OP
OP
R

ryleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone ID the one with the rubber band on it? Don't know where to put it. Or how for that matter, it doesn't have a plug.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great score!

The one with the rubber band should actually go on a different rock separate from those zoas.

Looks like a chalice and needs to be fed too. Not too much light, should also leave plenty of room between it and other corals.

On another note....
The first pic with the pink coral. Look above it in the pic. Not sure if that's a bristle worm or fireworm. Hopefully it's a bristle worm.

OP
OP
R

ryleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great score!

The one with the rubber band should actually go on a different rock separate from those zoas.

Looks like a chalice and needs to be fed too. Not too much light, should also leave plenty of room between it and other corals.

On another note....
The first pic with the pink coral. Look above it in the pic. Not sure if that's a bristle worm or fireworm. Hopefully it's a bristle worm.
Thank you! It was like going to coral Disney land today. I had no idea what I was doing and they guy I bought from kind of just started throwing things in my bucket.

From what others have told me that is a Hollywood chalice and they do have crazy long tentacles. Haven't seen them come out yet but I will move in the morning. And after looking at a lot of pictures I believe it is a bristle worm.

Still no idea what the sps he gave me is. Looks staggy and one is green one blue. Opened up almost immediately. Beautiful stuff. I will never go anywhere else for coral.

OP
OP
R

ryleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great score!

On another note....
Oh and those zoas are growing up from beneath the chalice frag. I have another zoa frag a few inches away that you can't see in the pic, thought you were talking about them. Do you think I should try and remove the zoas underneath the chalice? How would I do that?

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well he hooked you up pretty good!

With the blue led hue it's difficult to tell what's what other than type of coral. I used to have a Hollywood Stunner. Very pretty but deadly to others if its tenticles reach another coral. The don't care for high flow and do love mysis for dinner :)

You need fish poop for the sps corals... did you pick up any fish?

OP
OP
R

ryleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well he hooked you up pretty good!

With the blue led hue it's difficult to tell what's what other than type of coral. I used to have a Hollywood Stunner. Very pretty but deadly to others if its tenticles reach another coral. The don't care for high flow and do love mysis for dinner :)

You need fish poop for the sps corals... did you pick up any fish?
Not yet, going this weekend, and then qt for a few weeks. I'll be ghost feeding until then.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. You might want to feed some marine snow an hour after dark and some mysis or brine to the chalice. Ghost feeding won't be enough for sps or the chalice. Chalice should be fed directly and the acros like plankton such as in marine snow. Just spot feed them with flow off or you can foul your water from over feeding. Most important thing for acros is stability. Actually your tank is too new for them but you can try :)

OP
OP
R

ryleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. You might want to feed some marine snow an hour after dark and some mysis or brine to the chalice. Ghost feeding won't be enough for sps or the chalice. Chalice should be fed directly and the acros like plankton such as in marine snow. Just spot feed them with flow off or you can foul your water from over feeding. Most important thing for acros is stability. Actually your tank is too new for them but you can try :)
They look happy, but I will definitely try that. I'd love to keep them.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive lost them after a week of looking happy in a new tank set up and new frag tank set up... they stn and when they do, it happens fast. They like coral amino or acro power plus live phyto or coral frenzy or marine snow to help them stay healthy. Plus of course stable parameters. Especially with your alk. An alk swing can kill them overnight. There are some great threads by Randy Holmes Farley in the chemistry section of this forum on keeping acros that might be of help to you :)

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes i do and sometimes i don't. Depends on the fish. I have a 10g qt so unless it is a fish that doesn't fare well with a dip in melifix or generally looks bad or prone to flukes etc I don't. But i do always dip. I also feed my fish Dr Gs frozen anti parasitic rx food once a day for a month. Great stuff! But if you qt, then 4-6 weeks.

OP
OP
R

ryleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes i do and sometimes i don't. Depends on the fish. I have a 10g qt so unless it is a fish that doesn't fare well with a dip in melifix or generally looks bad or prone to flukes etc I don't. But i do always dip. I also feed my fish Dr Gs frozen anti parasitic rx food once a day for a month. Great stuff! But if you qt, then 4-6 weeks.
So if I'm getting a pair of clowns from LFS and they look healthy, I could just dip and get them in there quicker? First time I'm hearing about this.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is what "I" do.... I feel that taking them from lfs in a bag to home stresses them, then stress again in qt then stress again moving to dt can be too much sometimes. Especially on susceptible to marine ick/flukes fish. You should always inspect your fish well, dip and slow acclimate them to your tank. But I go a step further, with terrific results, by feeding them the anti parasitic food from Dr Gs. Luckily I have never bought a diseased fish with marine velvet. Marine velvet will wipe out your whole fish population and there's no known cure. That's why many people qt. It's entirely up to you at your own risk.

OP
OP
R

ryleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot the frontal shot.
uploadfromtaptalk1423712512507.jpg

OP
OP
R

ryleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a reef tank :)
Almost there, now just have to wait for qt on clowns. I decided to qt just because I had already bought a hob filter and 20g for that purpose. I will feed them the anti parasite stuff you mentioned. I have a new level of patience because of this hobby.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! Remember to also give them some nori every few says and a variety of other foods as well but don't over feed them. They're omnivores so they like and need both veggies and meat.

OP
OP
R

ryleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! Remember to also give them some nori every few says and a variety of other foods as well but don't over feed them. They're omnivores so they like and need both veggies and meat.
Will do, I'll post some pics after my little one chooses them on Sat!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 63 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 51 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 39 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back