A cyborg's Reefer 170

BCI Can Do Better

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the build thread for my Red Sea Reefer. I wanted to share my story and the tank’s progress here, and soon Instagram. I quickly noticed how big of an info dump this first post will be so I’m going to put my introduction stuff inside the spoiler tag. I hope you all enjoy it and I’m looking forward to all the advice you can give. One thing I don’t want to bury is my thanks and appreciation for all the companies that have already offered support for this project through discounts and donations. Thank you!

Hello R2R,

I'm in a very unique situation and first I'd like to introduce myself and say thank you in advance for taking the time to read this.

I’m Nathan and I'm 34 years old. After a car accident in 2004, I was left paralyzed from the chest down. For the last six years, I've been part of a brain computer interface study through the University of Pittsburgh. A major influence on my decision to join the study was my love of Japan and its pop culture, especially robots and cyborgs. Now, I’m a real cyborg and few people have controlled as many robots with their mind as I have. As part of this research I have undergone multiple surgeries and now have 4 micro-electrode arrays implanted in my brain, 2 in the motor cortex and 2 in the sensory cortex, that I can use to control a robotic arm, and receive sensation back from it. I am the first human in the world to ever have electrodes implanted in the sensory cortex.

For the past six years I've been driven 1 hour and 15 minutes each way into Pittsburgh to the research lab for four hours of testing three days a week. Because of all the unique perspectives and experiences I've gained over the years I've been able to accomplish many incredible things from controlling a robotic arm to fist bump president Obama, to achieving my lifelong dream of traveling to Japan. While in Japan I was able to give presentations about my experiences at Osaka University, Keio University, and an international neuroscience conference that was having their annual meeting in Toyama. I also got to visit the huge 8 story aquarium in Osaka that had 2 whale sharks in it. It was amazing. I've also been able to do presentations and interviews for many other conferences, companies, podcasts, and publications. Here is a link to my Youtube playlist that collects videos about my time in the study so far including meeting President Obama, playing Final Fantasy XIV with my implants, and a presentation I did recently titled “From Lab to Real-World: Restoring Movement Control and the Feeling of Artificial Limbs with Brain Implants” that I think went really well .

Here is a podcast I really enjoyed doing.

Here is my Linkedin profile https://www.linkedin.com/in/nathan-copeland-a75606163/

Besides controlling a robotic arm I have also used the BCI to control a multitude of cursor based tasks on a computer. Out of that multitude my 2 favorites by far have, not surprisingly, been the 2 that I got to do for fun, using a drawing program and playing video games. The first games I got to play were Pac Man Championship Edition DX+ and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 by using a program that converted my neural signals into commands for a keyboard emulator. Unfortunately, but completely understandably, for me the vast majority of my time spent in the lab was focused on collecting data for their research and not on playing video games, so I very rarely got to do it. One of the requests I had from the very beginning was to try to play Final Fantasy XIV and after 5 years of asking I was finally able to. This is a game that I enjoyed playing on my PC at home off and on over the years since it's release. I do have enough arm function to play some PC games using keyboard and touchpad, and console games using a custom arcade stick (unfortunately I need a new one of those built). You can see videos of me playing those 3 games in the playlist I linked above.

One of the downsides to this technology being in the research stage is the amount of specialized equipment and cumbersome cables that are required to use it. This is a picture of the equipment setup in the lab: (attachment 1)
AH9FVBIsJmRDesYbE8bKjX0LxP9KWxRdwRsy6vbvBehmwuW3QQQRsL1w67qR7KCoooYYVqdsqhbuiJKkvy7DLTl-drx1eTOGZ-m2B5WwCPRUcU4p17NQj52xABqaCU2Yc9ZMUutM

Around 2 years ago they started testing a less powerful, but portable system using a medical tablet and new cables. While it's not able to control a robotic arm or deliver stimulation to my sensory cortex, it is able to run the basic cursor tasks as well as a keyboard and mouse emulator that works over the network to control another PC. (attachment 2)
d6mYiFMtcalA5-cYPOspkkqYA_guAaa2Ct2_To6-2d8HCcgLPOFIWPUxdw6umTprpbOl3Mdf7qLxbcTILHzaiUBtK_0tLemaP88Ng8awQRiwu9UyYibs7QdiL4QFDFH4_127o6g6

