60g cube with custom stand.

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This setup was initially built by another local reefer that sold it to me when he downsized to just a single larger tank. So while I did not build the tank per say, I've already started making quite a few changes to it and have more ideas bouncing around in my head.

The tank is a glass 60g Cube (2'x2'x2') and the stand was custom built by a local cabinet/stand builder. The wood used for the stand is Quarter Sawn White Oak.

This is what it looked like after reassembling it in our house...
Message_1491191933295.jpg

And here is the sump area after it was all put back together...
20170404_190515.jpg

With the tank all setup, I went about aquascaping it. Walter White had giving me several pieces of prime cut dry rock that I would be using as the foundation to build from with these ReefSaver rocks from BRS...
20170427_173131_HDR.jpg

But most of them felt either too much or too little, until I came up with this one...
20170428_104408.jpg

20170428_112129.jpg

20170428_114203.jpg

With the live sand and dry rock in, it was time to add the saltwater...
20170428_122701.jpg

20170429_111441.jpg

It took a couple of days for the water to clear up...
20170428_190156.jpg

But when it did, it looked like this...
Day0.jpg

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That evening I started my cycle with a raw shrimp in the sump. Speaking of the sump, here are a few more detail shots of that part of the tank.
20170404_153649.jpg

20170404_153637.jpg

20170505_084804.jpg

20170505_084819.jpg

Eight days into my cycle I noticed that I was already getting a decent about of salt creep in the sump area...
SaltCreep-182556.jpg

So I decide to make a Salt Shield on my laser to reduce the amount of spray that lands on areas that are harder to clean...
Salt%20Sheild.jpg

SaltCreep-193543.jpg

SaltCreep-193617.jpg

As you can see from that last photo, within seconds of putting it on it was already stopping a lot of spray from landing else where. Now I should be able to remove the shield and clean it up much easier than trying to clean everwhere else.

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started researching how I wanted to build my system, I had decided on going with an Apex controller. So the first major change I made to the system was to replace the DA Reef Keeper Elite with the new 2016 Apex.

20170813_065834.jpg

My modules are hidden behind the calcium jug...
20170813_065850.jpg

The new EB832s fit in the same spot as the RKE outlets did...
20170813_065948.jpg

One thing I think I will do in time is to buy some shorter USB cables to use instead of the ones that came with the Apes products. For the small footprint of my system, many of them are just too long and make cable management harder then it needs to be. I'm also kicking around some ideas for a new electronics panel and cable management solution. I might go so far as to even make a new sump tank out of acrylic.

I also picked up a Reef Octopus skimmer and setup the ATO system (the reservoir still has to be permanently placed and pumped from the closet behind the tank)...
20170813_065810.jpg

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also switched from the 250w MH to the Radion XR30 Pro Gen 4 for lighting.

Part of switching to the Apex system was getting the Automatic Feed System for when I was gone on trips. Unfortunately, there was no good place to place it on this setup. So, I had to make this shelf for it...

20170812_075630.jpg

20170812_075647.jpg

My initial testing with the AFS and PE Pellets that I'm feeding showed that the pellets would float on top to long and about 80%-90% of them would just go over the overflow (I'm trying to not turn off the pump while feeding). So I built in the feed chute you see on the right side. It sits in to the water about a half inch and contains the pellets until they start to sink.

20170812_080303.jpg

20170812_075856.jpg

20170812_080132.jpg

The major complaint about the AFS is that the food compartment comes open when you try and remove it, dumping a bunch of food into your tank. So avoid this, I plan to always unplug my AFS and remove it from the tank to refill the food. This meant I would have to have the bus cable laying around loose above the tank. Having to fish the cable out would be no fun, so I incorporated a pug hold onto the shelf...

20170812_080212.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have also added some corals and fish...

A good sized frogspawn (and its tuxedo urchin buddy)

Corals-Critters-9268-2.jpg

Shelly the Goniopora
Goniopora1-9453.jpg

The Dude, another Goniopora
Corals-Critters-9274.jpg

Some blue mushrooms
BlueMush-9454.jpg

A plate coral named Flatty
Corals-Critters-9272.jpg

And 4 Ricordea on a piece of live rock
BlueMush-9456.jpg

On a recent family vacation I found us driving by Alpha Aquaculture, a clownfish breeder. We spent about 1.5 hours there checking out their setups and all of the different designer clownfish that they breed. The kiddos really enjoyed seeing the newly (that morning!) hatched fry. The owner, Kris, was really nice and helped the wife and I pick out our new fish.

