75 Gallon stocking advice

ReeferCO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R,

I have recently upgraded my nano tank to a standard 75 gallon. The tank dimensions are 48”x18”x21”. I have a 30 gallon sump running filter socks, protein skimmer, area for a fuge (no fuge currently). This is going to be a mixed reef tank and currently consists of sps, lps, and soft corals. I also have a 2” sand bed suitable for wrasse along with a tight fitting lid.

Below I will list my current fish and subsequently the fish I am hoping to stock. I am open to suggestions.

current stocking list:
2 ocellaris clownfish
2 firefish
1 watchman gobi/tiger pistol shrimp

what I am hoping to stock:
1 bristletooth tomini tang
1 McCosker’s wrasse
1 Exquisite wrasse
1 Melanarus wrasse(possibly substitute for a Radiant wrasse?).

Current CUC:
9 blue and red leg hermits
1 fighting conch
4 astrea snails
1 skunk cleaner shrimp

I am aware that there is a risk to the CUC with the Melanarus wrasse. I have also read several people that have not had a huge issue.

I am being told by my LFS to stock the tomini tang before the wrasse. I have read some information that leads me to believe I may want to stock the tomini last but I am uncertain.

I also have very limited experience keeping wrasse. If 3 wrasse in a 75 gallon is too many, or this is not the correct mix, I am open to suggestions. I have put the wrasse in the order I think I would stock them based on the research I have done, but I am not confident in this order.

Once again thank you in advance for any advice! I have already learned a ton from reef and look forward to continuing to learn!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R,

I have recently upgraded my nano tank to a standard 75 gallon. The tank dimensions are 48”x18”x21”. I have a 30 gallon sump running filter socks, protein skimmer, area for a fuge (no fuge currently). This is going to be a mixed reef tank and currently consists of sps, lps, and soft corals. I also have a 2” sand bed suitable for wrasse along with a tight fitting lid.

Below I will list my current fish and subsequently the fish I am hoping to stock. I am open to suggestions.

current stocking list:
2 ocellaris clownfish
2 firefish

1 McCosker’s wrasse
1 Exquisite wrasse

Current CUC:
1 fighting conch
4 astrea snails
1 skunk cleaner shrimp

I am aware that there is a risk to the CUC with the Melanarus wrasse. I have also read several people that have not had a huge issue.

I am being told by my LFS to stock the tomini tang before the wrasse. I have read some information that leads me to believe I may want to stock the tomini last but I am uncertain.

I also have very limited experience keeping wrasse. If 3 wrasse in a 75 gallon is too many, or this is not the correct mix, I am open to suggestions. I have put the wrasse in the order I think I would stock them based on the research I have done, but I am not confident in this order.

Once again thank you in advance for any advice! I have already learned a ton from reef and look forward to continuing to learn!
I would agree with you, Tang last.
Likely work both ways those two guys.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on 10 small-medium size fish total In an 80g display with maybe 20-25 g of actual water in sump and have 9 fish so far so your 9 fish in a 75g seems doo-able as long as your filtration/ water changes can keep up with nutrient export ,ive never had any of those wrasse you mention and without googling average size in captivity idk,apart from I know melaranus wrasse gets a decent size.i know if going add 3 similar fish then best to add at same time so all 3 are the new fish and hear this aids with the aggression as none of the 3 new comers has time to establish a territory.

Maybe @i cant think can give you some advice as he has many wrasse in his tank/s

Fatrip

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be warry about adding the Melanarus wrasse. I've had issues in the past with them devastating the hermit population then trying for the snails.

Tomini tang is a great choice, but would add last or at the same time as the wrasses.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
leopard wrasse are a great alternative to melanurus, they hunt worms and pods all day but mine hasnt ever touched my snails or hermits (too my knowledge)

OP
OP
R

ReeferCO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on 10 small-medium size fish total In an 80g display with maybe 20-25 g of actual water in sump and have 9 fish so far so your 9 fish in a 75g seems doo-able as long as your filtration/ water changes can keep up with nutrient export ,ive never had any of those wrasse you mention and without googling average size in captivity idk,apart from I know melaranus wrasse gets a decent size.i know if going add 3 similar fish then best to add at same time so all 3 are the new fish and hear this aids with the aggression as none of the 3 new comers has time to establish a territory.

Maybe @i cant think can give you some advice as he has many wrasse in his tank/s
This is a good reference point thank you. Some of these fish get to be what I would consider medium/large in relation to the size of the total tank when full grown.
I would be warry about adding the Melanarus wrasse. I've had issues in the past with them devastating the hermit population then trying for the snails.