Last March, like most things in the rest of the world, the University of Pittsburgh shut down research due to the pandemic. That meant I couldn't go in for testing anymore. Luckily for me they arranged for me to be able to take the portable system home with me for my personal use. This meant that I was able to spend a lot of time trying to play a few different games and drawing a cat (attached). During my first few months with the tablet I played a lot of Slay the Spire and Raiden V and took video of them as well. Unfortunately I am not able to upload them to Youtube right now due to the fact that the researchers are planning on publishing a paper about me being able to use the tablet at home independently and don't want me to upload videos of that until the paper is published. I think having to wait is kind of silly even though I understand their concerns.

I've been wanting to try many different games, on PC and console, but due to circumstances in my personal life I haven't used the system much in the last couple months. I've recently gotten really excited at the prospect of continuing to play games via BCI and making videos of it that I can upload to Youtube once the research paper is published. But just like a lot of aspects of my life lately I seem to be cursed with endless setbacks. I've been dreaming about a setup with a new 4K/8K TV (absolute dream would be LG 77" ZX Series OLED), amazing top of the line PC to play games and record videos, as well as run software to allow the BCI to control consoles, dual 27” 4K monitors, next gen consoles, and games. Beside me in this dream setup I would absolutely love a large reef tank. So I started to try to reach out to companies to see if they would be willing to help me achieve something like this. While a lot so far don't even reply to me, some are thankfully very generous.

I am currently in the middle of upgrading from a Biocube 16 to a used Red Sea Reefer 170. I've been up every night daydreaming about all the options that could make this tank the best it could be. While researching other peoples tanks I came to the conclusion that I want to run the Triton method. Triton has even agreed to help me do that through donations. I really want everything in this tank to look/grow the best it can. I may be dreaming about controlling a PS5/XSX/Uber PC with my brain and watching it on a giant TV and staring at a gorgeous reef tank, but a system like I’ve been dreaming up is well beyond my budget with my limited fixed income so every little bit helps. One reason I don't already have a larger reef tank is the amount of work I have to ask my caregivers to do to maintain it. I also have a 120g African cichlid tank. If possible I want to put as little burden on one of my caregivers as possible. While looking for other things that could help relieve some of the burden of reef tank maintenance on my attendants I came across GHL and their automatic testing systems. Testing calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium is very important to keeping a reef tank and not having to rely on caregivers to try and test it for me would be awesome. I contacted them and they agreed they would be willing to help me out with the project by sending me one of their dosers. Besides GHL, Triton has agreed to help me with Core 7 and ICP tests, Caribsea donated sand and Life Rock, ORA will be donating 2 clownfish of my choice, WWC is going to donate corals and swag, Reef Cleaners is donating a CUC, Kessil has offered a huge discount (I got an A360X Fuge and Tuna blue lights), Tunze has offered a discount, Avast is sending a Plank auto feeder. AquaUltraviolet sent me a sterilizer, I’m really hoping more will decide to help too.

It’s been cycling for a couple weeks now.

20210220_232638.jpg

This is what is currently running:
Stock 500 GPH return pump, heater, Seneye Reef (discounted), Tunze Comline DOC Skimmer 9004 DC

In my possession but not set up:
Icecap Gyre 1k, 2k, and dual wifi controller, MP10, Kessil A360X fuge and Tuna Blue lights (discounted), AquaUltraviolet Classic 15w sterilizer (donated), 750 GPH return, Osmolator ATO

Planned/in progress:
Aquascape changes. Triton method (donation), setting up the fuge, GHL Doser (donation), Avast Plank feeder (donation), OctoAquatics lid and other things (discounted), ORA clownfish (donation), WWC corals (donation), Reef Cleaners CUC (donation). I need to figure out what I’m going to do for the ATO reservoir.

