80g Shallow Reef Build

Boxfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered the new version of fritz salt, elevated reef elements levels? I use the rpm type and find it very stable but I only have a few easy corals to test it on,I use no additional supplements. I’m curious how the beefed up version is?

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered the new version of fritz salt, elevated reef elements levels? I use the rpm type and find it very stable but I only have a few easy corals to test it on,I use no additional supplements. I’m curious how the beefed up version is?
I might considered it as I have the regular RPM ready to go so probably going to use it before anything else. Is it the red box?

Boxfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep the red box, came out a few months ago.
What fish are you planning to stock aside from clowns?

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
****Update****
I painted the back of the tank today....
tankprep2.png
tankprep.png
plastidip.png

Got an ApexEL on the way!! I hope that will do me for awhile while I get the tank really dialed in.
I had an idea that it might be cool to do a reef live stream and have people come,chill and talk about reef stuff. I stream on Twitchtv but was thinking that it would be better to try on FaceBook .
Here is the logo since I am in the hills of east Tennessee.....
Hillbillylogo3.png

All the equipment is in just waiting to finish the stand then it is game on.

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!! That is going to be a large tank.
Small compared so my old system still, but figure this is most economical to have some bigger fish, sps and running costs down. Kicking myself for not starting with an 80 and using a 40 right now. So I'll live the 80 dream through yours.

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small compared so my old system still, but figure this is most economical to have some bigger fish, sps and running costs down. Kicking myself for not starting with an 80 and using a 40 right now. So I'll live the 80 dream through yours.
I hope that I can make this build work and not fail miserably :p My nerves are kicking in cause it's almost that special time to add water.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope that I can make this build work and not fail miserably :p My nerves are kicking in cause it's almost that special time to add water.
I know the feeling. Adding water for the first time is nerve wracking. I can’t help but worry the pluming fixings will leak or worse, the tank itself. But hey, that’s unlikely. And leaky fittings can be fixed.

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me and my dad are still working on the stand but I have other issues that need some help on .............................................................LIGHTS!!
I have 2 Viparspectra new in the box and ready to go but I really think I want to go with something I can control via wireless control...............here are some options lmk what you guys think
1. not well know here but a great light-- tank height is only 16in
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/zt-6800a-qmaven-series-led-light-zetlight.html
2. these are a really solid choice also
2x https://premiumaquatics.com/products/zetlight-ufo-ze8300-led-black-fixture.html
3. sbreef lights are getting pretty well know and work well
2x https://sbreeflights.com/sbox-reef-lights/9-sbox-extreme-16-wifi.html
4. one of these would work also
https://sbreeflights.com/sbox-reef-lights/10-sbox-extreme-32-wifi.html
5. 2 or 3 of these will work maybe. they are not remote but they have a cool mounting system
https://premiumaquatics.com/products/micmol-g3-aqua-pro-marine-led.html

I understand that most will say go with AI or Kessil ,maybe even Radion but these are all very common and this build is going to be different, just like me.(i am a bit of a weirdo)
Let me have your thoughts as I really want opinions.

M

member 99594

View Badges
I wish I had of used plasti dip. My light brackets peeled the paint at the back a bit. Can’t see it all that much but I know it’s there. :-(

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had of used plasti dip. My light brackets peeled the paint at the back a bit. Can’t see it all that much but I know it’s there. :-(

I will get some pics up tonight hopefully of the back of the tank. The plasti dip is really neat stuff but I took my time and put on about 16-18 coats lol.
I have decided to stay with the lights that I have until I have to tank going foe awhile.

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ten years has passed since I retired from the hobby, but once you have been exposed to the ever diverse world of a reef tank it stays in the blood like a clinging sense of enlightenment.
Spending many hours going over all the new and exciting things that have been done in the past 10 years is nothing short of amazing.
Okay enough rambling lets start a new build so I can learn from and help teach someone that may want to something similar.

As I said in the title this will be a captive raised only tank meaning no fish or coral that has been taken from their natural ocean home will be used. I was in the industry and have seen first hand how fish and coral are brought into wholesaler row in Los Angeles so frankly I care nothing about promoting those practices, but that is my opinion and I respect all peoples decisions weather they buy wild livestock or not.
I will be buying my clowns and some other fish from one of the best clown breeders in NA (Sustainable Aquatics) located only a little over an hour away. As for coral I will rely on buying captive frags from all over.

The tank we will be working with is the 80 gallon rimless low iron glass tank from Deep Blue at 48in x 24in x 16in. I chose this tank based on many build that have been posted on this great site. The plan is to have the tank come from a corner in the shape of a peninsula as to have some really cool viewing angles with minimum fuss.

The tank will be here next week so I have little time to prep and get things ready for its arrival, and in doing so I have made a list of things that I will need for this journey.

- First thing was to get an RO/DI unit and that will be delivered this week(Melev's Reef 150 GPD Boosted RO/DI System) This will be setup this week end and will post a build log.

- Now for the stand. I have help from my brother in-law and my father both who are really good wood workers,but need some sort of plans to go by. If anyone has any info they can share as to plans they would use or have seen used would be much appreciated.

The following is a list of products that I think would be great in this build but willing to hear other opinions.

-2x30 lbs Tropic Eden bag Miniflakes (aragonite crumbs, 2mm)= highly recommended

-1x30 lbs Tropic Eden Reefflakes Aragonite Sand = Highly Recommended

-2x TRUE TEMP Digital Heating System - 150watt Titantium = not sure(input required)

-1x = Magnus DC pump vsr 9ooo - Bought and ready pg. 3

-1x Bashsea Smart Series Sump - Bought and ready pg. 3

-1x Eshopps S-120 Protein Skimmer - Bought and ready

-2x VIPARSPECTRA Timer 165W Aquarium Light - Delivered

-1x Milwaukee Seawater Digital Refractometer -Delivered

-1x 80g Frag Tank -Delivered

1x
XP Aqua Ultimate ATO Complete 4-Sensor Aquarium Auto-Top-Off System
= Delivered

1x Fritz Pro R.P.M Salt Mix Bucket -Delivered

Other Things

test kits = not sure about them but seems red sea is the way to go

in tank water circulation = icecap Gyre 3000 and
VCA Random flow generator-delivered

Let me know what you think? I am starting the build thread after I get this RO/DI
unit done. Just let me know what you think and if any changes should be made.
following

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was very interesting as I have a lot of the stand done!!!! The electrician came and installed a GFCI outlet for the tank
but first lets look at the black back
tankback1.jpg

Stand framed and ready for sheeting
stand1.jpg

stand2.jpg

and the GFCI only cost me 30$ from the electrician so I gave him a 20 dollar tip as I felt the price was to low.
gfci.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back