75 Gallon FOWLR beginner tank (build thread)

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO hi. I have been asking questions and researching for the 3 months. So finally... IM about to start in a month. Ive got questions, want to make a log and help other people in my situation. Did a lot of freshwater. Lets start.

DIY AIO sump btw + 48 inch x 18 inch x 18 inch

EQUIPMENT
Aqua one G220 skimmer
Aqua one maxi return
Aqua one heater
Random lights

20kg (45lbs) lr
filter socks
RO buddie
filter floss
ceramic bio media
Chaeto

Untitled.png

LAYOUT

Stocking (in order of adding)
Foxface
clowns
pajama cardinal
naokos wrasse
midas blenny
coral hogfish
regal angelfish
tomini tang

Feeding schedule
Monday - frozen mysis and frozen copepod mixture + nori on algae clip + angelfish mix
Tuesday - hikari marine s and a (2 tsp each approx.) as well as sea weed extreme + angelfish mix
wednesday - Frozen pods + nori on clip + angelfish mmix
thursday - frozen Mysis + Hikari marine s and a
friday - frozen pods + nori + gel foods + angelfish mix
saturday - frozen mysis + pods + halfshell clams + nori on clips
sunday - Masstick + nori + halfshell clams + mysis

*pods are frozen

All foods are enriched with selcon and fish V.
Masstick will be placed at random times, in different spots like the glass or rock.
thawed in ro water

Questions

Skimmer is too large? rated for 400l

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer is fine assuming it fits.
You won’t need chaeto for a bit. When it’s time, you’ll need to light it on a reverse lighting schedule.
Not sure you need any media balls or similar in your sump assuming good reef rock in your DT.
Filter sock, if you can run multiple socks, that cuts down on changing.

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would like to update stocking

Foxface
gold head sleeper goby
naokos wrasse
midas blenny
coral hogfish
regal angelfish
yellow head butterfly/ teardrop butterfly (whichever one i find first)
harlequin bass (not sure)
mandarin (spotted)
electric indigo dottyback
pygmy coral croucher

overstocked or no?

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would like to update stocking

Foxface
gold head sleeper goby
naokos wrasse
midas blenny
coral hogfish
regal angelfish
yellow head butterfly/ teardrop butterfly (whichever one i find first)
harlequin bass (not sure)
mandarin (spotted)
electric indigo dottyback
pygmy coral croucher

overstocked or no?
I'm not sure about the butterfly or angelfish in this size tank. Both of these fish require a minimum of 125. - look into dwarf angels (I am a huge fan of flame angels and coral beauties). If you are going to upgrade or rehome and you get them when they are super small.
Make sure that your tank is well established before adding the mandarin. There's a good video on youtube about how to get them eating frozen if they don't already.

I linked the website of liveaquaria so that you can use it to base some decisions for fish. If you really think a fish will fit in your tank but Liveaquaria doesn't seem to think so, come back to the forum and just research that fish and see what kind of systems people are putting that fish in.

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With filter socks, just don't forget to change them out regularly since food can get caught in them and break down and hinder how well your skimmer works. If you haven't already, there are a ton of great videos that BRS puts out on starting saltwater tanks. I'd recommend watching some of those

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With filter socks, just don't forget to change them out regularly since food can get caught in them and break down and hinder how well your skimmer works. If you haven't already, there are a ton of great videos that BRS puts out on starting saltwater tanks. I'd recommend watching some of those
nearly watched them all! XD

I'm not sure about the butterfly or angelfish in this size tank. Both of these fish require a minimum of 125. - look into dwarf angels (I am a huge fan of flame angels and coral beauties). If you are going to upgrade or rehome and you get them when they are super small.
Make sure that your tank is well established before adding the mandarin. There's a good video on youtube about how to get them eating frozen if they don't already.

I linked the website of liveaquaria so that you can use it to base some decisions for fish. If you really think a fish will fit in your tank but Liveaquaria doesn't seem to think so, come back to the forum and just research that fish and see what kind of systems people are putting that fish in.

