90g semi restock. Give me some fishy ideas

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got this 90g FOWLR transported tank (everything has cycled and the fish that came with the tank are doing great) I'm not a novice in SW and have an idea of what I would like but just want opinions :)
The fish that came with the tank are
Hippo tang, bird wrasse, heniochus, foxface, maroon clown and hawkfish.
I have since rehomed the tang and maroon clown. They were too aggressive and personally that tang was way too big for that tank. Would love another tang but I feel bad for keeping any tang in a tank under 130g
I get the bird wrasse is rated for a bigger tank but I honestly love him too much. He's 7yrs old and he's staying.
I was thinking of adding a few smaller guys.
Some type of algae blenny
jawfish? I have crushed coral not sure if he would do okay.
Maybe a trio of anthias
There's this watanabei female angelfish on divers den that looks really cool that might go well (70g recommend size and peaceful temperament)
All my fish are very peaceful

20201115_075804.jpg

Reefingmama

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an auto feeder? What are your nitrate and phosphate levels? That will definitely determine what you can add. If you have a feeder and can feed 4x a day, I would do a group of anthias, a yellow tang, purple tang, a melanarius wrasse, fairy wrasse, flasher wrasse, and a Dwarf angel. each fish group you add watch your nitrates and phosphates closely to make sure your tank can handle their load

OP
OP
SakuraSky

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an auto feeder? What are your nitrate and phosphate levels? That will definitely determine what you can add. If you have a feeder and can feed 4x a day, I would do a group of anthias, a yellow tang, purple tang, a melanarius wrasse, fairy wrasse, flasher wrasse, and a Dwarf angel. each fish group you add watch your nitrates and phosphates closely to make sure your tank can handle their load
I am a stay at home mom so I am home all day, they get fed 3x a day right now and different food each time. I do have an auto feeder when I'm not home, which is rare. Nitrates are 60ppms phos 0.
I feel my tank is too small for any tangs (I know a lot of people put tangs in 90gallons though) and I don't think you're supposed to mix same body style tangs. I also feel wrasses would fight and be territorial. I do have a large bird wrasse already, not sure if reef safe wrasses and non reef safe can get along? My bird wrasse is giant, i always thought wrasses would fight. I feel maybe a dwarf angel would be too aggressive with my other peaceful fish, I do love them however which is why I've considered getting the watanabei angelfish since they don't get huge and they are known to be peaceful
I definitely think I'll do a trio of anthias though

OP
OP
SakuraSky

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will also mention im working on improving my sump to support a heavy bioload (I've just added Xport bio blocks and have added additional chemi pure/purigen. I've been considering adding chaeto to the sump and putting in a light for it. Wasn't sure how much more I could stock my tank! It seems to be kinda struggling with the bioload. That hippo tang was MESSY. hes gone now but still the other fish are pretty big

Attachments

• 20201217_171953.jpg
    20201217_171953.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 23

Reefingmama

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60ppm is fairly high and I would think you should get that under control prior to adding to the bio load. What are you testing PO4 at? It seems unlikely it’s at 0 if nitrates are at 60.

90 gallons is totally fine to get a yellow or purple tang... I’ve seen them happy in smaller systems. Just make sure you have plenty of algae in the tank.

As far as the wrasses, it depends on your bird wrasse. My guess is he could be territorial but a wrasse that is very different than him might and probably would, fly under his radar.

I haven’t found dwarf angels to be particularly aggressive... but, if you put the wrong combo in they could be, as any fish can be. The watanabei angel seems like a better idea though.

Reefingmama

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and I’m a SAHM too! I still have an auto feeder to make sure I don’t miss any feedings because I have a large amount of fish and I don’t want any aggression :)

OP
OP
SakuraSky

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60ppm is fairly high and I would think you should get that under control prior to adding to the bio load. What are you testing PO4 at? It seems unlikely it’s at 0 if nitrates are at 60.

90 gallons is totally fine to get a yellow or purple tang... I’ve seen them happy in smaller systems. Just make sure you have plenty of algae in the tank.

As far as the wrasses, it depends on your bird wrasse. My guess is he could be territorial but a wrasse that is very different than him might and probably would, fly under his radar.

I haven’t found dwarf angels to be particularly aggressive... but, if you put the wrong combo in they could be, as any fish can be. The watanabei angel seems like a better idea though.
I'm hoping the new stuff I've to the filter will help with the nitrates a bit, a lot of detrus was collecting in the sump but I've ordered a drawstring filter sock (sump is not setup for a sock so I'm making it work) with the addition of the Xport blocks and other media. I have a feeling the deep crushed gravel bed doesn't help with the nitrates either but the tank came with that.
I use a hanna phos checker and do have phos pads in the tank.

I do love purple tangs :) and my bird wrasse is pretty peaceful, he doesn't bother anyone. He & the foxface are the first ones to get chased/beat up (from the hippo and clown l, thank heavens i rehomed them)
I really am considering the wantanabei angel, a really pretty fish.

I saw your tank, its gorgeous! My tank with just baserock is pretty ugly lol so I need colorful fish to offset the plainess of it. I dont think my light helps either with prettiness, its a Current satellite freshwater model and it doesn't have many settings. But again... it came with the tank

Thanks for all your fish suggestions though!

Reefingmama

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awe thanks! Ours is definitely a work in progress! I’m hoping to add one more bigger fish and debating between several options. I hope you find what you are looking for! Let me know what you decide! I’d love to see!

Back