OP
OP
MadeForThat

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I definitely took the "follow with a brush" part of the paint directions as a suggestion, but it is definitely not.... Little did I know that "roll and tip" is a legitimate strategy for this type of paint:

good to know.... I may sand down what I already did in order to get a better finish on my final coat.

OP
OP
MadeForThat

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at large sheets of HDPE at the local Menards, and I can make all of my side panels out of one- 60$- 1/4" sheet. I could go White or Black, with one side textured and the other smooth. Warp seems to be a huge issue though. So either my panels need to be fully constrained, or the panels would need to be flattened. As I don't intend to have external fasteners, I think I may need to look into flattening large sheets of HDPE

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Wow, what a build! Absolutely following along :)

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I think that’s what makes it more fun to follow along :)

OP
OP
MadeForThat

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20210317_194337.jpg

all painted up
IMG_20210319_194233.jpg

assembled, and under the stand
IMG_20210319_194249.jpg

slide out!

It is getting to be a pretty expensive rack for my overalls!

OP
OP
MadeForThat

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefer Reboot It is kind of surreal to think I may be repairing and fixing this stand when I am 20 years older. If all goes according to plan, I have every detail documented and I could make a few more of these. Might be a good start to a reef rental business, with some level of system standardization and ease of maintenance. Wonder what businesses would be willing to pay for a setup and weekly maintenance... might be getting ahead of myself :)

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Reef rental systems", now there's an idea. Many doctor, dental and other such business's may be happy to avail themselves to this kind of service instead of having to outright buy all the capital equipment themselves.

OP
OP
MadeForThat

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are renting out a system for 100-150$ a month, and your system cost 5k (assuming you have to buy the apex) it would take between 3-4 years to recoup all of the costs....(minus additives, salt, equipment failures) Just need to get equipment with that long of a warranty period, and you are golden to make some low risk, passive income :) Lots of work maintaining a network of such systems. If anyone wants to throw a business loan at me, Ill give ya 10% future earnings ;)

Dryanimtt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dryanimtt hey thanks! I'm terrified that there isn't much extra room in the sump area, and I will have forgotten something haha. Hopefully I measured everything right!!
Yeah that's always the crux when designing for tight spaces. Even if you think you've accounted for everything there will be something you'd wish you'd done in hindsight. Unfortunately you really won't know until the system is running, the true test. But to be honest I think you've basically encompassed and accounted for the large part of your needs. The sump being able to pull out like that makes up for anything that was out of the initial scope.

OP
OP
MadeForThat

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20210328_222143.jpg

IMG_20210328_221925.jpg

IMG_20210328_221916.jpg

Bit of sanding and filling on the printed electric box. Planning to paint orange, I thought the print would turn out perfect, but it had a few cracks and bumps that I couldn't live with.

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back