OP
Reef-roach

Reef-roach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg

Tank was looking nice this weekend, thought I'd share.

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jason! How's your tank coming along?

Its getting there. Almost done cycling and then ready for the first additions. Im hoping by the end of the week, to see the cycle "finished". about to go make some coffee and test the tank.

Ive got a build thread, and a fish list discussion going. check em out and feel free to chime in

OP
OP
Reef-roach

Reef-roach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't updated in a while. I've had multiple equipment failures one after the other and a Ca/Alk/Mg swing in a short period of time. Stressed most of the sps, and lost a couple acros and a crocea I had for a year to two years. The tank is coming back around, new tissue is coming back on burnt tips! Hoping for some smooth sailing for a while now that things are settling down.
image.jpeg
image.png

OP
OP
Reef-roach

Reef-roach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After two years of trying to get an accurate iPhone pic of this squamosa, I finally got a halfway decent photo and had to share it!
image.jpeg

OP
OP
Reef-roach

Reef-roach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realized I have AEFW again, noticed it on a Millie and after ripping the tank apart and dipping all acros. Upon further inspection I noticed a lot of damage to 3 corals, and didn't find any on about 35 of the corals dipped. Im not positive, but I think I had stragglers from treating last year. I pulled some very encrusted rock out completely, and moved all of the rockwork around to grab any acro branches that fell in the rockwork. I found at least 10 branches alive and quite a few skeletons of nubs, making me think I got rid of them last year on the corals in the hospital tank, but had some survive in the tank on the broken nubs down in the rockwork. Felt sick to my stomach throwing away the coral I couldn't get off the rock.

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh dang bro!! sorry to hear this. thats no fun, especially since you already dealt with it.
if ya need anything or some help, just give a holla...

OP
OP
Reef-roach

Reef-roach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey buddy, thanks for the offer. Only help I can think of at the moment is harass me to keep up with the daily water changes in the hospital tank whenever you see me!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry for the problems! Tank is looking great though. :(

OP
OP
Reef-roach

Reef-roach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks rev, the tank looks like a dynamite fishing site after tearing out all the acros. Since I ditched a few rocks I'll have to come up with some new scape ideas when everyone's done being treated.

OP
OP
Reef-roach

Reef-roach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while since I've updated, the tank is back together. I had to butcher the Acros to remove them and treat, so it almost feels like I'm starting my reef from scratch again. I lost a few corals that had been with me for a couple years, I think due to only having space for a 29 gal hospital tank. It was really challenging to keep stable with 40-50 acros of various sizes in that small of a volume. While the majority made it, I lost a purple plasma, another red dragon (lost both during AEFW treatment-they seem to grow like weeds until then), an ATL efflo, a Hawkins, a fox flame, and a couple wild/Maris. I think I've improved my acro quarantine procedure dialed in better; remove the plug/base and treat as if it had AEFW for 6 weeks in a hospital tank. I increased the Bayer dip concentration to 1 cup tank water/20 mL Bayer.
Here's what the new layout looks like. I hacked up the caps to incorporate them better into the new scape. I never had much interest in gorgonians before, but snorkeling in the Carribean last summer seeing big sea fans blasting among a bunch of Stoney coral changed my perspective, so I had to give a couple photosynthetic gorgs a spot in the new layout. Acros were a lovely brown for the first month back in the tank(except the good old slimer) but some greens and reds are coming back. My plans are to move slower and more methodical from here on out. Thanks for checking out the update.
image.jpeg

OP
OP
Reef-roach

Reef-roach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are finally coming back around, but I got an angry cyano outbreak! Hoping to knock that back in the next couple weeks, and just let things get happy again. Just brought a $500 efflo out of quarantine, I'm excited to watch her grow in.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks good!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 75 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back