thevelvetdragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! We are getting a 92 gallon tank this weekend that we're buying from someone. It's an already established tank, but since we've had the worst luck with parasites we are going to clean it out and let it sit before adding water to it and starting over. That being said, I'm an avid planner and want to know what we're going to stock it with.

Even though our soon to be new tank is 92 gallons, it's 5 feet long, 20" deep, and 22" long. From my understanding, most of the fish we want need that long tank space.

Here is a list of my ideas:
  • Foxface rabbitfish
    • possibly an orange spotted rabbitfish as well, but we're not sold on this idea yet
  • Orange back fairy wrase
  • Purple firefish
  • Either 1 lyretial anthias or 3 females and 1 male
  • Midas blenny
  • flame angel
  • blue throat triggerfish
  • Tang
    • I LOVE sailfins but I understand they get way too big for us
    • Other tang ideas was a bristletooth or kole eye tang

So, what do you think? Too much? Just enough? Any issues with any fish I've mentioned? Any better ideas?

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks good to me. Kole is a bristletooth tang btw. Here is a list of other bristletooth besides the Kole:

Ctenochaetus cyanocheilus = Short Tail Bristletooth Tang
Ctenochaetus flavicauda = White Tail Bristletooth Tang
Ctenochaetus hawaiiensis = Chevron tang
Ctenochaetus marginatus = Striped-fin surgeonfish
Ctenochaetus striatus = Striated surgeonfish
Ctenochaetus tominiensis = Tomini surgeonfish
Ctenochaetus truncatus = Indian Gold Ring Bristletooth Tang

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're worried about disease, just let the tank run fishless for about 7 weeks. I wouldn't clean it out or let it sit dry.
  • Foxface rabbitfish
    • possibly an orange spotted rabbitfish as well, but we're not sold on this idea yet
  • Orange back fairy wrase
  • Purple firefish
  • Either 1 lyretial anthias or 3 females and 1 male
  • Midas blenny
  • flame angel
  • blue throat triggerfish
  • Tang
    • I LOVE sailfins but I understand they get way too big for us
    • Other tang ideas was a bristletooth or kole eye tang

So, what do you think? Too much? Just enough? Any issues with any fish I've mentioned? Any better ideas?
Foxfaces: do one of those (lo, one spot, bicolor, majestic). Skip any of the other 'rabbitfish,' since they all get huge.

Wrasse, firefish, blenny, are fine.

You can try for a group of anthias, and lyretails are arguably the most hardy. They may pick each other off.

Angel is great for the tank size and mix of fish. Possible coral risk with the 'meatier' LPS and zoas, etc.

Trigger: that species will be fine.

Tang: Yes, the 2 sailfins get huge. The other 5 in that Zebrasoma genus would be an option. Any in the bristletooth genus (Ctenochaetus) would be an option too.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Foxface- Do one of the species @nereefpat suggested. Not sure if they can be kept forever in a 92 but make sure it’s at least 4ft long.

2. Orange Back Fairy Wrasse- Fine.

3. Purple Firefish- Fine.

4. Lyretails- I’d do 1 male and 2 females. Buy 3 smaller females and 1 should change to male over time.

5. Midas Blenny- Fine.

6. Flame Angel- Fine.

7. Triggerfish- Too big and too active.

8. Choose 1 Tang: Smaller Zebrasoma or one of the Bristletooth Tangs.

IMO I’d get a 2nd Flame Angel to make a pair, in place of the Trigger. OrionN has a pair or harem of dwarf angels in about every tank he’s had.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the trigger or triggers they are awesome fish, I have 5 in my 90g reef.
I have always wanted one but was afraid I couldn't keep up with the feedings.

Looks like we both have a yellow and a blue tang. I have no problem keeping the yellow tang fat and happy. The blue tang requires a bit more food though. How would you compare the food requirement triggers vs the blue tang?

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triggers love food, depending on the trigger type, the same size trigger as my hippo the triggers eat more especially the Clown. I feed my 14 fish around 10 to 12 cubes of different types of Hikari frozen and a chunk of rods every evening. Heres a vid of them getting ready to eat then the ensuing frenzy.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triggers love food, depending on the trigger type, the same size trigger as my hippo the triggers eat more especially the Clown. I feed my 14 fish around 10 to 12 cubes of different types of Hikari frozen and a chunk of rods every evening. Heres a vid of them getting ready to eat then the ensuing frenzy.

Thats awesome. Thanks for sharing. The water on the floor is hilarious.

Unfortunately you have also confirmed I will likely never own a trigger based on the amount of food they consume. I just don't have the filter equipment necessary to maintain that bio load.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back