75 gal. stocking help

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am helping my friend decide on a stocking list for his new tank. He is upgrading from a 36 gallon bowfront to a 75 gallon. The 75 is equipped with a sump. The fish he is moving from the 36 to the 75 once it is cycled are a 8-10 inch snowflake eel and a rust angel. The tank was just filled and started cycling today. RO/DI water, instant ocean reef crystals, caribsea live sand and aquavitro seed were used in the set up process. He plans on waiting a week and adding a clean up crew. Recommendations for a clean up crew would be appreciated, he would like an urchin. He would like to have a diamond goby for the sand, a starry blenny, a pair of ocellaris clowns and a blue tang. He would like to have corals (whatever the angel won't pick on)
* What are some other fish he could add that would be reef safe?

* when should he add them? After how many weeks, in what order etc. I recommended the snowflake eel be added close to last so the clowns have time to establish themselves.

* Would it be okay to add the sand goby with the clean up crew after a week of cycling? Taking into account bacteria booster and live sand were used.

* Does he need to wait two weeks in between adding each fish? I was told this is to allow the biological filter to get used to the new bioload and for the fish to get used to their new environment. How true is this?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any fish that are close to being able to fit in the eels mouth will end up food. As for clean up crew urchins are fine. For snails/crabs go to reefcleaners.org and get the package for a 40b. Don't add any CuC until algae is showing up.

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any fish that are close to being able to fit in the eels mouth will end up food. As for clean up crew urchins are fine. For snails/crabs go to reefcleaners.org and get the package for a 40b. Don't add any CuC until algae is showing up.
Okay sweet! Thank you. How long before he can add fish, should he add the sand goby with the clean up crew? Should he add the angel first so it’s waste can start the cycle?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay sweet! Thank you. How long before he can add fish, should he add the sand goby with the clean up crew? Should he add the angel first so it’s waste can start the cycle?
I'd check with people more familiar with predator tanks. I believe the sand goby will end up as food. Size depending maybe the angel as well.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of cycle threads on here to read up on ways to manage the cycle and when you can add fish.

Back