80g Shallow Reef Build

elwallacejr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to go with a bare bottom(maybe) so I need to find something to in the bottom to protect the glass, maybe starboard.

BRS just had a video about using ABS (I think) as sheeting siliconed to the bottom. Might want to check that out.

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
surely you can find a piece online somewhere, no?
With the way thing are going I will probably put a thin layer of sand just for aesthetics. Like around 1/2 of Tropic Eden reefflakes as they are big and should handle the current well.
I have had a very hard time getting this stand done because of a neurological disability, but it is almost there. I WILL NOT quit lol.
I have some more lights coming to test along with the Viparspectra ....
chineselight1.jpg
chineselight3.jpg
chineselight4.jpg

I ordered these from China as they are the newest model "Black Box" and have some really cool design changes and I really want the shimmer effect..

Quick Details
Light Source:
LED
Item Type:
Aquarium Lights, aquarium light
LED Light Source:
Cree,Epistar,Brigdelux
Input Voltage(V):
AC85-265V
Lamp Power(W):
Lamp Luminous Flux(lm):
Lamp Luminous Efficiency(lm/w):
Color Temperature(CCT):
Cool White
Working Temperature(℃):
-20 - 50
Working Lifetime(Hour):
IP Rating:
IP55
Certification:
CE, FCC, RoHS
Emitting Color:
Cold White
Base Type:
B15
Place of Origin:
Guangdong, China (Mainland)
Brand Name:
HY(LED Aquarium Lights)
Color:
white
Dimension:
500x154x69mm
Working current:
7A
Plug:
Custom-made suitable for all country
Control type:
WiFi control
Power:
Warranty:
2 Years
Application:
Fish Aquarium Coral Reef

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
holy so many clamps!
Yea that is the front and it was heavily glued o_O so I made sure it would have a tight bond :D.
I'm painting the inside white as we speak and should have it done sometime this weekend. I am getting the lights in on Friday from China so all the parts will be ready. Since these lights are Black Box lights they will be part of the BB study.
pixie150-2.png
pixie150.png

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand is being painted and plumbing finished. I have promised the Black Box study thread that I would test a set of lights...............
I got the controller in ans have been running them to see how well they did and I have been amazed so far
Really solid lights
pixie150.jpg
pixie150b.jpg
pixie150c.jpg
pixie150d.jpg
pixie150e.jpg
pixie150f.jpg

They are 150w so I expect good coverage on this tank. It being only 16in tall I will have to probably dial these way back.

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update with a thought:
The tank is nearing completion but , I have never had such a hard time putting something together as I have had with this stand.;Punch;Muted;Blackeye
Yes, I want it to be nice and functional but, it has to have a feeling of accomplishment behind it and at the moment it feels like a huge burden on my nerves.;Rage
Many times in the past week I have felt like just selling the whole enchilada and doing studies on other things like lights and pumps, but that would be an easy way out and not help those who
may get help from me doing this build thread.
A question for those who made your own stand and did your own design; did you have those moments of doubt and frustration?
I will update tomorrow as rest is required before tangling with mess that is the wires;Muted

Thank you Reef2Reef for the place to convey my struggles and nuances with this build;Happy

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't give up, buddy.

You will get it done.

If worse comes to worse, load it up and get down here for some help. :D
I'm not giving up cause this has come to far. I wish that I lived in a town with a lot of reef keepers but unfortunately the closest club is an hour and a half away along with all the LFS.
Either way the progress made in this tank will hopefully spill over into the quality of the livestock that it holds.

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after many trials and lots of sweat it has been completed(except for painting the outside of the stand). The wiring was really hard to get it in a place to make thinks less confusing.
Once painted I will move it into place and start the rock scaping. I know it does not look as good as many other 80g setups but, it will work and function for me.
tankdone7.jpg

tankdone6.jpg

tankdone4.jpg

tankdone3.jpg

tankdone2.jpg

tankdone1.jpg

tankdone5.jpg

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. I am excited to see how this comes out and what your final stocking list will be.

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. I am excited to see how this comes out and what your final stocking list will be.
I'm really anxious about the different coal and fish. My first fish will be a pair of clowns from Matthew @Thecoralreefaquarium via Sustainable Aquatics http://sustainableaquatics.com/ .
The coral is going to be really fun part because I will get all ideas from people here on this thread, so what people recommend is what I will try and do. So many people here have better taste and design than I do.
I came here to learn and pass it on to others.
Thank you again Reef2Reef for that opportunity

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back