75g in wall build

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 15, 2020
Messages
1,090
Reaction score
1,790
Location
Louisville
What state or country do you live in
Kentucky
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

My DIY in wall 75 gallon corner overflow reef tank. This build was in 2014

specs:
75 gall marine land corner overflow reef tank
40 gal sump / refug
146lbs of live rock
120 lbs of live sand
Lights; 2x Radion XR15pro
Skimmer: reef octopus classic 90

Here is the video of what the tank looked like then...


I started this build on 9-20-14 so I will first give a little background about this build. A high level summary and I can add more detail if needed/requested/wanted
smile.gif


Pic below shows how the location for my new tank looked originally


Everything within the closet removed and ready for the transformation to begin.


New door! to my new fish room...you enter from the adjacent closet


Newly custom built stand


Rough fit of the new stand and tank to make any adjustments.


I painted everything with a mildew resistant paint


Before drywall was installed


Inside the new fish room without drywall


I will work to provide an update. I just wanted to pretend it was 2014 again

-RWreef
 
While looking for overflow ideas I stumbled on your build. I love your tank. How do you like the positioning of the overflow? The tank I am wanting to put an overflow into is a 40 gallon breeder. It is my coral tank. Beautiful fish.
 
While looking for overflow ideas I stumbled on your build. I love your tank. How do you like the positioning of the overflow? The tank I am wanting to put an overflow into is a 40 gallon breeder. It is my coral tank. Beautiful fish.
Thank you, the tank is a marineland standard 75g with corner overflow. I like the corner overflow "ok". The biggest issue is you need something to push water from the right side of the tank towards the overflow on the left side. I use a 4k gyre pump for this. My buddy @jta51reef has a 40B peninsula and uses a ghost overflow on one end. Check out his build thread. I think a corner overflow will work on a 40B if you wanna drill the back wall for a dorso stand pipe setup. Just keep in mind the overflow will take up space. You might consider a ghost overflow in the middle for great surface skimming and return flow.
 
I will check out his system. Thanks for the ideas. Love your tank. And yes, I like the middle idea. But again, it takes up space. I have a center in my 140 gallon.
 
I had to remove my 75g from the wall to another room...preparing for 84"×30"×25" peninsula build. Pics of 75g are after the move...

20201207_181319.jpg 20201207_181337.jpg 20201205_091545.jpg 20201205_183948.jpg
 
Got a good pic of my 75g and my 38g reef hanging out during the remodel
 

Attachments

  • 20201207_203556.jpg
    20201207_203556.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 45

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 55 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new