OP
OP
JMacedo

JMacedo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the eel back to the LFS and the angels as part of my plan but then suddenly my fish went crazy hitting the glass jumping and dying not sure what was, found some black gunk stuck to the coil in the sump and got the coil replaced, things improved since but lost all my tangs and a hawkfish.

Three months on, things are looking much better and I decided to make a proper video and answer to same of the most usual questions about my setup in it .

OP
OP
JMacedo

JMacedo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear you are having difficulties. Your old tank looked great. I hope the merchant is working with you to fix all those issues. I am sure you will get through this and have another beautiful tank as you are obviously gifted when it comes to corals and fish. :)
Thank you so much for the very kind words. Really appreciated. Things are looking rather well now, Thank you!

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, your cycling the tank with your corals in it? Has any of the contents been cycling prior in buckets or such? It looks good, I like the rockwork, should look neat once it is all grown in in a year or so.

OP
OP
JMacedo

JMacedo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, your cycling the tank with your corals in it? Has any of the contents been cycling prior in buckets or such? It looks good, I like the rockwork, should look neat once it is all grown in in a year or so.

Yes, I used some of the old tank water connecting both sumps for a couple of days. It is not the first time... this one was easier as I knew exactly what to expect and how to better control the excess of nutrients from the rocks and subsequent bacterial problems and so. the worst phase is gone... I think! (knocking on wood)

Last edited:
OP
OP
JMacedo

JMacedo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Insanely good looking corals. Beautifully distributed too.

Thank you! This time I decided to have more rock and more room for fish to swim underneath t and also more area for sponges and beneficial bacteria but I confess I liked my previous rockscape better. Anyway I have to start trimming back and moving around some corals and hope to make things a little better.

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great!! I really like the scape and all the swimming room for the fish.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry, it has been such a long time, I have been dealing with some issues and lacked the confidence /motivation to post. Meanwhile I got a new tank and despite I kept posting a few videos on youtube, I just kept on isolating myself and feeling a bit depressed. I need to kick myself, and do something to move on. My apologies to you and to all.

So relieved to hear you are alive and well! Sorry about the issues with the tank and stand but the result is amazing as I would expect. Your tank is an inspiration to me as I plan my next tank. I am thinking of a much smaller tank about 36" x 24" x 24" to start out with. I need to do the CAD work and get it on our CNC machine.

I returned home after our visit and started an up grade to my fabrication facility and it has been a struggle similar to your experience with your tank. My son move home from Bangkok to attend graduate school and is helping me convert my facility to digital measurement and CNC (computer numerical control) machines to provide a better product for my customers. It has been a long learning curve and we are just starting to produce counters and related items in Zodiaq(R) and Corian(R) from our new process. I wanted to give up so many times due to the unsatisfactory results of our change over process. It appears that we are just starting to turn the corner on productivity here at the end of the year. One of our CNC machines is made of the 80/20 extrusions you used for your canopy and it is quite rigid and I would say a very impressive machine. You can buy it as a kit from CNC Routerparts.com here in Washington State. They ship all over the world and I love their kits. Maybe you should get one and make your own tanks and stands...I know you have the skills.

Again I am so relieved to see your posts and see your progress. The coral in your tank is just stunning and the arrangement is so very nice! Looking forward to seeing more of your success.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very very nice!

cj in sac ca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!!!! Looks amazing! I just wish I that kinda set up. Your corals look beautiful and I’m sure the pics do not do them justice. Good luck I’m differently following

Ford Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you custom make your canopy and lights or have it done. I have the same dimension tank, just a little taller and would like the same set up.

Reeftub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still running the same light settings and schedule? If not how are you running them now? Love your tank and corals so beautiful!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@JMacedo any updates on the new tank? I loved reading through your thread and seeing the amazing photos and videos.

OP
OP
JMacedo

JMacedo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies to everyone, it has been 2 years since I posted something here. Long Story short, my tank crashed on 23rd December 2017 while I was on holiday and I lost all fish and 90% of the corals.

January 2018 and I was hospitalized with a heart attack and since then my reef and myself have been through some ups and downs. At one point I thought to quit from the hobby, I was not able to take care of it, that was also the opinion of some friends.

Things are now looking much better, I believe. The tank is the same, new scape, a few of the old corals, mostly new ones.

Here is a link to the latest video. Thank you all.

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back