75 gallon stocking

Cocoman280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have finished cycling my aquarium but I waited a 3 extra weeks to ensure everything was stable with my cleaning crew and things like that so I’m wondering what should I go with for stocking I’m open to all suggestions and possibilities as long as they will not outgrow my tank

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of fish do you like?

Or do you have any idea where you want to start?

Is it a reef tank?

OP
OP
C

Cocoman280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It
What kind of fish do you like?

Or do you have any idea where you want to start?

Is it a reef tank?
I’m open to a reef tank but I wouldn’t know where to start on corals probably just some soft corals but I like ribbon eels and I have done my research but I don’t know if my experience is good enough to get them to eat and I’ve read they do good in 75s and I’ve also seen 125 minimum so I might stay away since I don’t have any concrete answers

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't keep eels, so I can't help you there. I can give you advice though on fish. You need to research setting up a quarantine tank. Very important.

Also I would start with Hardy easy to keep fish if you don't want to be super frustrated and let down.

Jump on live Aquaria, see what fish you like, each fish has a chart that shows stats such as tank size needed, difficulty level etc.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-quarantine.189815/

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few suggestions include; flame or longnose hawk, melanurus wrasse, yellow coris wrasse, flasher wrasses, there are a number of fairy wrasses that would work, Chrysiptera damsels.

OP
OP
C

Cocoman280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I might just make it a FOWLR tank

Also the flame hawk, yellow coris, and flasher wrasse out of those I really like those species

Do you have any suggestions on where to order fish from? Because the only place that sells saltwater in my area is petco and I looked at their fish and it looked as if almost every tank had ich

@HotRocks I do have a 30 gallon quarantine tank set up but I appreciate the advice

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could consider a dwarf angel, just research the ones you like and their difficulty and aggression, and decide if one is right for you. One of my favorite, overlooked very beautiful fish, is the orange or red tail filefish.

The only place I order online anymore is Among The Reef, you can email them and they are very helpful with advise as well.

Genomecop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could consider a dwarf angel, just research the ones you like and their difficulty and aggression, and decide if one is right for you. One of my favorite, overlooked very beautiful fish, is the orange or red tail filefish.

The only place I order online anymore is Among The Reef, you can email them and they are very helpful with advise as well.

Curious what you like about Among The Reef over other sites.

OP
OP
C

Cocoman280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the cherub and rusty angels they are semi aggressive so I don’t know how they’d interact or if your suggestion was more of a single angelfish and I think the orange filefish is very cool

I’m also curious about what you like about among the reef over other websites

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I might just make it a FOWLR tank

Also the flame hawk, yellow coris, and flasher wrasse out of those I really like those species

Do you have any suggestions on where to order fish from? Because the only place that sells saltwater in my area is petco and I looked at their fish and it looked as if almost every tank had ich

@HotRocks I do have a 30 gallon quarantine tank set up but I appreciate the advice
I've ordered many fish from live aquaria, never had an issue.

OP
OP
C

Cocoman280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so an update I have a rusty angel a peppermint shrimp an arrow crab 5 red legged Cortez crabs a blue legged crab an astreia snail (sorry if I butchered spelling) nassarius snail 2 bumble snails

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ribbon eels are difficult to get eating. But totally awesome.
Local LFS had one for several months last year. They could hand feed it without tongs (Very bad idea with regular morays or snowflakes!) and get it to coil around their hand.
They have been doing this for years and have a gift with eels the way some people are good with horses.
Not very common at all, but very possible.

They don't require their own tank. But they do require being the primary resident with all other additions being secondary and based around the ribbon eels needs.

Best of luck with your tank!
[emoji4]

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what you like about Among The Reef over other sites.

Everything I have gotten from them has been healthy and has survived long term in my tanks, description on size spot on as well. If you have questions or are looking for something in particular they are very helpful and quick to respond. I'm talking a lot of fish for several tanks through the years and my negative experiences with most every supplier you can name, has discouraged me to the point, that this is the only place I will ever order from online again.

Oh I see a blue ribbon eel mentioned, I got a black ribbon eel from Among The Reef almost a year ago; he's changing to blue as we speak. I have him in a 90g with 3 dwarf lions, same footprint as a 75g.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cocoman280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything I have gotten from them has been healthy and has survived long term in my tanks, description on size spot on as well. If you have questions or are looking for something in particular they are very helpful and quick to respond. I'm talking a lot of fish for several tanks through the years and my negative experiences with most every supplier you can name, has discouraged me to the point, that this is the only place I will ever order from online again.

Oh I see a blue ribbon eel mentioned, I got a black ribbon eel from Among The Reef almost a year ago; he's changing to blue as we speak. I have him in a 90g with 3 dwarf lions, same footprint as a 75g.

so since they have the same footprint would it be okay to add to a 75 gallon or is my assumption wrong?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so since they have the same footprint would it be okay to add to a 75 gallon or is my assumption wrong?

If you are asking about the ribbon eel, I believe so; he was originally in a 6 foot tank. I closed that tank down and thought he'd be a good fit with my lions. It's been an awesome line up, he's in his den most of the time and the way he swims I believe he has enough room. He seems happy, to be eating and living for a year says alot for one of these guys. The 90 is a little taller than a 75, so it's basically the same tank; just visually a little taller but the same length and width. I usually don't do pvc for eels but this guy seems happy in his tube. Here he is coming to say hello to Ms Fu.

009.jpg

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are asking about the ribbon eel, I believe so; he was originally in a 6 foot tank. I closed that tank down and thought he'd be a good fit with my lions. It's been an awesome line up, he's in his den most of the time and the way he swims I believe he has enough room. He seems happy, to be eating and living for a year says alot for one of these guys. The 90 is a little taller than a 75, so it's basically the same tank; just visually a little taller but the same length and width. I usually don't do pvc for eels but this guy seems happy in his tube. Here he is coming to say hello to Ms Fu.

009.jpg
Can I ask what, and how, you feed the ribbon eel?

That is beautiful!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask what, and how, you feed the ribbon eel?

That is beautiful!

Glad you asked, it is a delicate operation. First off they have what I will describe as a soft mouth and are rather timid to feed, they do not usually attack and rip and devour food like every other eel I've cared for. I started him in a 40b qt tank alone, I added some live ghost shrimp and mollies for the 1st couple of weeks to get him settled in. I slice up squid, octopus, and silversides into strips about the width of the tip of his mouth, he won't take pieces if they are too large. The strips are about 2.5" long or so. I use tongs to feed him, sometimes he'll come up and take it, sometimes I have to tease him a bit and let it go and have him chase it down. Even after a year he's still flinchy when it comes to feeding. Funny think is he'll come out and grab a fish or ghostie from the lions every now and then; it's so cool when he does that. He is what I would call high maintenance, it takes a bit of patience to feed, and I don't really believe most are up to it. I think the main points are: the food needs to be sliced into thin strips not to large and you have to be patient and delicate when feeding-they are not attackers,

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back