A Midnight Lighting Classic
AA-Clowns-9388.jpg

A Frostbite Extreme
AA-Clowns-9441.jpg

And a DaVinchi Extreme
AA-Clowns-9425.jpg

Yes, that is three clownfish in the same tank. I talked to Kris about this and checked out a couple of his tanks that had a trio living it it. While it does not always work out, it is possible to have three in the same tank. We'll be keeping a close eye on them for any signs of severe aggression. The Midnight Lighting was slightly bigger than the other two and has already established its self as the dominate fish of the three. The DaVinchi has completely submitted to it (doing the sideways shimmy dance) and the Frostbite has become the 3rd wheel and spends the daytime separated from the other two (they all still sleep together at night though). Aggression from the Midnight Lighting towards the Frostbite is not too bad right now. It just kind of patrols its area of the tank, keeping the Frostbite away and occasionally nipping at it. One day after doing some rearranging in the tank, it did get a bit aggressive and chased the Frostbite around the tank for a few minutes. Once the Midnight cornered the Frostbite during feeding time and did not let it eat (I "spot" fed it a little later though).

We knew going in that if the aggression was too much that we would have to either get a second tank (thinking maybe a nano for the office area) or get rid of one of the three. As the Frostbite and DaVinchi are the household favorites, the Midnight would be the one to go if it comes to that.

We also have a Lemonpeel Angle in QT right now.
20170809_204217.jpg

dsh92056

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually algae will occur for at least the first three months of a new set up. The bright side of it is that you have growth and living organisms in your tank just go with it as it's the beginning of any reef. Just use good water, don't over feed, don't over stock, don't feed your corals and if you have to do it sparingly, whatever goes in your tank you put it there so make sure you take it out weekly. Also a phos reactor is well with it. Just my two cents from working in a tropical fish store.

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually algae will occur for at least the first three months of a new set up. The bright side of it is that you have growth and living organisms in your tank just go with it as it's the beginning of any reef. Just use good water, don't over feed, don't over stock, don't feed your corals and if you have to do it sparingly, whatever goes in your tank you put it there so make sure you take it out weekly. Also a phos reactor is well with it. Just my two cents from working in a tropical fish store.

Yeah, I'm just shy of the 4 month mark so the algae bloom is not unexpected... still does not look nice! Lol My biggest concern with the algae is that I have gotten some bryopsis algae in the tank. I just started my Fluconazole treatment last night, so hopefully that will help with the other algae as well.

I'm pretty sure I kick started this bloom by broadcast feeding my corals Phyto-Feast and feeding my clowns multiple times a day. I've stopped both of those for now. I got the skimmer after bloom started and I've dialed my lights back to just the blue and UV channels to further combat the algae. I also have a GFO/Carbon reactor ready to go in once the Fluconazole treatment finishes. The wife signed off on giving me part of the closet behind the tank for the ATO reservoir, I might try and negotiate enough room to put all of the electronics in there as well and completely rebuild the sump to include a refugium.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool tank.
Loving the stand and the acrylic work.

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick update on my system. The lemonpeel did not make it though QT. I died suddenly just shy of the 3 week mark. I was a pretty sad day for my wife and little guy that really liked Zest as we had named him. I'm holding off on getting another fish right now as we are in the process of buying a new home. So it looks like a tank move is in my near future :(

The DT is doing well and it looks like the algae bloom is just about over. I did does Fluconazole back on the 18th because I had some Bryopsis popping up on some of the rock. With in 4 days the Bryopsis was all gone and a large portion of the algae bloom was gone as well (I had also added a bunch more snails to the CUC earlier that week). I did a 12% water change and I'm switching back to my regular lighting scheme as of today (I was running only the blue LEDs to help fight the algae).

Here are some FTS as it flows today, 122 days since startup...

Day122FTS-9661.jpg

Day122FTS-9662.jpg

Day122FTS-9663.jpg

Micksfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful setup! Do you work for an acrylic group or something? Wish I could just create a cover like ya did! Especially with a custom inscription saying what it's purpose is for! Looks super clean!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back