• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

A Negative Experience w/BRS?!?!

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I surely thought I would never post anything even remotely close to this about our beloved BRS. However, I just had my first negative experience with their customer service who was unwilling to provide a remedy. Did they lose a customer? No. Absolutely not. They have done so much for the community as a whole, and so much for me individually, that such a small scale individual experience will not force me to no longer do business with them. What they have done is hurt their reputation, within my own perspective. Their reputation is invaluable.

I've been a customer since 2014. Last month I made 3 purchases from them trying to get ready for my 300 gallon build. I've spend close to $1,500 with them since Black Friday. Last week I was browsing their sales section and found they had a Klir-7 open box sale for $225, down from $300. I purchased it, along with other supply. Two days later I realized that MarineDepot had the same product on sale for $187. I contacted BRS for a price match. I spoke with JJ in customer service. First he told me that it was illegal for MD to price below the mandatory pricing and that MD could be fined for doing so. He looked into it further and then told me BRS had the same sale going on. JJ informed me that he couldn't price match because I purchased an open box item but what I could do was return the item, pay $10 shipping fee, plus a 10% restocking fee, then purchase the brand new one at the sale price of $187.

I am frustrated because he wants me to jump through hoops and spend money just to ultimately pay more than what the current sale price is. This simply makes no sense. My item is still in transit. I have not even received it yet! Why not just honor the sale price since I literally just made the purchase a few days ago and haven't even received the item?

Nope. BRS was not willing to understand my situation. I am understanding of their position as a business and understand why they have restocking fees plus open box sales. However, they should be more sympathetic to these unique situations where to do nothing is to cause a customer a disservice. Because they are not willing to understand, I have now paid $30 more than their current sale price for an open box product (I paid $225 last week for open box and currently brand new costs $187). From time of purchase to time of sale price was a span of only a few days. BRS is in a much better position to absorb the loss than is the customer. Many stores will allow you to go in and receive the discounted price if you purchase an item a few days before it went on sale. My situation is a classic case of where businesses can shine with superior customer service by their willingness to work with customers. Sadly, this was not the case.

Don't misunderstand my rant. I'm upset as I feel this is a question of moral principle, more so than a mere $30. I'm an attorney so I can easily absorb the $30 loss. I just think that damage they did to their reputation, as far as I'm concerned, far exceeds the $30 loss.

I do have screenshots of my entire conversation with JJ but I feel that it would be petty to post them here. If anyone has doubts if my account is accurate, feel free to message me and I will share those with you. Also, I am open to opinions about being wrong in my handling of this situation.

I love BRS as a company. They are amazing. They simply failed to do what was right in my books. $30 loss to me. Priceless loss to them.

Happy reefing everyone.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jmandel87 I'm really sorry to hear this. If you wouldn't mind sending me a PM with your BRS account email or order number, I'd be happy to take care of this for you. I believe our customer service team has left for the day, but once I have your info, I'll catch up with them first thing in the morning to make this right. This is one of those instances where our motto of 'serve the customer above all else' should have come through.

It sounds like some of the information your received on our return policy wasn't accurate (there is no 10% restocking fee on open box items returned in the same condition they were received). I'll be sure to bring this up to the team to make sure we're getting customers the correct information going forward.

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Adam

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Jmandel87 I'm really sorry to hear this. If you wouldn't mind sending me a PM with your BRS account email or order number, I'd be happy to take care of this for you. I believe our customer service team has left for the day, but once I have your info, I'll catch up with them first thing in the morning to make this right. This is one of those instances where our motto of 'serve the customer above all else' should have come through.

It sounds like some of the information your received on our return policy wasn't accurate (there is no 10% restocking fee on open box items returned in the same condition they were received). I'll be sure to bring this up to the team to make sure we're getting customers the correct information going forward.

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Adam
I really appreciate you Adam. This is the kind of experience I was hoping for. I've worked in retail before and while I understand at times management's hands are tied, others require discretion in favor of the customer. I don't think anyone was at fault here. It was a product of a mistimed circumstance. I took issue with the fact that I was expecting a certain level understanding and working with the unique situation, but I did not receive such understanding. Again, I appreciate your willingness to "serve the customer above all else." That kind of motto is what has molded BRS into the reefing community phenomenon we have all come to love.
Ultimately, I am grateful for the willingness to remedy the situation. You all were not going to lose me as a customer but I admit I felt let down.
Thanks for all that you do. Happy reefing.

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back