ryleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uploadfromtaptalk1424106306991.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1424106355938.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1424106381940.jpg
Just a couple better shots of the coral I got last week. I'm noticing what I think is the toadstool is losing a bit of its green color, I have it mid way up the rock and my white lights are at about 3o% blues at about 50%. Could I be bleaching the toadstool? Should I move lower?

Also not exactly sure what the 2 sps are any ideas?

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, move the toadstool down and to the side of direct lighting.

The sps look like birdsnests. The one with the rounded tips could also be piclopora. Does it look luke this?
uploadfromtaptalk1424112510410.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1424112562384.jpg

If so, it's a piclopora

OP
OP
R

ryleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it definitely looks like the second pic, brownish body with green tentacles, ty!

OP
OP
R

ryleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uploadfromtaptalk1424128180200.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1424128200574.jpg
Mushroom finally opened up all the way, and my zoas are starting to multiply and migrate towards the rock. Seems like they are happy so far.

OP
OP
R

ryleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a few more corals after returning the aiptasia rock. I thought i got rid of it all but I saw 3-4 very small ones coming back. Didnt want to chance it so my frag guy was kind enough to take it back so I could trade for a few other items. I got a cool looking frogspawn with 4 heads, candycane that glows bright green under the blue light, a piece of brain on the sand, electric pavona that I will eventually move up towards the other sps, and I"m still not sure about the last one with the orange heads, going to have to do some more research!

I wanted to take a video to get a snapshot of the tank to see where everything was at the moment. I do have a slight hair alge problem, but reducing the lighting and ghost feedings have helped. A local reefer was kind enough to give me some cheato seeded with pods for my sump as well.
[video=youtube;KnPedTuQtqg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnPedTuQtqg[/video]

OP
OP
R

ryleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uploadfromtaptalk1424895600519.jpg
Thank you for your encouragement! Quick question, Are the little nodes on the ends of my sps a good thing? It looks like growth and the base I seems to be Fanning out a little bit.

OP
OP
R

ryleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uploadfromtaptalk1425182390953.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1425182411465.jpg
Clown pair finally in the DT. It's been a long 3 months, but I finally have fish in my fish tank! They seemed happy and we're eating like pigs in qt. I wanted to wait 3 weeks but I don't have my Lil guy next weekend and it was awesome to see him so excited when I put them in.

OP
OP
R

ryleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Annnddddd I saw a little white looking thing on my orange clowns fin. So I may have ich and bryopsis after 3 months of research an delicate planning, trying to do everything right. This could be the most frustrating hobby on the planet. If I have to let my tank go fallow, I might not make it.

Calmbeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang in there man. Life doesn't always go as planned either. All we can do is make the best of it, and enjoy it as much as we can. Nothing is permanent. Btw, the tank looks great. Enjoying following along.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks fantastic! See if you can find some frozen Dr Gs anti parasitic rx food at a lfs. It's about $22 but worth it. You break a very small piece off, thaw in hand and feed your wish 1 time a day for a few weeks. It is especially great for clowns. You won't need to let the tank go fallow.

OP
OP
R

ryleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks fantastic! See if you can find some frozen Dr Gs anti parasitic rx food at a lfs. It's about $22 but worth it. You break a very small piece off, thaw in hand and feed your wish 1 time a day for a few weeks. It is especially great for clowns. You won't need to let the tank go fallow.

Hang in there man. Life doesn't always go as planned either. All we can do is make the best of it, and enjoy it as much as we can. Nothing is permanent. Btw, the tank looks great. Enjoying following along.
Thanks for the reassurance guys. I had a rough couple of days and my imagination may have got the best of me. Whatever it is on the clowns fin isn't spreading and it's very tiny. On top of that he is eating really well. So hopefully his immune system can win the battle, or its nothing at all and I'm being paranoid because I read so many terrible stories.

It looks like the bryopsis is turning white and disintegrating after 2 small doses of Kents tech m. My mg level was at 960 yesterday, planning on bringing it up to 1300 because I have it ALL over my rocks.

Calmbeast, you have a very relevant username for the advice you gave lol. I love this too much to quit. I just had a moment of frustration after all the work I have done, but it looks like everything will be all right.

Thanks guys.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reassurance guys. I had a rough couple of days and my imagination may have got the best of me. Whatever it is on the clowns fin isn't spreading and it's very tiny. On top of that he is eating really well. So hopefully his immune system can win the battle, or its nothing at all and I'm being paranoid because I read so many terrible stories.

It looks like the bryopsis is turning white and disintegrating after 2 small doses of Kents tech m. My mg level was at 960 yesterday, planning on bringing it up to 1300 because I have it ALL over my rocks.

Calmbeast, you have a very relevant username for the advice you gave lol. I love this too much to quit. I just had a moment of frustration after all the work I have done, but it looks like everything will be all right.

Thanks guys.

Haha, it's fine... I am the queen of panic! LOL !

When bringing up mg only bring it up no more than 100ppm per day... slowly. (Just in case you didn't know)

OP
OP
R

ryleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it says 1 ml per gallon per day would do 18ppm per day but that seems crazy to me. I started with 10 ml a day and it went from 960 to 1020 over 2 days. So I can't imagine if I did 45ml. I will definitely take it slow.

My next step is getting calcium up. My alk has stayed pretty steady at 8-9 between water changes, but my calcium dropped to about 300 before my weekly 5g water change.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt are you using and at what level do you keep it at? 1.026 is where I keep mine. You would be surprised how much ca and mg your corals will drink up. Snails do also.

I would do the math and raise the mg up 100ppm a day and 50 ppm for the ca, slow is good but don't forget the corals are drinking it up at the same time. Then when you get it to the desired levels write it down and test in 3 days to see how much they are consuming so you know what and how much you need to dose to keep it steady and stable.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 43 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back