Arom81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone

I originally posted this in another thread but decided to expand on it a little and put it here…

I have been watching reefing videos on YouTube for around 10 years and have always wanted to get into the hobby.

Around 4 years ago I purchased a used 270 Lt CADE HL800 tank (800w x 600d x 550h) but still didn't have the time to commit. I run two business, in the pumping and irrigation industry.
But I’ve recently decided that I’m going all in.
My goal is to use this tank to learn the ins and outs and then progress to a larger tank that will be front and centre in my bar/den.

I have already ordered a lot of equipment and waiting for bits and pieces to arrive.
I love home automation and plan on integrating automation into this tank also.
I'm going to take my time setting this up and get the foundation right from day one.

The components are:
- Neptune controller, ATK, DOS for auto WC, FMK and COR return pump
- Clarisea roller mat 3000
- Nyos 120 skimmer
- Aqua UV 25w
- Schego 300w heater
- AI Nero 5 x 2
- Maxpect razor light (in time will convert to aquatic life hybrid t5 with radion)
- Marco rocks
- Refugium

All of the pipework is 1” schedule 80. I’m using a Herbie overflow going into the sump with union ball valve and Neptune flow meter installed.
The return line back to the DT will split into two. One line will tee off to the UV steriliser, before the UV is a union ball valve to control the volume I put through the UV. After the UV is a Neptune Flow meter to verify the flow rate.

The other return also has Union ball valve and flow meter and will return back up to the main DT. Both lines have random flow nozzles for return.

It might be overkill considering I have the COR pump that can ramp up and down but I figure that I will have detailed information of the exact flow in and out of the system.

Water from the DT is plumbed directly into the Clarisea roller mat. This is in the same chamber as the Nyos skimmer and Schego 300w heater. If I choose to run carbon at some point, I’ll use a Nyos Torq in this chamber also.

After this chamber the water will pass through a bubble trap and into the refugium. In here there is some Sera Siporax media. I plan on adding some chaeto, pods and either a Kessil or AI fuge light in here also.

Next chamber is the return and a Neptune COR 20 is my return pump.

I’m using the Neptune ATK for top off that will come directly from the mixing station. I know I need some sort of redundancy for this. I have some Neptune solenoids but I’ve read they can be hit and miss. I’m thinking of using an electric ½” ball valve with spring to closed state if it fails.
I’m also testing some level sensors on the mixing station while the tank cycles.

For that I’m using Flowline DX10 1” ultrasonic level sensors, they will be fine in large storage containers but not sure about on top of a small return chamber???

I plan on doing a long cycle so I have plenty of time to test all of this out.

The water changes will be done by the Neptune DOS directly from the NSW storage, this will also have the same ½” electric ball valve as safety.
I have some small flow meters to put on all of this also to monitor.
These valves will also be installed on the ro/di system for safety and also sequence to flush before and after filling.

Transferring from ro/di to salt tank will be an electric 3-way valve and external pump. The valve will transfer ro water to salt and also recirculate the new salt water in a closed loop for mixing.

Now to try and get the Apex to play nice with all of this equipment...

The light that came with the tank was a maxpect razor, this will be fine for a while but in time i want to install the aquatic life led/t5 hybrid with some radions or kessils.

Down the track I will dose 2 part with a second DOS unit and if/when its available again, a trident to control the dosing.

I’ve used Marco Rock for the scape and haven’t settled on the sand just yet.

In terms of Livestock I would like:

Pair of black storm clowns
Yellow tang
Starry or lawnmower blenny
A wrasse
Flame angel or coral beauty
Some anthias or chromis
Sand sifting goby
Dottyback
Cleaner shrimp
Clam

Sounds pretty ambitious for a first tank, but like i said. I've been reading and watching this stuff for a decade. I feel like i have a good base of knowledge for a solid foundation.

I’ll post some pictures soon when i get some more gear, with the virus impacting everything it is taking so bloody long for all of this equipment to arrive.

Cheers Adrian

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds great and let’s have these pictures when you get chance

Welcome to R2R as well!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun....
pics!!!..we all love pics.. :)

OP
OP
A

Arom81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bits and pieces starting to come together...

Waiting in another stand to install Neptune gear and sit a quarantine tank on.

I think the plumbing is a lock. I'll glue it all this weekend hopefully.

Lesson learnt. Don't try and pull your scape apart to see if it would look better if one rock was moved slightly. It just doesn't go back together the same way does it.

Happy with the result though. Tried some aquaforest stone fix with a little success. You have to use that stuff pretty quickly hey!?

20200505_113936.jpg 20200505_114014.jpg 20200505_115932.jpg 20200505_120818.jpg 20200505_120826.jpg 20200505_120938.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
looking good ,time for a build tread and badge :cool:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back