Wishlist:
GHL Profilux, Ion Director, KH Director. More controller/automation stuff. Random flow generator. DC/quieter returns. More fish/coral.

Here’s the stuff I’m already looking for advice on:
Flow. I was going to use the Gyre 2k that I have at the top and since the tank came with an MP10 I figured I could use it somewhere lower on the back (like green dot in the pic) to try to keep the detritus off the sand bed. Does this seem like a good plan? Should I put the 2k on the left or right? On the left is close to the return nozzle, would that, with/out a RFG nozzle disrupt the desired gyre flow too much?
20210220_165600.jpg

Before I can order my lid from OctoAquatics I need to finalize where I will put the Plank auto feeder. Any suggestions, taking potential flow into consideration?

I want to use the UV at a lower flow rate for parasite control. I’ll need somebody to put together some kind of manifold and use a separate pump for that correct?

I think that is all I have for right now. More posts and pics to come as I get the rest of everything set up.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!

Unholy_Rigatoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your story is amazing and very humbling.

In a timely way, there has been no better era for you to join the hobby thanks to the level of automation out there now. We often think of it in terms of convenience, people with no physical difficulties like myself, but for you it makes so many things possible. I'm very glad you've been able to start your reefing journey!

The plank feeder, if I recall, has its own mixing tube so mounting it in the tank or sump is a possibility. My Neptune AFS I run in the sump to let the return pump feed the main display.

For a UV, I've never run one so will let those with experience chime in.

OP
OP
BCI Can Do Better

BCI Can Do Better

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys.
The plank feeder, if I recall, has its own mixing tube so mounting it in the tank or sump is a possibility.
Yeah, I could get a long mixing tube and feed into the sump. With the limited space in the stand it may be easier to keep feeding into the display though. I'll have to keep thinking on it.

I was able to make some progress this weekend. I got my @Kessil A360X Tuna Blue and A360X Refugium lights set up. I also have the wifi dongle. Unfortunately, like many others, I had trouble setting it up. I can't get it to connect through my router, so I had to use its direct wifi connection for now until I can sink more time into troubleshooting.

I'm hoping to get some chaeto for the fuge this week and to start stocking it soon.

IMG_20210316_005111.jpg
IMG_20210316_004238.jpg
IMG_20210316_004120.jpg
IMG_20210316_005913.jpg

OP
OP
BCI Can Do Better

BCI Can Do Better

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
BCI Can Do Better

BCI Can Do Better

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm super bummed that I have already come to my first major tank issue this early on.

Triton donated a couple ICP and N-Doc tests as well as some Core7. I got the results of the ICP today and there are some metals I'm concerned about. Here are my results . The other day my sister found that the Hydor 425GPH pump that was in my container to mix new saltwater was broke. The cover was off and it was banging the propellers off all the sides. She then also discovered there was some sort of electrical issue because it shocked her. Could this be the source of these metals? She said there was no rust on it that she saw. I'm not currently dosing any trace elements into this tank. I do have some 14 in 1 test strips that say they check aluminum and chromium so I can try to test the water in my Biocube that was also filled from this bin, or if the levels are only high in the new tank. There were a few weeks where I was buying RODI water from my LFS while my system was down, I've heard online they don't have the best quality water but don't have any left to test first hand.

The clownfish I have in the tank seems to be doing fine, but about a dozen of the astrea snails I added died. I thought it could have been the few days I had of hyposalinity, 1.020sg, that was the cause but now I wonder.

OP
OP
BCI Can Do Better

BCI Can Do Better

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun news this week! Friday I received the 2 clownfish that ORA donated. I'm now the very proud owner of an ORA Black Frostbite and ORA Black Storm. They are super cute and swimming all over the place. They are so fast it has been hard to get any decent pictures of them but my sister was able to take this nice video (even though she didn't turn her phone sideways :p )

Then in the mail today was the Plank auto feeder that @AVAST Marine sent me. I won't be able to set it up for a while but I'm looking forward to it.

Avast Plank.jpg

So I owe a big thanks to ORA and Avast!