The angelfish needs about a 4foot by 2 foot, and since my tank is about 4 foot by 18 inch i think it might be fine. I will rehome if stressed tho. Teardrops seem to be ideal for 75 gallons on alot of other places other than live aquaria (reef2reef, reefcentral, other sites). Will dose phyto, add copeods weekly (from a copepod culture) and train it to feed frozen/prepared. SInce I will be feeding frozen copepods, hopefully it will entice it to eat. Its a heavy bioload so yea

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nearly watched them all! XD

The angelfish needs about a 4foot by 2 foot, and since my tank is about 4 foot by 18 inch i think it might be fine. I will rehome if stressed tho. Teardrops seem to be ideal for 75 gallons on alot of other places other than live aquaria (reef2reef, reefcentral, other sites). Will dose phyto, add copeods weekly (from a copepod culture) and train it to feed frozen/prepared. SInce I will be feeding frozen copepods, hopefully it will entice it to eat. Its a heavy bioload so yea
As long as you have a backup plan! Make sure that your export of nutrients can keep up with what you're putting into the tank. What have you set up so far?

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not much. Got a leg injury so couldnt do a lot other than a leak testand some sketches.
I cant really work until mid february as the doctor said :(

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question- Is agressive GFO and Carbon to bring down nutrate and phosphate levels to 0ppm fine in a fowlr. I do not need to have a specific nitrate level as i dont have corals right?. Will the fish be fine?

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question- Is agressive GFO and Carbon to bring down nutrate and phosphate levels to 0ppm fine in a fowlr. I do not need to have a specific nitrate level as i dont have corals right?. Will the fish be fine?
I would definitely let the tank fully cycle before adding fish. Fish can get nitrate poisoning if the levels are too high. You're really aiming at <10ppm. I wouldn't use gfo right off the bat- that way you can get a baseline of where your tank is at naturally- I'm not going to claim to be an expert on this since I am fighting phosphates in my own tank. Carbon is fine to run. I'd let the tank cycle until ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite read 0 and then add fish. Some people add cheap fish to get the tank cycling faster, I personally think that this is mean to the fish. I'd recommend just adding some bacteria, a piece or two of live rock (if you're not already starting with live) and wait. My first tank sat for about a month before it ever got fish put into it. Nothing good ever comes quickly in this hobby! Patience is definitely your friend. I made tons of mistakes with my first tank- especially using tap water. If you haven't already, look into geting an RODI system- it will save you a ton of headache.

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually wait til they're all 0 but you can do >10 nitrate and things will be fine. I hardly ever read nitrate in my system since it's been established. I also don't have very many fish in it yet. I don't see a reason why that RODI system woulnd't work. I use the aquatic life 4 stage but it doesn't seem like that's available on your amazon.

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, you don't have to wait a set time, just once your parameters make sense.
Im still waiting that long because of microfauna.
I usually wait til they're all 0 but you can do >10 nitrate and things will be fine. I hardly ever read nitrate in my system since it's been established. I also don't have very many fish in it yet. I don't see a reason why that RODI system woulnd't work. I use the aquatic life 4 stage but it doesn't seem like that's available on your amazon.
k I will.

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, what bout a tank full of smaller butterflies, a tang or 2, dwarf angels, regal and a hogfish? would it work
lemme give you a broader idea

Sunset butterfly
pearscale butterfly
atlantic longnose butterfly
foxface
regal angel
Tomini tang
coral hogfish
keyhole angel
Naokos wrasse
trio of coral crouchers
sunburst butterfly

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely would not put that many large fish into a 75 gallon. Just because they meet the "minimum" requirement, doens't mean it's a good idea. Especially with that many fish barely fitting into the minimum requirement. You can do probably one butterfly, a fox (one spot), tomini, wrasse, coral crouchers and the hogfish. You definitely cannot house the sunburst butterfly or the regal long term as they really get big. You need to accont for the adult size of these fish. Put some dwarfs to bring those bright colors you want and add some fun wrasses and such. It would be a more interesting tank with smaller fish (in my opinion) that get to swim all around than too many large fish cramped into that size tank.

Back