Bpain05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some updated pics of the tank.
IMG_5237.JPG

I've added several corals and a few fish. I glued some GSP on the overflow. I'm hoping it'll cover most of it.
IMG_5263.JPG

My refugium is getting some algae growth as intended. The Skimmer is working great. I just cleaned it a day before this picture.
IMG_5313.JPG

Here is my Snowflake Clown. I transferred him from my NanoCube. I've had him since he was less than a 1/2". He's about 1.5" - 2" now. He will host my Zoas and the Frogspawn but I can't get him in the Anemones yet.
IMG_4954.JPG

My Yellowhead Goby and Melanurus Wrasse. The Goby sifts a lot of sand. The Wrasse never stops hunting.
IMG_5089.JPG

Already getting some coral growth in the tank. This started as 4 heads about 3-4 weeks ago.
IMG_5265.JPG

A pic of one of the Rose Anemones I have. I bought one that had split into two. Both seem to be doing well in the tank. I know you're suppose to wait at least 6 months before adding these to a new tank but I didn't and they are doing fine.
IMG_5267.JPG

This is one of the Rainbow Anemones I recently bought. Too bad the other decided it wanted to fight my Gyre. It didn't fair well. I went to Hobby Lobby after and purchased a 69 cent sheet of 7 mesh and made a DIY guard for my Gyre. I shouldn't have any more Anemones getting in it now.
IMG_5304.JPG

This is my Yellow Tang. He's a pig. He's always checking out the Nori clip.
IMG_5087.JPG

I don't have any pictures. But I've also added a clean up crew along with Coral Banded Shrimp, 4 Peppermint Shrimp and a Pincushion Urchin. All are doing well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bpain05

Bpain05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still haven't found a better solution for mounting my light. Thinking about building a canopy and mounting it there. Just haven't found the time or desire to do so.

OP
OP
Bpain05

Bpain05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of my Rainbow Anemones decided they wanted to see what the inside of my Gyre was like.:( One of them survived their experience. I made a DIY guard from Hobby Lobby for the Gyre like the one shown here. Was hoping that would keep them out. The one that survived wanted to go another round. It's still alive as of now. I'm hoping it'll survive and has learned to stay off the Gyre. Just finished the Cyano stage in my tank. Didn't lose any corals during that phase. Guessing I'll be entering the ugly hair algae stage very soon. As of now my rock in my display and sump are completely clear of any algae.

OP
OP
Bpain05

Bpain05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be the outlet. It would be really hard for them to get in there.... unless you run in reverse. The best thing to do would be to figure out why your anemones keep coming off the rocks and getting in your power heads. Mine has never detached and floated. Walked a time or two, but it stays put for the most part.

OP
OP
Bpain05

Bpain05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be the outlet. It would be really hard for them to get in there.... unless you run in reverse. The best thing to do would be to figure out why your anemones keep coming off the rocks and getting in your power heads. Mine has never detached and floated. Walked a time or two, but it stays put for the most part.

The other 2 I have stay where they are. The rainbow likes to wonder the tank it seems. It's always moving. Looks like it's going to survive another attack on the Gyre. Hope it doesn't try for a third time. I moved the Gyre closer to the top of the tank. Hopefully that will help keep them apart.

OP
OP
Bpain05

Bpain05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Yellowhead Goby died suddenly last week. No signs of anything. Was sifting sand and moving all over the tank and then the next day it was dead. Kind of weird. None of the other fish are showing any signs of disease. I'll be replacing the Goby soon. Probably going to get an Orange Spot.

OP
OP
Bpain05

Bpain05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a few pictures of my corals. Some of the Zoas are still closed.