OP
OP
BCI Can Do Better

BCI Can Do Better

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Life gets busy and suddenly you realize it's been 2 months since your last post.

Bad news first. My ORA Black Frostbite jumped out of the tank through a gap in the lid in the middle of the night. So now I have an ORA Black Storm and a Black Snowflake.

My chaeto has been shrinking and is now loose. I think it's probably a lack of nutrients. I also read topping off into the fuge can cause issues due to salinity swings and that's what I've been doing since my ATO isn't set up yet.

Current parameters:
SG: 1.026
pH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 1
Alk: 8.6
Cal: 360
Mag: 1360
Phos: 0

Recently had some cyano and am currently dealing with some long brown strands.

20210623_003628_Burst01.jpg

Good news! The awesome guys at GHL sent me a Doser 2.1. I can't wait until I can get it set up!

20210617_224027.jpg

Also in the works, I picked up 2 Sicce Syncra 2.0 when they were on sale for Memorial Day. I'll be replacing my main return with one and using the other to run the UV sterilizer that Aqua Ultraviolet donated.

20210612_230445.jpg

Hopefully more updates will be coming soon.

OP
OP
BCI Can Do Better

BCI Can Do Better

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another set of good news and bad news.

Good: I got the sterilizer and return pumps installed, and I finally got my aquascape adjusted to more how I wanted it.

20210715_224638.jpg

20210715_224742.jpg

20210715_235325.jpg
20210715_235402.jpg

Bad:

My Icecap Gyre Dual Pump Wifi controller stopped working so I ordered a replacement that came friday. i hooked it up and had issues getting it to connect to my wifi and finally realized that the Hydros app update has made it so the tablet I've always used to control it can no longer connect to the controller through the cloud, and they changed it so you can no longer make changes while connected to it via bluetooth which is baffling. I was able to use my sister's phone to finish setting it up and I hope the app is changed soon.

I'm also having trouble with low pH, 7.5ish. I have the CO2 scrubber on my skimmer but I think it might not be pulling enough air through it to make a difference. All of my chaeto died so that isn't helping anything. Hopefully if I can get some more chaeto and set up my doser to start adding Triton I can get it to stay stable.

What are some good options for fish I could add? I've been thinking royal gramma, 1 or 2 firefish, not sure what else. Maybe a mandarin later down the road.

OP
OP
BCI Can Do Better

BCI Can Do Better

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One think I really hate is watching one of my caregivers struggling and getting frustrated when trying to catch a fish I need. I came across these traps and they looked much easier than a net. I joined their affiliate program and if anybody buys one using my link, they will send me a free one. So if you think they're cool and could use one please use this link. https://www.tankmatez.com/?rfsn=5816795.a87337

tankmatez-slider-bubble-fish-trap.jpg

OP
OP
BCI Can Do Better

BCI Can Do Better

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally had some progress made with that sweet Doser 2.1 @Vinny@GHLUSA donated to my build. I was also able to buy a Profilux 4 Mega Set and KH Director that I have, mostly, set up. I underestimated how much dosing tube I would need so I had to order more.

I was able to completely set up the Profilux and it's probes as well as the Doser 2.1 that I'll be using to dose Triton Core 7. I installed them into this awesome Adaptive Reef Controller Cabinet with GHL faceplates that @Elder1945 was able to help me get at a discount. I'd highly recommend one, it was super simple to put together.

244059761_376297660645675_7386086957289345122_n.jpg

Here's the DIY Dosing Stand Kit that I got at a discount from @octoaquatics The cabinet did need the bottom power brick holders removed so it could slide straight back, but beyond that the fit is perfect.
243648388_1017849072350150_4733741808786103365_n.jpg

242928309_898368547448765_2778055786267457427_n.jpg

There's still a ton of work that needs done to get my equipment cords in some kind of order, but for now it can all get closed up and look nice on the outside.

243945136_198892025680351_4100477834933171009_n.jpg

I got some corals too, when I can get the glass all cleaned I'll try to get some pics. More updates soon!

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like things are coming along nicely! Nice work!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back