75 gallon fish stocking

nsroberts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this overstocked Or bad stocking for a 75? This only includes the fish though

2 black storm clowns

8-10 blue green chromis

1 flasher wrasse

1 starry blenny

2-3 neon/cleaner/shark nose gobies

1 mated pair of orange striped prawn gobies

1 geometric Pygmy hawk

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this overstocked Or bad stocking for a 75? This only includes the fish though

2 black storm clowns

8-10 blue green chromis

1 flasher wrasse

1 starry blenny

2-3 neon/cleaner/shark nose gobies

1 mated pair of orange striped prawn gobies

1 geometric Pygmy hawk
Most of the list looks fine to me, though my experience is fairly limited (mostly to research)...

One standout issue is the 8-10 chromis. This will probably be too many for a 75-gallon tank, both for bioload considerations (depending on filtration/nutrient export) and for territoriality. The typical blue-green chromis are known for fighting and killing each other down to only one unless the tank is very large. It might work (maybe better with only 5), but there are many accounts of this dramatic loss with chromis. From my research, it is also much more likely if there are no other larger fish to keep the chromis somewhat intimidated.

I am planning a 125-gallon reef right now in which I would like to keep a small group of chromis, but I will have a couple tangs and a foxface to hopefully keep the chromis a bit wary and more peaceful. There will also be much more space in my 125 than in a 75. Some have reported success with chromis groups, but I have yet to see if I can succeed...

Hopefully others with more experience will share advice as well.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back