60 Gallon Cube Stand Build Question

• Thread starter member 99594
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

member 99594

View Badges
Hey all,

I am working on building a traditional stand from 2x4s as a frame.

In the past I had built one for an 80 with the corner overflow and one of the vertical supports (in RED) had to be chiseled away to make room for the bulkhead fitting to go into the bottom of the tank and allow enough room for the PVC to be connected. The way the image is on the sketch-up is the way I build this in the past and chiseled it.

see picture of past stand where I had to cut away part of the 2x4

Does anyone see a problem with rotating the RED 2x4 90 degrees to allow enough space to make the room for the PVC connection underneath the tank? Also, does it matter what way those inner supports should be positioned? because I could just put them all the same direction as the red one.

Thanks

Ian

Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 8.16.43 PM.png CC250E0E-00BE-4E0A-AF45-973085FD9196.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I am working on building a traditional stand from 2x4s as a frame.

In the past I had built one for an 80 with the corner overflow and one of the vertical supports (in RED) had to be chiseled away to make room for the bulkhead fitting to go into the bottom of the tank and allow enough room for the PVC to be connected. The way the image is on the sketch-up is the way I build this in the past and chiseled it.

see picture of past stand where I had to cut away part of the 2x4

Does anyone see a problem with rotating the RED 2x4 90 degrees to allow enough space to make the room for the PVC connection underneath the tank? Also, does it matter what way those inner supports should be positioned? because I could just put them all the same direction as the red one.

Thanks

Ian

Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 8.16.43 PM.png CC250E0E-00BE-4E0A-AF45-973085FD9196.jpeg
You won't have any issues strength wise doing that.

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done it before without issue. Or you could just use 1x4s. I built my 75g stand out of 1x4 (except 2x4s for the upper horizontals) and didn't even use those inside vertical supports. I just used a jig and pocket screws to put it all together and glue in all the joints. With a plywood skin that's also glued, it's plenty strong. I think people tend to way over-build their stands, which is fine though. Better to be safe than sorry.

OP
OP
M

member 99594

View Badges
I am going to try and sand down 2x4s and give them a dark stain. Maybe go for a rustic look.

45ing it will make for a cool look too.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back