View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna Instruments 7 in 1 Marine Checker/Photometer

^ ^
II II
II II
Has anyone had any experience with one of these? I know they are new to the market; I don't even know if they are released yet. But it seems like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Would love to hear all of your opinions.

I am quite new to the reef game; I currently have about a 6 week old Fluval 13.5 with several recommended [ from you guys :) ] upgrades.
Tank inhabitants include:
2 benggai cardinal fish, emerald crab and 3 snails, LTA, green birdsnest, two zoa varieties, green leptoseris, emerald city cyphastrea, and molten lava chalice.

I am using these water test kits. Are these reliable? How often I should be checking the tank and which should I check more than others?
Fluval Saltwater Check Kit: pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate
Salifert Phosphate
Salifert Alkilinity
ATI Calcium

Phosphate kit can be difficult to read accurately. Most importantly, I have trouble reading the phosphate kit. Are there any others out there, both digital and non-digital, that I can use instead? Not trying to break the bank here, but will if you all think it is necessary.

Thanks all, have a happiest day!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience, but from what I understand it basically combines those 7 separate test kits into one with a logging feature and more instructions. If you don't have any Hanna kits and were planning to get some - it's probably a good investment.

I don't have any experience with the Fluval kits, but the Salifer ones are reliable. I like Nyos for nitrates and phosphates but also run the Hanna digital kits.

yanetterer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the individual eggs better. I can independently test instead of waiting for 1 to complete before testing for another.
Same. I can test something else while waiting for Phosphate and Magnesium to count down (if I remember to hold the button down).

Also, the process for testing nitrate looks too cumbersome, I already have multiple other ways to test pH, and I haven't tested nitrite in almost 15 years. So that leaves phosphate, alkalinity, and calcium as the only three tests that would be useful to me. The reviews on the calcium checker aren't that great, so that leaves me with two useful tests for $400.

It would be nice to not have to store so many test kits though.

OP
OP
borrowedthemoon

borrowedthemoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I get the phosphate LR or the other one? So far I’ve seen consistent levels below .1. Does that mean I need the LR one? What if for some reason they are above that? Does the LR one just say .9 or does it say something like CAL or ZER or something?

BiCoastal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 7 in 1 and love it. It is a nice kit. I can’t compare it to the individual ones as I have never owned the individual Hanna testers. But compared to other non digital testers, Hanna ones are a lot easier to use, and have a good reputation.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna Instruments 7 in 1 Marine Checker/Photometer

^ ^
II II
II II
Has anyone had any experience with one of these? I know they are new to the market; I don't even know if they are released yet. But it seems like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Would love to hear all of your opinions.

I am quite new to the reef game; I currently have about a 6 week old Fluval 13.5 with several recommended [ from you guys :) ] upgrades.
Tank inhabitants include:
2 benggai cardinal fish, emerald crab and 3 snails, LTA, green birdsnest, two zoa varieties, green leptoseris, emerald city cyphastrea, and molten lava chalice.

I am using these water test kits. Are these reliable? How often I should be checking the tank and which should I check more than others?
Fluval Saltwater Check Kit: pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate
Salifert Phosphate
Salifert Alkilinity
ATI Calcium

Phosphate kit can be difficult to read accurately. Most importantly, I have trouble reading the phosphate kit. Are there any others out there, both digital and non-digital, that I can use instead? Not trying to break the bank here, but will if you all think it is necessary.

Thanks all, have a happiest day!

All the eggs in one basket?

I think I'd rather buy separate eggs and treat them like ummmn eggs.

Plus I can use multiple eggs at the same time rather than waiting.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my knowledge you still cannot purchase a reagent replacement kit for this tester.
Seams pretty silly for that to not be available as a simple mater of convenience for users.

robottaway

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In every hobby I have gotten myself into I eventually end up wanting to be fully modular rather than all in one. Example bing my first “hi-fi” which was an AIWA all in one (speakers, amp, media players, tuner) vs now owning separate amp, speakers, media players etc.

Jason_MrFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
There is currently a version out. Buddy said that next version has 2 additional tests. As his was in for calibration, they loaded brand new firmware on it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back