A very mean basslet

Keith Russell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a basslet that is mean. It’s the yellow one with the purple back. It hates wrasses. It has killed 2. I have tried several times to catch him but he just runs into the reef. What to I do. Do I put a bigger basslet in there. They will fight and that will get rid of the bad one. Then I might be able to keep a wrasse. I live wrasses and want to care for one always. Any ideas

U

User1

View Badges
Do I put a bigger basslet in there. They will fight and that will get rid of the bad one.

No, that isn't what you do. You don't start a fish fight club in your tank. Honestly all around a silly idea and you will only end up with a predator tank that you can't keep any corals in. Long story short you probably should have researched before buying it.

In any case since you are where you are your only option is to:

A. Get a fish trap. Have some patience, and catch him / her and return to the local fish store or another hobbyist who can take it in
B. If fish trap fails remove rock, corals, and enough water to catch it that way. Hope you don't stress out the remaining fish and mini cycle due to aquascape disruption
C. Leave it alone and know it is the last fish you introduce for a while

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with catching dottys, is they go into a hidey hole in a rock.

A fish trap or even a hook and line would work best.

U

User1

View Badges
The problem with catching dottys, is they go into a hidey hole in a rock.

A fish trap or even a hook and line would work best.

Agreed. If they don't go in the trap it becomes a bit more difficult. I'd give it a couple days when trying traps. First part of the trap battle is the fish getting used to it. The next is to place the bait (food) so they enter to eat knowing they can leave. Last one is hanging out with enough distance so you can trip the trap. I've had success with a six line wrasse and also a lavender tang.

If you do go the hook route, and it is possible, make sure to buy barbless or take a pair of needle nose pliers and flatten it on your own. Otherwise you will harm if not potentially kill it.

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One trick I have learned with fish that like holes/caves.... place a small rock over the body of the trap, making it more cave-like. Has worked for me in the past. Similarly, when trying to catch open water swimmers like anthias, I use a magnet to mount the trap on the glass wall, half way up the tank. Good luck!

OP
OP
Keith Russell

Keith Russell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny but he only bothers Wrasses. Clowns, copperband butterfly coral beauty orange band goby, doesn’t bother at all. He tries to mess with the goby but the goby opens his mouth as wide as he can and that scares him away

OP
OP
Keith Russell

Keith Russell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny but he only bothers Wrasses. Clowns, copperband butterfly coral beauty orange band goby, doesn’t bother at all. He tries to mess with the goby but the goby opens his mouth as wide as he can and that scares him away
Oh and I was just kidding about the bigger basslet

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to trap a spawn of satan dottyback using a 2 liter soda bottle trap. Nothing else worked for me because of the hiding places in the aquascape.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back