atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an oxidator in my tank since day 1. There is a lot of experiences using this type of rather safe dosing of H2O2. I basic mode - the H2O2 concentration I use and the number of catalyst is adjusted for removing yellow substance - but it is easy to adjust the daily dose if there is other tasks to be done.

If you dose directly into the aquarium - a redox meter can be useful in order to determine the amount of free radicals released and also see how much organic that will be oxidized.

IMO - The release of radicals is a reduction process - (H2O2 lose one O either into O radicals or/and OH radicals) - and it lower the ORP. The next steps when O or/and OH radicals oxidize organic matter will rise the ORP. If there is a balance between release of radicals and their oxidizing behavior - you will have a steady ORP. This is totally IMO and I do not know if it is true or not,

When using peroxide in more commercial applications - it have been discussed if it will be = radicals or OH radical formed. If it is OH radicals formed - it should probably be possible to see this in your pH measures.

I have had my oxydator placed in my sump there my return pump is placed. My redox and pH probes is situated in a apartment before the return chamber. Recently I move my oxydator into the same compartment that host my probes. I got some surprising results of my pH readings. During summer - my pH vary between 8.15 - 8.40 and during wintertime between 8 and 8.20. Look at this graph. The red circles show when I refill my oxydator and some free H2O2 come out directly. At the first event - it was placed after the probes ant the water that come to the probes had to pass the DT and the refugium. We only see a slight dpress of the ORP and a not significant rise in pH. At the second and third red circle - the oxydator is placed in the same compartment as my probes (around 40 L with a flow of around 1500 l/h

1611062105013.png

What happens in the blue circle? In one of my modules I had a lot of Aiptasia and decided to try to eradicate them with help of H2O2. I dosed around 30 ml 12% in that chamber - I have around 310 L in my DT. The water from this chamber travell out to the DT - through my refugium and down to the chamber with probes. There is a tendency of rising pH

The interesting thing is for the moment whats happen in my chamber with both an oxidator and my redox and pH probe. The rise of pH a new experiences for me. Only time can say if this is real or if it is something that can be explained with s-t happens,

My CO2 in the room has been nearly the same since beginning of december

1611065017693.png

1611064948535.png

The dose of NaCO3 have been the same (Core 7 a+b)

Since 1/1

1611065350101.png

last three days

1611065506161.png

The only explanation for the last rise of the pH in that apartment I can get for now is that a lot of OH radicals has been formed by the peroxid since I fill up the Oxidator yesterday. This is - for sure - very controversial. To be sure of this - I need to be able to repeat this next time I refill - and probably more times:D

1611065854855.png

@atoll I think that this above will be interesting for you

Sincerely Lasse
Thanks Lasse, you know my thoughts on the use of Oxydators better than most. I also have my Oxydator A using 12% peroxide and 2 catalysts with my 100gallon reef placed next to my return pump in my sump. Like you I have written many times of my experiences and observation administering peroxide via my Oxydator. I rarely test my PH and I don't have a redox meter so can't comment on your results as such. However, I have little in the way of algae growth in the DT and never experience diseases or parasites even with none QTd fish or corals. I know it's hard for many to believe that but its true.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back