6.25 Arc Nano Reef Build

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I am setting up a new nano reef to transfer everything from my Evolve 8 into. I wanted a tank that was longer vs square like the 8. So, I got the Imagitarium Arc 6.25 gallon bowfront glass aquarium. It's an AIO, but I plan on modifying some of it.
For starts, I'll be replacing the stock pump with a Hydor 200gph. The first chamber, I will probably make (or buy if I can find one that fits) a media basket. I'll be running filter floss, chemiPure blue, and some bio media. I have a 25w heater that will fit in the 3rd chamber with the pump. I'll also be painting the back black to blend the AIO part in better and the help make coral colors pop.

Lighting: Kessil a80 tuna blue.
Rock: BRS Reef Saver
Sand: CaribSea Fiji Pink or Indo Pacific, I'm undecided at this point
Salt: AquaForest Reef Salt w/ weekly water changes
Corals: mostly zoas, some mushrooms, maybe an acan or 2?

Here's my rock scape so far. Critique is appreciated and welcomed!

IMG_1062.JPG

IMG_1063.JPG

IMG_1065.JPG

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that's looks tight. Looks kool. Following...

Curious if 200gph is too much flow. I assuming that's your only circulation pump.

You definitely have more than enough light for this size and corals. May be good to get a controller if you have not already considered one for the light.

Any fish or other critters in your plan?

OP
OP
kanders87

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that's looks tight. Looks kool. Following...

Curious if 200gph is too much flow. I assuming that's your only circulation pump.

You definitely have more than enough light for this size and corals. May be good to get a controller if you have not already considered one for the light.

Any fish or other critters in your plan?

Thank you :) I imagine 200 is too much, but it's easy to dial down. I'm considering adding a second outflow on the right of the AIO and connecting both outflows to the pump. I've heard that people have had issues with dead spots in the back corners, so obviously I want to try and avoid that.
I definitely want the controller for the light, but it's not a top priority at the moment. I need to get an ATO first. I'm thinking I'll get another Smart ATO micro. I have one on my fusion 20 and I love it.
As far as critters go, I have a clown goby and sexy shrimp that are being moved over from the 8. I'll probably leave it at that.
Any ideas on an appropriate sized CUC??

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you :) I imagine 200 is too much, but it's easy to dial down. I'm considering adding a second outflow on the right of the AIO and connecting both outflows to the pump. I've heard that people have had issues with dead spots in the back corners, so obviously I want to try and avoid that.
I definitely want the controller for the light, but it's not a top priority at the moment. I need to get an ATO first. I'm thinking I'll get another Smart ATO micro. I have one on my fusion 20 and I love it.
As far as critters go, I have a clown goby and sexy shrimp that are being moved over from the 8. I'll probably leave it at that.
Any ideas on an appropriate sized CUC??
I like BRS recommendation....1 snail and hermit crab for every 10G. Personally I would avoid hermit crabs as I don't have shells for them. I would consider 1 Cerith snail and 1
Trochus snail. Cerith will take care of your sandbed among other things. Trochus will do rocks and glass. 1 emerald crab potentially.

These are what I have on the Evo 13 and I also plan to do the same on he Fusion 20 once it's cycle. For example I only have 2 trochus snails and 1 cerith snail and they have been handling things well imo. I got them small as best I could and those things have grown. I do have to say I do try to keep a low nutrition system with a skimmer also.

definitely like the Smart ATO. Got one myself on the Evo.

OP
OP
kanders87

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, got sand added last week and tank is cycling. I did end up using the Fiji pink because I had it on hand. I'm using Dr. Tim's ammonia and added some biospira. I still need to paint the back glass, but of course I was anxious to get things cycling.
I was checking into clean up crews, and reef cleaners recommends a lot more members. For a 5.5 gallon aquarium they recommended: 5 dwarf ceriths, 2 nassarius, 4 Florida ceirths, and 3 small nerites. So debating on how I'm actually going to stock. I did order their crew for my 20, so we'll see how well/quickly they work. I have no plans of using a skimmer, but to start I'll probably stay on the smaller side of a CUC and judge from there.

IMG_1093.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
kanders87

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update: I got the back painted black, but I left it open behind the filter compartment so I can always see what's going on back there if need be. I also installed a surface skimmer over the overflow to hopefully raise my DT waterlevel. It just seemed a bit low for my taste.
Also, I ordered a Smart ATO micro and a Kessil Spectral controller

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, got sand added last week and tank is cycling. I did end up using the Fiji pink because I had it on hand. I'm using Dr. Tim's ammonia and added some biospira. I still need to paint the back glass, but of course I was anxious to get things cycling.
I was checking into clean up crews, and reef cleaners recommends a lot more members. For a 5.5 gallon aquarium they recommended: 5 dwarf ceriths, 2 nassarius, 4 Florida ceirths, and 3 small nerites. So debating on how I'm actually going to stock. I did order their crew for my 20, so we'll see how well/quickly they work. I have no plans of using a skimmer, but to start I'll probably stay on the smaller side of a CUC and judge from there.

IMG_1093.JPG
That's a whole lot of clean up crews (14 snails...geez. that would easily clean the 5.5G tank in 1 day :p. Seems a little excessive imo.

btw...i just restarted cycling my IM 20 again just yesterday using Red Sea Reef Mature Pro. Had planned to started last week but went on vacation one day into so I am just restarted .

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice progress with smart ATO and kessil. I couldn't tell from the pics; not sure if you considered keep the back a little open for waterflow as the pic seems to show a solid wall of rocks. May make circulation long term a potential detristus trap.

OP
OP
kanders87

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a little open, there are all sorts of channels behind the rock and an intake into the filter chamber behind a rock. I will be keeping an eye on it though. I can always blow it out behind there when I do water changes. Hopefully detritus will not be an issue.

OP
OP
kanders87

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this happened :) CUC has been in for a week and a half with no issues so I transferred everything over from the 8. I just ordered some lenses for my phone, so hopefully better pictures to follow!

Right, left, FTS.

IMG_1138.JPG

IMG_1137.JPG

IMG_1139.JPG

OP
OP
kanders87

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man. Pictures just don't capture it right.

I forgot to mention that I ended up not using the Hydor pump. I had an 80gph pump lying around that I'm using for the main pump, and am using the stock 40gph pump on the left side for added circulation. So far it seems to be working out well. It's giving me roughly 20x turnover, which should be enough for my stocking.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kanders87

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed the first sign of diatoms today. Hoping that the cleanup crew keeps it in check! I'm not even sure how many of what I have in there for clean up, I just took a portion from my 20 gallon CUC from ReefCleaners. So far they seem to be doing a good job but the next few weeks will challenge them I'm sure.
My duncan in this tank hasn't opened since I got it. I'm considering putting it in the fusion and seeing how it does. The two duncans in there are doing great.

Cameron Wise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I'm new to saltwater and had lots of experience with freshwater. I'm looking for a challenge. Can you please give me some simple advice on nano tanks? Thanks

OP
OP
kanders87

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updated photos. Tank is full of corals, so now to wait for them to grow out more :) So far, things are going wdll. Tank is staying relatively clean. I stir my sandbed regularly and change filter floss every 3-4 days which seems to make a huge difference vs. other tanks I've had.

IMG_1262.JPG

IMG_1252.JPG

IMG_1253.JPG

IMG_1257.JPG

OP
OP
kanders87

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I'm new to saltwater and had lots of experience with freshwater. I'm looking for a challenge. Can you please give me some simple advice on nano tanks? Thanks

Do lots of research prior to setup if you can. Patience is key! Most of it is trial and error though. In a nutshell, that's what I've learned.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back