75 gallon. Trying to build it right the first time!

Luis Figueroa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I'm very slow. I have the Eshopps Eclipse Overflow Large installed now but no water. I also ordered a 3/4" return kit from Glassholes.com and installed it. Drilling it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I set the tank in my lawn, put a hose on it and drilled using the template. I just went really slow and it came out well. I have not leak tested yet. I installed it as high as it can possibly go and I'm worried the water level will still be too low. I've read I can adjust it with a gate valve though.

I'm still building my stand but I'm almost done. My wife wanted it to match the other furniture that I built and I'm a slow builder (plus work long hours and have kids).

So far I've bought:
- 75 gallon Aqeuon Tank $160 at LFS
- Eshopps Eclipse Overflow Box Kit Large $107 at Amazon
- Syncra Silent 4.0 Pump $170 at LFS
- 3/4" return kit $32.50 shipped from Glassholes.com

I'm looking at:
- Reef Octopus 150INT skimmer $240
- Bashsea 30x10x14" Bio-Fuge Sump $280 (or building a cheap one to get me started since premade sumps are pricey!)

Once the stand is done I want to get the tank on it, plumb it and get water flowing. I've even considered throwing an Emporer 400 on there just to get it going. I'm currently trying to figure out how to plumb the Ecliplse L Overflow. I've yet to find DETAILED instructions that apply to my specific setup. I'll keep you posted and at the end I'll post my summary and notes that I'm keeping for anyone who may stumble across this in the future trying to do the same thing.

Let me know if you have any suggestions so far. Thanks for inquiring!

20171103_072117.jpg

20171103_072126.jpg

20171103_072150.jpg

20171103_072218.jpg
where did you put your template to cut the holes? inside the tank or the outside? where was your waterline after everything was installed?

OP
OP
M

Magee324

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where did you put your template to cut the holes? inside the tank or the outside? where was your waterline after everything was installed?
The plumbing comes in tomorrow from BRS. I don't know why, but I went with Schedule 80 so I ordered most of it from BRS. The prices were very similar to Lowe's (Home Depot doesn't carry Schedule 80) except the pipe. I just didn't want white pipes and didn't want to paint them. I'm afraid to look at how much extra I paid to have gray plumbing. I'll post a picture of the water line when I fill it but it looks like it'll be a little lower than I'd like. I put the template on the inside of the tank

OP
OP
M

Magee324

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got it all plumbed. After multiple attempts, I think I finally have it leak free... First I had issue with one fitting that I guess I didn't glue properly. Then when I put it all back on it was leaking from one of the bulkheads. I used some silicone and tightened it as much as I could with my hand and it's not leaking as of right now but I'm going to wait 24 hours before I get excited.

I still need to build the doors but the rest of the stand is complete. I will build the doors and add them on when they're done.
20171130_031952.jpg

Now my issue is that it's quite loud. Again, I have the Eshopps Eclipse L and I'm running a Bean Animal. Looking at the overflow in the pictures, the left is the (secondary/durso?), the middle is the emergency and the right is the main. I drilled a small hole in the top of the secondary. It's gurgling a lot and just loud overall. The U pipes I made BARELY fit in there. I used a street 90 and a regular 90 so I'm not sure how to make it smaller?

How do I make this thing quieter? I chose this because everything says it's the quietest and safest method so I'm sure I just need some tweaking. Thanks for any help you can provide.

20171130_005304.jpg

20171130_005313.jpg

20171130_005255.jpg

Edi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update? Im currently building a 75 with same set up

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the main is too high? Most of the ones I have seen, have the intake about 1/8 from the bottom. I'm no expert, but maybe that'll help.

Agreed. You want the primary drain to be at least 1.25-1.75" below the secondary. Even better is not have a 90 fitting on the primary at all instead just have a screen on it to prevent various things like snails/fish from getting sucked down it and lodged in the pipe.

20170618_114913-jpg.535384

20180523_200929_resized.jpg

Art2249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got it all plumbed. After multiple attempts, I think I finally have it leak free... First I had issue with one fitting that I guess I didn't glue properly. Then when I put it all back on it was leaking from one of the bulkheads. I used some silicone and tightened it as much as I could with my hand and it's not leaking as of right now but I'm going to wait 24 hours before I get excited.

I still need to build the doors but the rest of the stand is complete. I will build the doors and add them on when they're done.
20171130_031952.jpg

Now my issue is that it's quite loud. Again, I have the Eshopps Eclipse L and I'm running a Bean Animal. Looking at the overflow in the pictures, the left is the (secondary/durso?), the middle is the emergency and the right is the main. I drilled a small hole in the top of the secondary. It's gurgling a lot and just loud overall. The U pipes I made BARELY fit in there. I used a street 90 and a regular 90 so I'm not sure how to make it smaller?

How do I make this thing quieter? I chose this because everything says it's the quietest and safest method so I'm sure I just need some tweaking. Thanks for any help you can provide.

20171130_005304.jpg

20171130_005313.jpg

20171130_005255.jpg
Update?

OP
OP
M

Magee324

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I paid a guy to come in and finish the plumbing. He capped off 2 of my return lines, and ran one to the sump. It sounded like a toilet flushing and never stopping. This motivated me to research more and I'm now waiting on a gate valve to arrive.

My sump is an Aqueon Proflex. It's a little tall, so plumbing is a little more difficult. I'll have to use 90s which I've read aren't ideal.

I figured out the plumbing for the inside of the overflow box. I was using schedule 80, 90 degree street fittings from BRS, but they're larger than the same schedule 40 from Lowe's. The fittings from Lowe's fit inside the box. Hopefully that tip will help someone else trying to plumb an Eshopps Eclipse L.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.2%
Back