93 Cube for under a grand. It can be done... I think. UPDATED GRAND TOTAL! :)

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2" it is then. I will start printing on two of the printers tonight.

I don't like all three working on a project in case something comes up.

You may have already addressed this and I missed it but what material are you using for the racks? Standard egg crate? If so, I'd recommend having a recessed "T" on the top of the legs that the egg crate can be set into. It should give a bit more stability. If you go this route, I'd suggest going 2.5" on the legs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have already addressed this and I missed it but what material are you using for the racks? Standard egg crate? If so, I'd recommend having a recessed "T" on the top of the legs that the egg crate can be set into. It should give a bit more stability. If you go this route, I'd suggest going 2.5" on the legs.

Read my mind. Tim designed them that way and height

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sherry and I went to the store last night and got a bunch of cleaning done and the troughs back on their stands and in position. They will be coated with epoxy this weekend.

It's amazing how fast everything gets in a mess when you are working like this. I will be so glad when the construction is done and we can just sweep and mop, dust shelves and clean tanks. LOL!

I swear I am going to pay window washers.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some input:

The coral tanks are 11 tall with a water depth of about 1.5". I will be able to absolutely blast stuff with light.

But, I wonder about how tall to make the legs for the frag racks. The legs will be 3d printed and I want to get started tonight because it will take dozens of them. I was thinking 2" tall to allow good circulation across the bottom but not put them up too high.

Suggestions?
I'm going to suggest putting more than 1.5" of water in the tanks. Your frags will thank you. ;) :p

I just realized that I couldn't have made the grand opening on the 7th but I absolutely plan on being there for the 14th. I am already double booked. Supposed to fish a bass tournament but I have to cancel that because of work.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to suggest putting more than 1.5" of water in the tanks. Your frags will thank you. ;) :p

I just realized that I couldn't have made the grand opening on the 7th but I absolutely plan on being there for the 14th. I am already double booked. Supposed to fish a bass tournament but I have to cancel that because of work.

Whoops! I didn't realize I put 1.5" lol

And Whoops for you double booking! HAHA!

I need to get with you in the next few days to borrow the RODI unit.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoops! I didn't realize I put 1.5" lol

And Whoops for you double booking! HAHA!

I need to get with you in the next few days to borrow the RODI unit.
I desperately need to refill my storage tanks either today or tomorrow but I can run it out to the store on Sunday. I should be good for almost 2 weeks without it.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is one of the plant tank lights during testing at 70%:

A9EE4AF0-6E69-4CAA-AA68-99E348D13A9C.jpeg

This is 184 fittings and valves:

054094DB-0902-4BC5-9AA1-69483CD99A46.jpeg

A2E37B90-4C93-4DFC-AF3C-B3C4D0CE9D84.jpeg

Thats about two thirds of the ones that will be installed over the course of the next few days.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i posted this before and after, not to brag, but because Sherry pointed out that I am stressed out about finishing and that we have done this much with about 10% left to go. It took 26 weekends to get here and we have 4 to go so we are going to make it!

sometimes you need to pause and be thankful for what has been accomplished not worried about what there is left to do.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I screwed up and made the openings for all but one of the floating tanks a 1/4" too small. Guess which one I tested to make sure the tanks fit before we painted. :(

As luck would have it though, there was a spacer we nailed in to center the tanks better. This spacer happened to be 1/4" thick. A quick removal of 27 spacers, jig fabrication for flush trimming and using the flush trim bit on a trim router and viola! the tanks now fit and the openings are ready. The tanks don't look off center oddly enough.

All of the priming on the floating walls a is done! All the painting (save for touch up) of the floating walls, pool surround and big blue monster will be done tomorrow! WOOHOO!

All the glass strips got siliconed on the floating tanks today.

I have also printed 36 legs so far for the frag racks. I need 36 more (I think)

I am in desperate need of 4 x 55 gallon tank and 2 x 40 breeders. I am gonna have to pay full retail I guess. UGH!

Tomorrow air pump plumbing gets done and the holding tanks filled up.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Petco is having the tank sale, at least they were last week. The 40b and 55 around here are 1/2 price during the $1 per gallon sale...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back