8 bulb T5 or 3 Viparspectras?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At only $200, you should get the ATI regardless if you plan on using it or not :)
Actually I do agree there.. though condition does matter
but that is the packrat in me.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$200 for bulb changes is mildly annoying but I easily make that back selling frags because of increased growth
Not practical nor desirable for many to become a farmer/saleman.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for one to be a farmer or sell corals, but i always believed that all of us want fast growing, colorfull and healty corals, not ones that just barely survive in our tanks...

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for my 120 gallon tank(4x2x2), would you use an 8 bulb T5 ATI fixture ($200) or 3 Viparspectra 165s (already own).

I want to go towards SPS dominate and feel the T5’s will probably be a better fit, but what do you think.

Unfortunately, the budget does not allow for the expensive name brand lights.

Thanks,
-TCoach
Viparspectras will absolutely grow every piece of SPS you can get your hands on.

If you already have the Viparspectras, and funds are limited, there are about a million better things you could spend money on before making lighting changes

The assumptions on "increased growth" with t5s are absurd. 3 ViparSpectras on a tank this size are more than capable of pushing corals way past photoinhibition

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just barely survive in our tanks...
And that is what you think the best viparspectras can do?

https://atlantareefclub.org/boards/index.php?threads/viparspectra.1182576/

I had a PM conversation with a guy in reef2reef that has had great success with them over the course of a few years growing an SPS tank from frags. The take away from that conversation was treat them almost like you would t5. Just cover the top with them. 4 on a 4 foot tank, 6 on a 6 foot. That particular guy was running them with a light diffuser and I think lenses removed as well.

Alot of that info seems to be in line with the BRS findings. The power/par is there. Spread and blending is the issue, and that seems to be true across nearly any LED light system.

Keep in mind I have zero experience with LED still doing halides and t5, but the above is the result of way more time researching than I'd care to talk about.

Last edited:

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not practical nor desirable for many to become a farmer/saleman.

If a tank is successful someone is going to have to do it at some point, unless they just throw frags away I guess. Better to give to LFS for credit probably.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having owned both long term.... T5 without a doubt. My #1 LFS (Aquatic Warehouse in San Diego) has very nice main SPS display. It's lit by T5's. I had the option to either run two viparspectra "165w" fixtures or a six bulb t5 setup with two bulbs removed over my 60g anemone tank. I went T5 (6" over the surface) and everything is doing amazingly well. I think the periodic bulb replacement cost is well worth it for the quality of lighting you get. Not one anemone has moved since placing them.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, no, that is not what i said....

I simply said that we all want great growth, coloration and health to our corals, regardless do we plan to frag/sell them, or just want to enjoy in our tanks.

But, i simply believe that led arent just there yet, mainly this is on user - wrong settings, spectrum,par..... T5 are proven to grow corals fast, to give them what they need for health, and that to achieve great results virtualy require no effort, knowledge, or anything, just turn them on. Leds are bit complicated than that.

zaga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If budget is tight: Viparspectra. They will absolutely grow SPS. Use the remaining budget for tank health and stability.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for one to be a farmer or sell corals, but i always believed that all of us want fast growing, colorfull and healty corals, not ones that just barely survive in our tanks...

Lol "barely survive". It's like we went 15 years back in time and arguing whether LED can grow coral :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

zaga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And again, if anyone of us don't have the time, effort or those $200.00 a year to change bulbs, shouldn't be reefing, cause that is absolutely nothing comparing to everything else in terms of costs and time to spend in this or any other hobby!

stop gatekeeping. I’ve seen amazing systems, even with sps, with minimal time and money spent.

i think it’s even more fun seeing what people can do with a limited budget

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol "barely survive". It's like we went 15 years back in time and arguing whether LED can grow coral :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Again, another one.... :)

So, again, one more time..... That comment was reply to - "i dont wont to be farmer" statement. That we all want corals to grow, not just survive. And that have nothing with light source.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stop gatekeeping. I’ve seen amazing systems, even with sps, with minimal time and money spent.

i think it’s even more fun seeing what people can do with a limited budget
Much to the opposite of what you are suggesting! T5s will give you quality that most expensive LEDs can't and will be much cheaper! I'm all for less money more knowledge than most you us here! Trust me on that!

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If budget is tight: Viparspectra. They will absolutely grow SPS. Use the remaining budget for tank health and stability.
Get some black boxes and you will see better results than most expensive LEDs!

zaga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much to the opposite of what you are suggesting! T5s will give you quality that most expensive LEDs can't and will be much cheaper! I'm all for less money more knowledge than most you us here! Trust me on that!
I’m a little confused. You just said if you don’t have $200 to change bulbs yearly, you shouldn’t be reefing no? Or did I read that incorrectly?
Get some black boxes and you will see better results than most expensive LEDs!
Viparspectras are pretty much black boxes. If not comparable .

Semisonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excuse the iPhone pic, but this coral was grown almost entirely under viparspectra from a 1” frag.

Attachments

• 57CB3493-215F-4900-B275-86E09D3DE0A7.jpeg
    57CB3493-215F-4900-B275-86E09D3DE0A7.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 55

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s pretty awesome, but how much bigger and more colorful would it be if you used T5?!!? ( sorry couldn’t help myself :)
"SIGH"...

Well you tell me what your 2 year CONTROLLED study show?

I couldn't help myself either.. ;)

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your budget is tight why buy into necessary bulb changes. It gets costly and they should be considered when budgeting what lighting to purchase.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back