65 gallon build thread

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok. so done filling my tank with water, my sump is 15 gallons, do i fill each chamber to the top? Also i have a 3 gallon resoirvoir, do i fill that to the top as well? bump
You want to leave enough space for water to come in from the overflow box to the sump in case of a power outage.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically, water in the sump might be around half, it must “flow” into the sump and fill each chamber to it reaches the return area.

Too high, you risk back flow spill (unless you use a one way valve) too, low, your return will deplete the water in its chamber and suck air.
BFD1756C-B6BE-4292-B33D-62DD02726DC7.jpeg

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update! Started cycling 5 days ago, and this is my tank paramaters. I want to go to a local expo this saturday, would these parameteres be ok for basic saltwater fish such as clownfish? Also i will test before we go, as the N03, No2, etc will be lower. Here are the parameters. I use red sea to test

Nitrite - 0.5
Nitrate - 0
Ammonia - 0

Salinity is 1.20 but i will raise it gradually by saturday. Is this ok?

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's fine, and up to you. You have that bacteria rock. Should be ready to go.
so 0.5 nitrite is ok? Sorry i just want to make sure. On the red sea test kit, it has 0, 0.05, 0.1, 0.2, 0.5 and 1. It read 0.5. Thanks so much, im a bit confused and dont want my livestock to die lol

Attachments

• 1626372138189.png
    1626372138189.png
    613.4 KB · Views: 35

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, you know how everyone on here feels about quarantine. You are going to have a form of nitrates unless you run macro algae. I always used macro algae, never went without it. But, without high nitrates it will die.
So yes, aquarium keeping is confusing. You can start with a pair of clowns.
Before you do. Drop in a piece of small shrimp. Not a whole shrimp. A small chunk. the size of a pinky nail.
For a few days watch your ammonia levels. If you don't get a spike in ammonia, you should be set.

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you know how everyone on here feels about quarantine. You are going to have a form of nitrates unless you run macro algae. I always used macro algae, never went without it. But, without high nitrates it will die.
So yes, aquarium keeping is confusing. You can start with a pair of clowns.
Before you do. Drop in a piece of small shrimp. Not a whole shrimp. A small chunk. the size of a pinky nail.
For a few days watch your ammonia levels. If you don't get a spike in ammonia, you should be set.
would a piece of salmon be ok? My family isnt a shrimp eating family, plus we probably arent going to the grocery store. We also have different types of dead fish, would those be ok? Thanks so much!

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Use a white fish meat. If you have it. If not, I guess salmon is okay. Just don't feed pink salmon meat to your fish. And remove it after a couple of days. usually bacteria will make quick work of the dead food.. Fish love shrimp. But you're probably going to feed mysis or pellets.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back