A Urchin curiosity I noticed

  • Thread starter Thread starter PeterEde
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 8, 2021
Messages
2,625
Reaction score
2,194
Location
Adelaide, South Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a long spine urchin and I noticed recently if I move my glass cleaning magnet near the urchin that the spines steer towards the magnet.
Are they drawn to magnetism or is the urchin that aware of a possible danger and actually steers the spines towards a possible enemy?
 
Since this never got answered: that's typical longspine urchin behavior. They direct their spines towards potential threats. I have a video somewhere of me moving my hand towards a large wild longspine urchin, and you can see all the spines on that side moving to point at my hand.
 
Since this never got answered: that's typical longspine urchin behavior. They direct their spines towards potential threats. I have a video somewhere of me moving my hand towards a large wild longspine urchin, and you can see all the spines on that side moving to point at my hand.
For a critter with no eyes its sense is amazing
 
I believe that they have photo receptors in their feet so they can kinda see your hands coming lol
 
They definitely have some ability to see light and dark, and probably simple shapes. They react if you wave a shadow over them. Likely they don't see much past that, though.
 
I believe that they have photo receptors in their feet so they can kinda see your hands coming lol
This absolutely right
amazing critters
there is a great oology podcast about this
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 33.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 20.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new