IMG_5421.JPG

IMG_5432.JPG
IMG_5431.JPG
IMG_5425.JPG

IMG_5426.JPG
IMG_5434.JPG

Tyree Toadstool
IMG_5418.JPG

I recently picked up this mushroom. It's a nice metallic orange. Really stands out in the tank.
IMG_5420.JPG

OP
OP
Bpain05

Bpain05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a little bit since my last update. Well I'm 0 and 2 on Gobies. I lost the Yellowhead so I added an Orange Spot. The Orange Spot was doing great. Had every inch of my sand mounded or sifted then he just stopped sifting the sand. It would still eat frozen but didn't maintain it's size. I'm going to let my tank mature more before trying to add another Goby. I rehomed my Yellow Tang and got a Purple Tang. The Purple Tang sure does love the Nori strips. Actually all the fish in my tank do. They eat a half sheet in a little over a day. My corals seems to be thriving in my system. I've included some pictures of the tank. The pictures were all taken with my iPhone 8+ using the Aquarium Cam app. I had some Captain America Palys have come back from the dead. I had them in my Nano tank. They turned white and started melting in my Nano. They were almost melted to nothing. When I started this tank I took all the live rock from my Nano and placed it in the sump. A couple weeks ago I noticed that they were making a comeback. I was pretty excited. I recently placed them in the display. I'm hoping they'll take off.

IMG_5595.JPG IMG_5596.JPG IMG_5599.JPG IMG_5601.JPG IMG_5600.JPG IMG_5609.JPG IMG_5603.JPG IMG_5607.JPG IMG_5608.JPG IMG_5610.JPG IMG_5715.JPG IMG_5717.JPG IMG_5716.JPG IMG_5718.JPG IMG_5721.JPG IMG_5722.JPG

IMG_5591.JPG

IMG_5593.JPG

IMG_5586.JPG

IMG_5600.JPG

OP
OP
Bpain05

Bpain05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank came to life 7 months ago today. For the last month or 2 months I've been getting high Nitrate readings from my API test kit. I'm doing 20% water changes every two weeks. I'm also running Phosguard and Purigen in my reactors and my Skimmer is working great. The high nitrate readings had me worried so I recently added DeNitrate. The readings were lower but still concerned me. After doing lots of reading I decided I should test with another kit as it seems API is notorious for giving high Nitrate readings. I got a Red Sea test kit. It's reading 0-0.25 ppm Nitrates which I believe to be more accurate as I have no nuisance algae and my corals/fish are loving the system.

I just ordered a Smart ATO that I will be installing this weekend. My daily top off is about a 1/2 gallon a day. Nothing I couldn't continue to do manually. I just didn't want anyone to have to maintain my tank if I'm away from it for a few days.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The areas not covered by that foam cover is the areas the Anemones want to go. The DIY cover at least makes it harder for them to get in that area.
I have the same tank and was thinking of getting a gyre for better flow. How do u like the gyre in 93 cube, notice any dead spots?

OP
OP
Bpain05

Bpain05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like my clown has moved on from hosting the Zoas. He's becoming very protective of the Euphyllia. I'm hoping he'll eventually move onto one of the three Anemones I have.

IMG_5841.JPG

OP
OP
Bpain05

Bpain05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
November 4th my tank turned a year old. Time sure does fly. It feels like I just set this tank up. Below are a few updated pictures. I recently added a paired Orange Spotted Goby and Tiger Pistol Shrimp. They've been entertaining to watch. The Pistol Shrimp is constantly remodeling their home. Still have my Clown, a Sixline Wrasse, Melanarus Wrasse & Purple Tang in the tank along with some clean up crew.

IMG_6605.JPG
IMG_6606.JPG
IMG_6607.JPG

OP
OP
Bpain05

Bpain05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to make more of an effort to keep this updated. My tank is still trucking along just fine. My Anemones have really grown. The long tentacle has killed most of my zoanthids which sucks, but it sure is beautiful when it's fully expanded. I believe it's about the size of a dinner plate when that happens. I still have a Snowflake Clown, Sixline Wrasse, Melanurus Wrasse, Orange Spot Goby & Purple Tang still swimming in the tank. I need to get updated pics of them all. The Melanurus and Tang and pretty shy when my phone is out. As long as I don't pick up my phone they will allow me to sit and watch them in the tank.

IMG_7771.JPG

IMG_7849.JPG

IMG_7675.JPG

My Clown loves the Tyree Toadstool. I have 3 Anemones and he chooses to host the Toadstool. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I find it funny that it wraps around him like a blanket at night.
IMG_7701.JPG

IMG_7628.JPG

I added a paired Orange Spot Goby and Tiger Pistol shrimp. They are very entertaining to watch. I've had them about 6 months now. The Pistol Shrimp has doubled in size since I got it. This guy is a bulldozer. He's constantly working.
IMG_7672.JPG

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 52 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.1%
Back