Thus far, all the uglies have been pretty much in check and I tend to things before they become an issue. Life lesson.
My maintainence routine is as follows:
Biweekly 30ish% water change
Every other day I stir or blow the entire sand bed and live rock.
I feed my clown goby daily with either frozen mysis, Ocean Nutrition nano, or PE mysis pellets
ReefRoids or Reef Chili 1x per week.

I did move a couple corals around, but mostly just sitting back to watch everything grow out :)

IMG_1295.JPG

Pork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We really do have the same tank haha love it man nice work. What are you do I g for flow?

OP
OP
kanders87

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We really do have the same tank haha love it man nice work. What are you do I g for flow?

Thanks! For flow I've got an 80gph return pump and a 40gph (the stock return pump) on the back left side with a directional nozzle. Seems to be working thus far, though it's just a softie/LPS tank.

Do you have anything in your filter area to catch debris? Or just the sponge?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice job!

Pork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! For flow I've got an 80gph return pump and a 40gph (the stock return pump) on the back left side with a directional nozzle. Seems to be working thus far, though it's just a softie/LPS tank.

Do you have anything in your filter area to catch debris? Or just the sponge?
Thats funny i put a 110gph in the back and the stock lump in the same spot as you. Just a handful of cheato and the sponge in my filter compartment like a mini fuge. most likely be weekly water changes down the road.

OP
OP
kanders87

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats funny i put a 110gph in the back and the stock lump in the same spot as you. Just a handful of cheato and the sponge in my filter compartment like a mini fuge. most likely be weekly water changes down the road.

It's funny how similar our tanks are! I'm excited to see the AI on yours soon.

Pork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny how similar our tanks are! I'm excited to see the AI on yours soon.
Me too! Haha that old light really was a great pick up just hard to pass on the ai when you've seen what it can do

OP
OP
kanders87

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: This past weekend, we decided to move arounx some furniture so the tank made a lateral move to my office/fish room. It probably took me about an hour and a half to do everyrhing (drain tank, move, reconfigure wires/controller, refill, resetup ATO, ect) and the tank was without flow for maybe 20-30 minutes. I don’t know what happened, but three days later all 5 of my sexy shrimp are missing/presumed dead. The goby still seems fine snd active as usual. I unfortunately have not had a chance to tesy my params yet. Hopefully tomorrow.

In other news, I started dosing KZ Nano Power about a month ago, and some of my corals that had lost their color are coming back. There were a few zoas that were not opening fully despite my new dosing, so I dosed some vitamin C for 2 weeks. Bam!! Open and doing much better!! I probably won’t continue to dose vitamin C indefinitely, but for now it’s helping. The tank has been up for 8 months at this point, and I feel like I’m still working on finding the right groove for coral growth. Kessil A80 is doing ok, but really starting to consider a nanobox tide. I love the duo on my IM 20, so maybe something to consider.

OP
OP
kanders87

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a couple days ago, I decided to pull all my sand out and rinse it. I still couldn’t figure out why my shrimps died so I thought cleaning the system might be a good starting point. I also rescaped a little to get better flow around the rockwork, but may still need to move my flow pump off the back wall to get better results. We’ll see how it goes, but the sand definitely needed it!
I wish I would have remembered to take before pictures.

OP
OP
kanders87

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated FTS:
51F48EEF-CA81-463A-B89B-4EEBBA4E98EB.jpeg

Some new zoas ( candy apple reds, sunny d’s):
38DF4435-0DC1-4D55-90F7-05DC99646B62.jpeg

And a wicked case of algea!
8B1398DA-48DB-4B04-A2B1-8144E7BFB09E.jpeg

Not sure if I should re-up my cleaning crew or what, but it’s getting dense and making its way around the tank. Also considering a small fuge to see if that would help. Open to suggestions as well!

OP
OP
kanders87

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urrrhhhggg! Just found an aptasia today, right next to some zoas. Not sure that I can super glue the spot well enough, but I’ll be trying tomorrow.

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank. I was having an algae problem with my 13.5 tank until I put a fuge on it. I didn't have any more algae problems. I shut down the 13.5 and transferred my fuge now to my 20 tall tank. I don't know if it helped or not but I did put miracle mud in my fuge.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back