Tomini tang is a great choice, but would add last or at the same time as the wrasses.
Thanks for the personal experience regarding the Melanarus. I may end up stealing clear of that fish. I also appreciate the input on the Tomini tang and when to stock!
leopard wrasse are a great alternative to melanurus, they hunt worms and pods all day but mine hasnt ever touched my snails or hermits (too my knowledge)
I have been eyeing the leopard wrasse. They are an absolutely stunning fish. It sounds like they do fine as long as you can get them through shipping with no mouth damage and acclimated to taking frozen foods. I will give this Ine another look. Thank you for your input and time!

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
leopard wrasses must be eating and free of internal parasites, then they are usually good to go if you decide to go that route, my favorite is the choati and then the blue star

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R,

current stocking list:
2 ocellaris clownfish
2 firefish

1 McCosker’s wrasse
1 Exquisite wrasse

Current CUC:
1 fighting conch
4 astrea snails
1 skunk cleaner shrimp

I’m glad Ying Yan mentioned me with this, as they stated I have many wrasse in my tanks (3 in a 20g and 5 in a 4’x2’x2’ tank). The ones you want wont have any problems. If you want a leopard the chaoti is the worst beginner wrasse, I would go for a Bipartitus or Melagris. I have kept femininus thriving in a fish shop I used to work in and still refuse to try the choati which just shows how bad their survival rate is. The tang would be best added in after the wrasses, it’s not impossible to add wrasses in after a tang though. I have added all of my wrasses in my main tank AFTER my tang was established. Here’s the wrasses I have:
493BF12C-B405-465F-BB61-B758429FD143.jpeg
082B311F-D143-4A28-8343-88508963A5FD.jpeg
FA2AD08F-F5E9-423C-B7AF-23F974FC5E89.jpeg
95DA60FE-132E-49E5-BC8C-F8C4209AB297.jpeg
547F3870-D464-4CBC-A0B7-572383E32010.jpeg
D8FBCF7E-A2E8-4F84-85F0-82B557AC392F.jpeg

i have some “aggressive” fish in with my Main Tank. My wrasses all get along in harmony however, my wrasse collection is most likely not going to work in other tanks (I don’t know what it is about my tank but I have some wrasses that are meant to be the most aggressive in their genera). I also have the Indo variant of C. lubbocki but I don’t have photos of it.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% agree with above was just writing that i love choati and will hopefully pick one up the next time my LFs that qt will have one eating in 2022

OP
OP
R

ReeferCO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
leopard wrasses must be eating and free of internal parasites, then they are usually good to go if you decide to go that route, my favorite is the choati and then the blue star
Thanks once again for this. I am in “research” mode and I am still on the fence on this one.
I’m glad Ying Yan mentioned me with this, as they stated I have many wrasse in my tanks (3 in a 20g and 5 in a 4’x2’x2’ tank). The ones you want wont have any problems. If you want a leopard the chaoti is the worst beginner wrasse, I would go for a Bipartitus or Melagris. I have kept femininus thriving in a fish shop I used to work in and still refuse to try the choati which just shows how bad their survival rate is. The tang would be best added in after the wrasses, it’s not impossible to add wrasses in after a tang though. I have added all of my wrasses in my main tank AFTER my tang was established. Here’s the wrasses I have:
493BF12C-B405-465F-BB61-B758429FD143.jpeg
082B311F-D143-4A28-8343-88508963A5FD.jpeg
FA2AD08F-F5E9-423C-B7AF-23F974FC5E89.jpeg
95DA60FE-132E-49E5-BC8C-F8C4209AB297.jpeg
547F3870-D464-4CBC-A0B7-572383E32010.jpeg
D8FBCF7E-A2E8-4F84-85F0-82B557AC392F.jpeg

i have some “aggressive” fish in with my Main Tank. My wrasses all get along in harmony however, my wrasse collection is most likely not going to work in other tanks (I don’t know what it is about my tank but I have some wrasses that are meant to be the most aggressive in their genera). I also have the Indo variant of C. lubbocki but I don’t have photos of it.
Wow!! That is an amazing collection of wrasses. I may go ahead and stick with some that are a bit easier to keep for my first go of it with wrasses. I also appreciate what works in one tank does not work in all tanks. I appreciate the advice on this.
100% agree with above was just writing that i love choati and will hopefully pick one up the next time my LFs that qt will have one eating in 2022
You will have to post pics! Such an amazing fish!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 31.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back