6 Line Wrasse not doing so well

JenniferMcK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
l bought a 6 line wrasse a few days ago. I put it directly in qt with copper power at .85. I raised it up to 1.11 over 2 days time and it's not doing so well. It was initially eating very well and swimming a lot. Now it's been in the same spot for 2 days and hasn't eaten for 2 days and breathing very heavy. It's slime coat is also coming off as I can see it in the water around the wrasse. I am currently bringing the copper down and am going to do ttm with GC since I'm guessing it can't handle copper. Is there anything else I can do or use to prevent disease or help this little guy out? The slime coat coming off of it is really alarming.

image.jpg

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treat wrasses with copper power as well, it's the only copper i use. I do bring it up slower, it takes me about 4-6 days to bring it to 2.5ppm. I will dose in the morning and night. Some wrasses just do not do well with copper but i think when it is done slower it works better and is less of a shock. I think the fish going right into .85 may have been a bit much. i will have a fish in QT with no copper for 1-2 weeks unless it is currently showing signs of a parasite. Then increase slowly. This has worked for me on leopards, fairy's, flashers, and tamarins.

OP
OP
JenniferMcK

JenniferMcK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of copper are you using? Did the fish show signs of any parasites or are you using copper as a preventative?

Copper power as stated above. No it didn't show signs of disease but where I bought the fish, it's other tank mates showed signs of ick, but I'm qting all new fish and treating with copper power, GC, and abx as needed, from now on. My ammonia alert badge is yellow and I do daily or every other day water changes so all parameters stay spot on. The only other thing I can think of is flukes, but I haven't done a freshwater dip yet bc of how stressed it already is. But I am planning to GC when I get the copper down. The most concerning thing to me is the slime coat coming off and the fact it stopped eating

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper power as stated above. No it didn't show signs of disease but where I bought the fish, it's other tank mates showed signs of ick, but I'm qting all new fish and treating with copper power, GC, and abx as needed, from now on. My ammonia alert badge is yellow and I do daily or every other day water changes so all parameters stay spot on. The only other thing I can think of is flukes, but I haven't done a freshwater dip yet bc of how stressed it already is. But I am planning to GC when I get the copper down. The most concerning thing to me is the slime coat coming off and the fact it stopped eating

Sorry i saw the copper type the second time i read it and edited the post. Wrasses has a think slime coat but i agree if other fish it was kept with showed signs i would have done the same, just slower. Wrasses having the thicker slime coat will fend off ich better. TTM is a good option if you do not want to try copper again, personally if the fish is not showing any sings i would remove copper get it to eat again and after 1-2 weeks of normal eating i would start CP again but increase over a longer period of time. I feel better using copper than TTM, but that's my own preference.

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also Prazi should be part of your Qt, especially for wrasses.

OP
OP
JenniferMcK

JenniferMcK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry i saw the copper type the second time i read it and edited the post. Wrasses has a think slime coat but i agree if other fish it was kept with showed signs i would have done the same, just slower. Wrasses having the thicker slime coat will fend off ich better. TTM is a good option if you do not want to try copper again, personally if the fish is not showing any sings i would remove copper get it to eat again and after 1-2 weeks of normal eating i would start CP again but increase over a longer period of time. I feel better using copper than TTM, but that's my own preference.

See I prefer copper well. It's easier especially with Hannah checker. I think I will do as you suggest and bring the copper down and start the GC which has prazi in it and hopefully get it to eating again. I'm sure I most like did the copper too fast. Poor little guy.

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See I prefer copper well. It's easier especially with Hannah checker. I think I will do as you suggest and bring the copper down and start the GC which has prazi in it and hopefully get it to eating again. I'm sure I most like did the copper too fast. Poor little guy.

I agree with you, glad you have a plan for the little guy. Are you gong to be soaking the food in GC with Focus? If not Prazi is better for treating the entire tank IMO than GC for flukes. I soak the food in GC and focus if i'm targeting internal parasites. Gald to see you have the Hanna checker, it pays for it's self the first time around than trying to match colors!

OP
OP
JenniferMcK

JenniferMcK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you, glad you have a plan for the little guy. Are you gong to be soaking the food in GC with Focus? If not Prazi is better for treating the entire tank IMO than GC for flukes. I soak the food in GC and focus if i'm targeting internal parasites. Gald to see you have the Hanna checker, it pays for it's self the first time around than trying to match colors!
We'll since it's not eating as soon as copper is down, I'm going to does GC in water column. If he starts eating again I'll dose in the food as well for internal parasites. I don't have prazi on hand but I may order some, but I have been using GC and it's been successful for me. I just got 2 maroon clowns through 14 days of copper power and GC soaked food. They're now in a sterile qt and after 2 rounds of GC are doing really well. They will be going in my new 60 gallon tank I have upgraded from my original 30 gal. If the 6 line makes it, that will be my only 3 fish for my tank

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 20.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 27 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back