A Urchin curiosity I noticed

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a long spine urchin and I noticed recently if I move my glass cleaning magnet near the urchin that the spines steer towards the magnet.
Are they drawn to magnetism or is the urchin that aware of a possible danger and actually steers the spines towards a possible enemy?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since this never got answered: that's typical longspine urchin behavior. They direct their spines towards potential threats. I have a video somewhere of me moving my hand towards a large wild longspine urchin, and you can see all the spines on that side moving to point at my hand.

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since this never got answered: that's typical longspine urchin behavior. They direct their spines towards potential threats. I have a video somewhere of me moving my hand towards a large wild longspine urchin, and you can see all the spines on that side moving to point at my hand.
For a critter with no eyes its sense is amazing

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They definitely have some ability to see light and dark, and probably simple shapes. They react if you wave a shadow over them. Likely they don't see much past that, though.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 139 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back