OP
OP
R

ryleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! Remember to also give them some nori every few says and a variety of other foods as well but don't over feed them. They're omnivores so they like and need both veggies and meat.
Just found what I think is aptasia on the live rock I just got. That's underneath and then I have 3-4 really small ones scattered through the zoas. What's my best bet to get rid of them? I read peppermint shrimp, but seeing that the rock isn't attached to anything could I just pull it out and inject them?
uploadfromtaptalk1423779361718.jpg

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you. Take note of where each one is. Pull the rock and inject boiling lemon juice (i use lemon juice and kalk mix) into it and on it. Then let it sit 5 minutes. I then inject with a turkey baster boiling water and suck the critter out, foot and all. Then a quick rinse the rock with boiling ro water. Never try this with zoas or palys only non coral rock.

OP
OP
R

ryleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you. Take note of where each one is. Pull the rock and inject boiling lemon juice (i use lemon juice and kalk mix) into it and on it. Then let it sit 5 minutes. I then inject with a turkey baster boiling water and suck the critter out, foot and all. Then a quick rinse the rock with boiling ro water. Never try this with zoas or palys only non coral rock.
There are zoas all over this rock, the really small aptasia are scattered throughout the zoas, should I just pull it before it spreads?
uploadfromtaptalk1423779957059.jpg

The pic is the top of the rock, can barley see the aptasia but they are in there.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are zoas all over this rock, the really small aptasia are scattered throughout the zoas, should I just pull it before it spreads?
uploadfromtaptalk1423779957059.jpg

The pic is the top of the rock, can barley see the aptasia but they are in there.

Do the zoas have pink in the middle? They look to me like pink&golds if so they can overtake your tank also. I agree... get rid of it. Sorry

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you take the rock out it won't hurt the zoas. But wear protective gloves and face cover. They will slime up and possibly spit. You can try to kill the aptasia in between them with a syringe the way I told you. Rinse well and return it to the tank.

OP
OP
R

ryleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you take the rock out it won't hurt the zoas. But wear protective gloves and face cover. They will slime up and possibly spit. You can try to kill the aptasia in between them with a syringe the way I told you. Rinse well and return it to the tank.
That stinks, it was my new favorite part of the tank. I'll give the syringe a shot and if it comes back I might just toss it so it doesn't spread.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel you... I've work my butt off to save and have lost favorite pieces many times. Hopefully you'll save this one. I have a few aptasia in my tank as well. Keeping them under control is most important. I also have 5 or 6 peppermint shrimp that don't even bother with them. File fish are also hit and miss and the same for butterflies. Good luck

OP
OP
R

ryleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel you... I've work my butt off to save and have lost favorite pieces many times. Hopefully you'll save this one. I have a few aptasia in my tank as well. Keeping them under control is most important. I also have 5 or 6 peppermint shrimp that don't even bother with them. File fish are also hit and miss and the same for butterflies. Good luck
Saw a video of a guy doing it with just boiling water and sucking them up after a few blasts. I have no lemon juice so I gave it a shot. It seemed to work, sucks it up with nothing of the stem left on the rock. Rinsed after. If they come back I'm just gonna toss the rock. Hopefully it won't spread after that. First crisis potentially avoided. [emoji26]

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did too but it doesn't always work as well as with. Depends though. Killing them outside the tank works best IMO. But inside the tank lemonjuice with kalk acts like boiling cement. You just don't want to get it on other corals.

But I am happy to hear it went well for you :) hopefully it did the trick.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, by killing them outside of the tank and then rinsing the rock off you have less chance of them spawning and clinging to the rock like they would inside the tank.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on setting up an algae turf scrubber right now. I'm hoping it works and saves me some GFO money cuz I go through a lot of that stuff lol

OP
OP
R

ryleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on setting up an algae turf scrubber right now. I'm hoping it works and saves me some GFO money cuz I go through a lot of that stuff lol
Who knew a fish tank idea 6 months ago would have turned into a 2nd mortgage?

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, yeah! If my husband knew 1/2 of what I actually spend he would smash the tank.... no kidding lol. And I keep telling myself "almost done" then something else comes along or something went bad. Ugh...

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than more fish and coral i only need an apex. Yep, another $800! And that IS more than one months mortgage payment. Doesn't look like I'll be getting one soon though. Too many other things that money needs to go to right now. Maybe by summer....

OP
OP
R

ryleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it can get crazy. I started with a $500 budget, probably close to 2k now on a 45g tank. I guess it's better than spending money on cars or clothes.

Sitting and staring at this tank and being able to relax after all of the work and research makes it all worth it. It's my 1 hour of mindfulness a day. Calms me right down. Plus my Lil guy likes it more than Disney movies, which is awesome.

I think it's a best money pit out there.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't agree more :) I haven't watched tv in almost a year. I do watch a movie here and there but i turned the cable tv off and only have internet. The tv had me severely stress... this is SO much better. Being so well connected with the world has it's downside. Yes, this is definitely better :D

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 62 32.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 50 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 39 20.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back