A Hypocrites View on Not Using Quarantine

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aeromonas and Vibrio always exist in water - it is their fatherland. Fish and other organisms have learned to live with them. however - sometimes it goes wrong and they turn into an monoculture and you have a disease. IMO - the right name on them is faculative pathogens.

I think that every one advocating chemical prophylactic treatment should read that report -I link it again

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Aeromonas and Vibrio always exist in water - it is their fatherland. Fish and other organisms have learned to live with them. however - sometimes it goes wrong and they turn into an monoculture and you have a disease. IMO - the right name on them is faculative pathogens.

I think that every one advocating chemical prophylactic treatment should read that report -I link it again

Sincerely Lasse

Stepping back I can see where people might want to use prophylactic copper. But - as the article illustrates - the indiscriminate use of antibiotics kanamycin, metroplex, etc etc etc etc. I think is not going to be allowed going forward. The interesting thing is that bacteria can become 'resistant' to copper as well (copper can act as a disinfectant) - and certain drug resistant genes/plasmids are strongly associated with resistance to copper (including some of the bacteria resistant to all commercially available antibiotics) - so I would imagine copper may become regulated as well. JMO. Thanks for the article @Lasse

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Article on MSN about amoxicillian being used on corals in Florida in the ocean to try to prevent coral disease. Now there is such a huge potential for problems in the future. Also published in Popular Science. Not liking where that might go with coral resistant disease in terms of unintended consequences.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back