A Hypocrites View on Not Using Quarantine

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aeromonas and Vibrio always exist in water - it is their fatherland. Fish and other organisms have learned to live with them. however - sometimes it goes wrong and they turn into an monoculture and you have a disease. IMO - the right name on them is faculative pathogens.

I think that every one advocating chemical prophylactic treatment should read that report -I link it again

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Aeromonas and Vibrio always exist in water - it is their fatherland. Fish and other organisms have learned to live with them. however - sometimes it goes wrong and they turn into an monoculture and you have a disease. IMO - the right name on them is faculative pathogens.

I think that every one advocating chemical prophylactic treatment should read that report -I link it again

Sincerely Lasse

Stepping back I can see where people might want to use prophylactic copper. But - as the article illustrates - the indiscriminate use of antibiotics kanamycin, metroplex, etc etc etc etc. I think is not going to be allowed going forward. The interesting thing is that bacteria can become 'resistant' to copper as well (copper can act as a disinfectant) - and certain drug resistant genes/plasmids are strongly associated with resistance to copper (including some of the bacteria resistant to all commercially available antibiotics) - so I would imagine copper may become regulated as well. JMO. Thanks for the article @Lasse

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Article on MSN about amoxicillian being used on corals in Florida in the ocean to try to prevent coral disease. Now there is such a huge potential for problems in the future. Also published in Popular Science. Not liking where that might go with coral resistant disease in terms of unintended consequences.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back