ficklefins

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 6:

The situation seems the same with one half down and the other still there. I'm starting to get a bit pessimistic about its survival, but I am also sending it good vibes.

I will shoot some new pics tomorrow if there is any change in appearance.

J. Montgomery

Mouth Pipetting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IIRC, zooxanthellae are brown and aren't believed to contribute to zoanthids vibrant colors which come from pigments and fluorescent proteins made by the polyp.

Mochis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wipe the bottom side of the polyp on a towel and then glue it. If I have something that keeps excreting slime like xenia I wrap it with cheese cloth. It opens up the same day and produces a new polyp about the same time as the original stalk grows into a new polyp. So really i'm turning 1 polyp into 3.

5DC

Aquaculture/Retailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if you could super glue the middle of the 2 zoo slices to close the wound. this would also seperate the 2 halves at the same time. Just another idea.

Cool experiment.

/d

OP
OP
ficklefins

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize for the late feedback but unfortunately my experiment did not turn out well, and I ended up loosing the polyp. Both sides melted away over time with no signs of health. I have an idea for the next experiment, but with only one polyp left I am not willing to risk it.

I realize that this was a drastic measure in terms of propagation but I hope that others share their techniques for spreading the wealth. So if you have any other techniques that may yield more polyps please share with the community so that we can make the PPE a more accessible coral.

Thank you,

Luciano

kiran523

Rare Zoa/paly Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have successfully done your technique Luciano. It was by accident when I was cutting a ceramic frag disk with RPE's. It lacerated the polyp exactly how you made your cut. Both of them survived and are doing well. I really wish I had taken some photos. I have also cut the head off of a paly and glued it on a disk. That tech also worked well. GARF uses the latter technique I mentioned. I haven't built up the guts to do the whole mushroom blender method yet ;)

hardcz

A.T.P.N.F.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this was a great read, good documentation too. It's nice to see someone taking a stab at different propagation methods.

gastone

I dig chicks with rics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Luciano,

sorry that it didn't work out for you. If my PPEs every decide to grow babies I'll have your replacements waiting for you.

G.

NanoNathan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what i think would be a good thing to try.. your 1st cutting you said they closed in on its self and regrew as one whole zoa. what if you took 2 totally different zoas, say one blue and another pink. Now when you cut them put one of each zoa next to each other and they would heal together. maybe your could create some new Bi-polar zoas 8)
just my .02 cent

robsreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that sounds like.a good idea I think it might work I might have to give that a try

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back