90 Gallon Livestock Ideas

Mark Mark Bo Bark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a 90 gallon long aquarium and looking for ideas of fish to add. Currently have just a yellow tang and some hermit crabs and snails. Also one small zoa patch.

Fish I'm interested in:
Flame Angelfish
Clownfish Pair
Coral Beauty Angelfish
Neon Wrasse
Springeri Dottyback

Up for any and all suggestions since it's a bare tank.....

gonzo620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawk fish are great! I own a longnose hawk fish and the family loves him. He’s one of those great personality fish. Also a perching fish so something different.
42B56410-6487-41F4-9454-8A756316DFFA.jpeg

OP
OP
Mark Mark Bo Bark

Mark Mark Bo Bark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well good! My wife and I have wanted one of those for a while but kept getting told by our lfs that they nip and pick at zoas and corals in general.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawks will not bother coral.

Sites that sell them will list them as "with caution," but this is because there is a slight chance of hawks going after shrimp and crab. Longnosed hawks are pretty safe, in my experience.

Every tank, 40 breeder or bigger, should have a flame or longnosed hawk, IMO.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The angels may nip at corals.

Neon wrasses get big, aggressive, and flip over small rocks and corals. Some other wrasse options include: melanurus, yellow coris, redline, as well as most of the fairy and flasher wrasse species.

Springeri dottybacks can get aggressive and limit fish additions in the future.

I highly recommend flame or longnose hawkfish.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the longnose or the flame hawk fish. Awesome fish!
Your Blood red fire shrimp and Cleaner shrimp will spend more time hiding.

Add the 2 angels at the same time, and if it is possible, make the coral beauty a little bit larger. Flames are usually cranky supermodels.

Melanurus needs a sand bed. Other than that they are awesome.
You could do 3 or 4 fairy wrasse. They are easy after quarantine. We have a pintail and Lubbock right now. I want to get a yellow fin (mostly red) to go with them.

A harem of *tiny* royal grammas would be beautiful.
Finding a group of them smaller than an inch is difficult.

OP
OP
Mark Mark Bo Bark

Mark Mark Bo Bark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as of right now here is what I'm thinking:

Current:
Yellow Tang

New:
2 Black and White Clowns
1 Longnose Hawkfish
1 Coral Beauty Angel
1 Flame Angel

Might he done after that.......Wish I could get a school of some sort but know I dont have room

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as of right now here is what I'm thinking:

Current:
Yellow Tang

New:
2 Black and White Clowns
1 Longnose Hawkfish
1 Coral Beauty Angel
1 Flame Angel

Might he done after that.......Wish I could get a school of some sort but know I dont have room

YIKES!!!!!!!!!! Didn't realize you had a Yellow Tang as your first fish. Yellow Tangs can be super aggressive to their tank mates and especially new additions. I added one last to my 90 gallon and ended up having to give it the boot after a month when it decided that the whole tank was his personal space. At the very least I would remove the tang and place it else where while you add the other fish first and then introduce it last. Also I would pick either the coral beauty or the flame. Personally I find Flame Angels to be more aggressive and mine was a worse coral nipper than my current coral beauty is. My Coral Beauty's aggression is limited to the occasional "get out of my way" charge towards my PJ Cardinal when it is in it's way. As mentioned by eatbreakfast though, all Dwarf Angels are a risk for coral nipping and somewhat for aggression. My CB does take the occasional test nip at my hammer and frogspawn, but nothing that really hurts the corals and it's pretty seldom overall. I actually did a species spotlight on my CB recently:

OP
OP
Mark Mark Bo Bark

Mark Mark Bo Bark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so maybe just the coral beauty and not the flame since the flame will nip at zoas. The yellow tang wasnt the first fish, I had a tank breakdown and he was all that survived except for my hermit crabs. Instead of the flame maybe do a trio of reef chromis or something?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure either angel is more or less likely than the other to nip at corals.

I don't see any wrasses on your list. How about a melanurus?

A trio of gramma or chalk bass could work as a small group.

OP
OP
Mark Mark Bo Bark

Mark Mark Bo Bark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I would really like to do one angel if possible. If not I can check on wrasses.

A trio of chalk bass could look crazy for sure! I'll have to look into that

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just interested in those two angles dont know if I want them both but now that the idea is in my head I kinda do Haha
Just make sure you have an exit strategy if they kick off, I put a CB flame and CB coral beauty together in my 90 with 100lb rock and it was a war but you might get lucky

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so maybe just the coral beauty and not the flame since the flame will nip at zoas. The yellow tang wasnt the first fish, I had a tank breakdown and he was all that survived except for my hermit crabs. Instead of the flame maybe do a trio of reef chromis or something?

The point I was trying to make is that the Yellow Tang is established and unless it's environment changes it will view any new addition as competition/threat. Also there is no guarantee that the CB won't nip at the Zoas. It's luck of the draw with all dwarf angels. I just prefer the CB over the Flame since they tend to be less aggressive towards their tank mates although I wouldn't trust any dwarf angel with another dwarf angel. I wouldn't do Chromis either as they tend to pick each other off over time. I'd get a school of Pajama Cardinals personally.

OP
OP
Mark Mark Bo Bark

Mark Mark Bo Bark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love all the information everybody! Thank you!

So right now just gonna do 2 clowns and then decide in the rest later.

Def liking the idea of a trio of chalk bass though that could look really good I'm just worried about them taking each other out

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 59 29.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 42 21.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 23 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 33.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back