75 gallon mixed reef build

Oscar72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So couple weeks ago I decided to convert my freshwater planted tank over to a mixed reef. So here are a hand full of pics from the transformation. I used a Eshoppe overflow box by drill the back of the glass, I'm just using a standard return line that hooks over the side. Did really want to press my luck drill another hole and this way I can move it if Id like. I'm running a Nano reef currently I will move over the corals soon. The tank has been cycling now for about 2.5 weeks.

Currently running one Kessil Deep Blue 150, and a small 15k light. Will move over my Kessil A160we and add one more. So I'll be running 2 A160we on the controller and one A150 Deep blue. I had it so I figure may as will use it. I do like the 15k-20k look. Added a 24w Apollo Horticulture bulb on the sump and my Micro Algae has more the tripled in size over the last 4 days. Using a Aquamedic 100 skimmer from when I had a 220 gallon. Its a great skimmer and had lots of good results with it so just added here.

IMG_2714.jpeg IMG_2746.jpeg

IMG_2748.jpeg

IMG_2830.jpeg

IMG_2853.jpg

IMG_2858.jpg

IMG_2860.jpg

IMG_2859.jpg

IMG_2881.jpg

IMG_2886.jpg

IMG_2851.jpg

IMG_2897.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oscar72

Oscar72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently running one Kessil Deep Blue 150, and a small 15k light. Will move over my Kessil A160we and add one more. So I'll be running 2 A160we on the controller and one A150 Deep blue. I had it so I figure may as will use it. I do like the 15k-20k look. Added a 24w Apollo Horticulture bulb on the sump and my Micro Algae has more the tripled in size over the last 4 days. Using a Aquamedic 100 skimmer from when I had a 220 gallon. Its a great skimmer and had lots of good results with it so just added here.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Welcome to the forum!

OP
OP
Oscar72

Oscar72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few updated pictures. I moved the the last of the live rock, corals, and my True Percula Clown, Rainford Goby, and Emerald Green (he is red in color) Crab. One reason to go bigger is the large Toad Stool which is just started to open in the pic. It pretty much shaded everything thing is the Nano. I moved all the corals last night and took the pics this morning, so everything is slowing opening up. The right side needs to fill in a little, maybe one more good piece to cap it off. I dont want to fill much more, other then the rock thats on the corals I get. I liked a few more fish so I what them to have swimming room (trophy fish will be Power Blue Tang) . Tried to make it look like I took a section of reef from the sea floor.

IMG_2914.jpg

IMG_2915.jpg

IMG_2916.jpg

IMG_2917.jpg

IMG_2919.jpg

IMG_2920.jpg

IMG_2921.jpg

IMG_2922.jpg

IMG_2923.jpg

Chef Tommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job man, enjoy the updates on a fellow reefers 75! I’m doing a bunch of updates on my 75 currently as well [emoji4]

Chef Tommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock setup looks great! I’m going to change mine around a bit because I just had a dino outbreak! Currently it looks similar to your setup but I’ve covered too much of my sand bed which is limiting flow.

OP
OP
Oscar72

Oscar72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock setup looks great! I’m going to change mine around a bit because I just had a dino outbreak! Currently it looks similar to your setup but I’ve covered too much of my sand bed which is limiting flow.
Thanks Tommy, I did most the bigger stuff out of the tank. Trying to keep it open, like to do fish.

OffTopic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, your planted tank did aswell but I am sure this one will be 100% better. I really like your aquascape

OP
OP
Oscar72

Oscar72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks like the Clown fish are pairing and swimming together. Not having anywhere for them to go, put in a Magnificent Anemone. I have a 2 foot Long Tentacle and Clarke Clown in a 220 with success, over a year when I broke it down. So I'll give this one a shot. I placed it at the bottom but it has moved up the rock work right in the path of high flow and almost directly under one of the Kessil 160we. I've got good flow and good lighting.

Any advice?

IMG_3069.jpg

IMG_3068.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks like the Clown fish are pairing and swimming together. Not having anywhere for them to go, put in a Magnificent Anemone. I have a 2 foot Long Tentacle and Clarke Clown in a 220 with success, over a year when I broke it down. So I'll give this one a shot. I placed it at the bottom but it has moved up the rock work right in the path of high flow and almost directly under one of the Kessil 160we. I've got good flow and good lighting.

Any advice?

IMG_3069.jpg

IMG_3068.jpg

Looks like a beautiful specimen. Just let him go where he wants and he should be happy. Always good to cover any powerheads or gyres you have (with mesh, foam, etc.).

OP
OP
Oscar72

Oscar72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after putting in the new nem (@ noon) it moved its way up the rock and stop. It stayed open until 7pm when the light start ramping down. Meanwhile the clown hovering but not going into the nem. A little after 7pm the mouth of the nem opens wide, it was at the point (I had also added a photo of clowns in a nem.) the clown fish start picking at the mouth of the nem. Around 9pm the nem is closed and my smaller (assuming male) start rubbing up against the nems body. This goes on for about 10 mins and then the female (larger one) joins in the fun. Still at the point the nem is closed up but the two clowns are trying. This morning I wake up a check, and this is what I found. The light are off at this point, will post more as the day goes on. So my clowns seemed to pair only after a week and now are swimming together within the nem.

IMG_3080.jpg

IMG_3076.jpg

IMG_3077.jpg

IMG_3079.jpg

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 7 6.2%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 56 49.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 15.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back