65 gallon - Ocean liverock - No QT - No dosing

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree. I cringe when I see a tank with all dead, white rock and notice some expensive angelfish or tangs in there with that blank look on their faces. (after you keep fish for decades and spent more time under water than above it, you will notice this) :D

Then unfortunately you see them on the disease forum looking for some medication to cure that their aquascape actually caused.

Bacteria in a bottle? Like seriously!!!!!!.

I don't get the idea of dead rock. People will spend $350.00 on a controller and buy cheap dead rock. They may as well go to Home Depot and buy cinder blocks for a couple of bucks to put in their tank as it is exactly the same thing.

Maybe they can smash a few holes in the cinder blocks to make a cave. :oops:

I have no idea what real live rock costs but whatever it costs, buy it. Forget hitchhikers. They will die out on their own. I throw everything from the sea in my tank and have no hitchhikers I don't like.

I don't think you and me break all the rules. We originally made the rules, then someone invented the internet and people made up new rules that don't work.

I am done ranting for now. :rolleyes:
I've always run tanks the 'new' way since I started, and I have to say I really missed out. I started this current system with CaribSea "lifeRock" (anything but!) and the ugly phase was unreal. The rock is over 3 years old now, but it still can't resist algae from growing on it and choking out my acros! I always do the same thing when at the lfs, they'll have a small section in their invert tank full of hitchhiker whelks and oddball crabs that they don't trust in their tanks. Guess where they are? xD
I took a hint from you and started adding more rock, so that my hiding spots are now doubled. I still could use some more lol I've also done a few bottles, which are now my favorite things in the tank! Somehow they made it look more authentic. Don't ask me how.
Forgive my fanboying xD What I'm trying to say is that, as someone who started out with the sterile tanks some 8 years ago, this is what I've found independently of the forum. It's always worlds better to have live rock from the getgo. I hope to get some of that Aussie stuff from UC at some point, it's outrageously expensive but I only want a few shards of it. After that my rock wall will be done & hopefully I'll make up for not starting with live.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr_Knightly Its true that you can add seemingly un natural things like bottles and they can look very natural. I think I have 8 or 9 bottles in my tank and you will have to look hard to see most of them. The fish also love them and spawn in all of them. But I wouldn't just take a bottle and throw it in as it needs some preparation.

That is a Grand Marnier cognac bottle.

And this is some kind of a beer bottle. Very hard to see but very cheap "decorations"

I "made" these bottles look like this.

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m kinda digging these pipe organ corals. The poor man’s Goni? Lol

7F96A8E0-1F6A-48DE-85F4-A97BECED4DC6.jpeg
Nice build... Also agree with a lot of the concepts you and Paul adhere to. I don't QT... My tank is about 15 months old (so fairly young) I do dip corals but fish go right in. I know I have (had) ich in my tank at one point but haven't seen a spot on anything including tangs for about 8 months or so I think. I feed them well which includes daily feedings of fresh clams Ive cut up. Black worms etc.. I feel fairly confident that if a new fish will eat when added it will survive/thrive in my tank. I think I am up to 27 fish - hard to count as I have so many hiding places.

Anyway, nice pipe Oregon coral. I put a similar looking frag in early on and it took off to the point I had to take it out.. It had tripled in size over a 6 month period. I had it on a rock that can't be removed so I had to cut it out.. not an easy task as it breaks apart and leaves a lot of "bits" in the tank which will keep going. Looks like you have yours isolated which you will be thankful for.

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree. I cringe when I see a tank with all dead, white rock and notice some expensive angelfish or tangs in there with that blank look on their faces. (after you keep fish for decades and spent more time under water than above it, you will notice this) :D
I ordered only 15lbs from KP and got bryopsis, green turf and red turf. I can handle the 10 gorilla crabs I found and byropsis, but this turf algae is not joke. Real live rock is awesome, but it’s a gamble for sure.

OP
OP
Sump Crab

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered only 15lbs from KP and got bryopsis, green turf and red turf. I can handle the 10 gorilla crabs I found and byropsis, but this turf algae is not joke. Real live rock is awesome, but it’s a gamble for sure.
I’d be willing to bet there are some other factors going on here.

OP
OP
Sump Crab

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The old man came out.... known him longer than I've
20210728_131135.jpg
known my wife lol

May my long time friend RIP. I haven’t seen Sherlock for a week or two. I’m afraid Sherlock has left us for a better place. It was a great run of around 12 years buddy!

OP
OP
Sump Crab

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big news! I upgraded to a 65 gallon!
03AA0120-07BB-4005-BAD8-0EB570AE0F14.jpeg

to:

B0EF79B3-6D4C-43AB-A217-B26C8A5FD16C.jpeg

The 65 gallon fit my stand I had built for my 40 gallon. The 65 is significantly larger than the 40 AIO. Plus now I have a sump too. I am going to fill this with mostly softies, a lot of leathers and mushrooms!

OP
OP
Sump Crab

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a cool little plate this weekend. Traded it for a nice hammer frag.

Also traded a shroom for these VERY neon green Kenya tree. Atleast I believe them to be Kenya.

And last but not least a nice green sinularia frag too, traded for some zoas.
9C7E24D0-7ACC-4FBB-A937-5EEAECB055E6.jpeg
ABBE6BBF-01CC-4080-BD59-6DB680DFB6EB.jpeg
62C05CB2-355A-495D-85C9-BA26C59BC2DA.jpeg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 76.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back