60 cube kitchen table build - almost ready for water!

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi!
I have been working on a new tank for a couple months now and it's almost done!

The goal was to end up with (only) two tanks. This has been a long time coming and was quite a challenge to find the time to make what I had envisioned.

The general idea was to get rid of the kitchen table and build a breakfast bar-type table around a fish tank to become the new kitchen table.

I used a basic "rocketengineer" structure for the stand. The idea was to have it be as open as possible. I also wanted the stand to be wider than the tank dimensions, so you must plan accordingly with stringers and structural plywood for the tank to rest on. This way I would have plenty of room for filtration and equipment. I then used Oak veneers to make the general design elements of the stand, and a Walnut butcher block top.

One design element I was intent on was to hide the bottom trim of the tank, so that it is recessed into the counter top. I liked this idea so that the visual was only seeing a glass box with no trim edges anywhere.

Cutting and working with the walnut was an enormous pain, as the wood is very dense (and thick), and it comes in a single huge 8'x2' block. First, I had to rip cut it length-wise and then cut into smaller pieces. Then I miter cut and krag jointed it and used a high performance wood filler to join the pieces. Then it's pretty much just tons of sanding and prep work and onto the staining and painting. The walnut top is done in a Danish Oil finish.

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out (very nearly done, just have to add the finishing touches).

I am consolidating what's left of my existing 37g kitchen tank along with what remains in my frag tanks into this 60g.

The main pieces will be a large Tyree toadstool and a clown pair, a few acros that have been growing out from tiny sticks for about two years now, an assortment of zoas, a Tyree Aquscene chalice, and my original Eunicea gorgonia (20 years old this year). Since I will be using water and rocks from existing tanks there will be no plan to "cycle" this. I should be up and running within the next week.

I am including some pics of the corals that will be moving over, along with my progress thus far. I'll post back in a few weeks when everything is settled in and looking good.

As for the gear, I had a general plan and have been accumulating stuff for many months. Most of this was bought used on the various boards, and I am very pleased with the quality of the gear I was able to accumulate at a cost MUCH lower than new.

Build:

-Deep Blue 60g Rimless tank
-Skimz SK181 Cone skimmer
-ATI 24" sunpower light (2x LED and 6x T5)
-MP40QD for flow
-Sicce syncra silent 3.0 return
-Precision Marine r24 sump

IMG_3696.JPG
IMG_3698.JPG
IMG_3701.JPG
IMG_3719.JPG
IMG_3721.JPG
IMG_3723.JPG
IMG_3724.JPG
IMG_3725.JPG

That's it for now! I'll post some more pics soon. Thanks for letting me show off my latest project!

-Ed

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excited to see this one. looking great thus far.
My Wife wants to do something similar in the future.

OP
OP
acro-ed

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks for the compliments, guys. I'm going to cheat a little and have a cabinet shop make the doors. In all honesty, since I'm not a carpenter and just dangerous enough with the wood shop stuff to "look" like I know what I'm doing, this has taken forever. I bet I have 30 hours in this just because I've had to take my time planning out how I would cut or join something. I'm very happy with where it's at, though. Most importantly, my wife is happy, which is the most critical final step. lol.

I'll get some more pics up soon.

Thanks,
Ed

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the look. The 'shelf' around the tank is something I've always liked. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. Having your stand basically the same exterior dimensions as the tank is great for strength, but limits your under-tank space somewhat. Does give you some legroom when you're sitting in front of it. I considered a wood 'top' on my current system, ended up going with mosaic tile.

FTS030117.jpg

OP
OP
acro-ed

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
***UPDATE***

It's been way too long, and the store manager at one of our local shops (Nicole, Ocala Reef) asked me to hop back on here and update the thread....

The tank is now 9 months old and some things are exactly as I had hoped, and some things are different.

For starters, I never put doors on this thing. My wife put up some kitchen type drapes over the openings (as a temporary measure) and we actually both like it and think it goes well with the kitchenette area (this is our kitchen breakfast table). I may still put doors on it later, but I like the ventilation and easy access if I need to get in there.

The ATI sunpower light is doing a great job. I have 6x T5 and 2x LED retro bars.

The MP40QD and the Sicce return pump have been good for flow, but now that some things have really taken off I may consider putting another powerhead in there (on low), just to get some more alternating current.

I finally maxxed out the kalk topoff as far as its ability to provide Ca/Alk for the SPS, so I have setup the doser which is working great.

Overall, in 9 months, the corals have basically doubled in size from what they were in the 37g.

All in all, I'm happy with it. My family likes watching the tank while we eat, and its a cool novelty. I have two more bar stools as well, sitting at a counter that is opposite of the tank; sometimes I'll pull one of both over if we need more seating at the same table.

At any rate, like all tanks, it's sort of a work in progress, but I'm happy so far!

I'll try to update again in a few months!

Thanks,
Ed

IMG_5810.jpg
IMG_5209.JPG
IMG_5809.jpg
IMG_5868.jpg
IMG_5869.jpg
IMG_6136.jpg
IMG_6140.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back