A whole new world...reefing while colorblind

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome story.. some of us tend to forget the little things that we are gifted and what we would do without them.. so happy for you! You have the best of both worlds now:) gorgeous tank by the way!

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awwww I want to give you a hug!! Im so happy for you :D

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am colorblind....red / green....and found out in the early 60's when I was in second grade. The school nurse gave use the "dot" test as shown in the OP.....and by the way, I see nothing in that picture....and sent a note home to my parents. My parents were devastated and took me to a couple different doctors. I was told that although I could identify red and green on it's own, my eyes see it differently. I have problems when in combination, or at a distance, or when lights are low. (My wife buys all my clothes.) Growing up, the only job I was told I could not hold was an Airforce pilot. Otherwise I'm just fine with my "disability." Accordingly, I'm not sure I'd want these glasses.

As far as my tank, I will tell you that I prefer a very blue tank....my lights are 20K....and I wonder if part of that preference is my colorblindness.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome story and thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
AwildcatsZ

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am colorblind....red / green....and found out in the early 60's when I was in second grade. The school nurse gave use the "dot" test as shown in the OP.....and by the way, I see nothing in that picture....and sent a note home to my parents. My parents were devastated and took me to a couple different doctors. I was told that although I could identify red and green on it's own, my eyes see it differently. I have problems when in combination, or at a distance, or when lights are low. (My wife buys all my clothes.) Growing up, the only job I was told I could not hold was an Airforce pilot. Otherwise I'm just fine with my "disability." Accordingly, I'm not sure I'd want these glasses.

As far as my tank, I will tell you that I prefer a very blue tank....my lights are 20K....and I wonder if part of that preference is my colorblindness.

I too like the look of my tank under blues. I believe it's something to do with the brighter the color the closer we see it to the real thing. I've noticed this with some of the neon colors when wearing my glasses.

Also my favorite question someone asks when they find out I'm color blind..."What color is this?" And when you answer correctly they think you're making it up. It's just my entire life I've been told "This is green." So to me, green is green. Might be different from "normal" green, but it's still green. Haha

whotzler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No 7 for me either :( How do you go about getting these glasses. I would imagine that colorblindness is not a one size fits all. Bricks are red to me along with stop signs. But I did ride my sisters white bicycle around town for days as a little kid tell I was told it was pink lol. Would love to see my reef in a new light.

OP
OP
AwildcatsZ

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No 7 for me either :( How do you go about getting these glasses. I would imagine that colorblindness is not a one size fits all. Bricks are red to me along with stop signs. But I did ride my sisters white bicycle around town for days as a little kid tell I was told it was pink lol. Would love to see my reef in a new light.

Visit the website www.enchroma.com. I believe there is a test in their website to determine your specific type and severity of color blindness. I have a mild red/green. Pretty sure they give you your options then. Give it a try and see what happens!

whotzler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Visit the website www.enchroma.com. I believe there is a test in their website to determine your specific type and severity of color blindness. I have a mild red/green. Pretty sure they give you your options then. Give it a try and see what happens!

Turns out I have a Moderate Deuteranomaly.

Deutans are people with deuteranomaly, a type of red-green color blindness in which the green cones do not detect enough green and are too sensitive to yellows, oranges, and reds.
As a result, greens, yellows, oranges, reds, and browns may appear similar, especially in low light. It can also be difficult to tell the difference between blues and purples, or pinks and grays

That's me, spot on!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @AwildcatsZ . I just took the test and found out I'm a Deutan.

What is a Deutan?
Deutans are people with deuteranomaly, a type of red-green color blindness in which the green cones do not detect enough green and are too sensitive to yellows, oranges, and reds.
As a result, greens, yellows, oranges, reds, and browns may appear similar, especially in low light. It can also be difficult to tell the difference between blues and purples, or pinks and grays

Maybe this is why I'm not interested in the correction....it's not as bad as total color blindness.

And yes AwildcatsZ, I was constantly asked as a kid, "What color is this, what color is this, etc." Drove me nuts!

whotzler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @AwildcatsZ . I just took the test and found out I'm a Deutan.

What is a Deutan?

Maybe this is why I'm not interested in the correction....it's not as bad as total color blindness.

And yes AwildcatsZ, I was constantly asked as a kid, "What color is this, what color is this, etc." Drove me nuts!
LOL Red Fish Blue Fish is color blind, is it okay if I call you White Fish Black Fish... Oh wait.. would you be able to tell if I did?

PupChow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the first time I switched my tank from Power Compact light to T5. ;) All joking aside, thank you for sharing and it was very heart warming. I hope technology advances to a point where you don't even need to put on glasses to be able to see the full color spectrum!

Origami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic story and wonderful outcome!

Coincidentally, I saw a story on the news tonight about a 4th grader (from Iowa) who received a pair of these glasses from his parents, opening a whole world of color to him. It was a heartwarming segment that, if you've not seen it, will be something that you'll easily relate to. You'll find the story here.

Flashy Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So happy for you! I'm not colorblind, but I feel like I am when I'm trying to distinguish the color changes on some of those tests.

A friend's son who is color blind was mesmerized by a sun coral I used to have, always going on about how crazy it looked. I always wondered what he saw, and just how tripped out he'd be if he could see the true colors.

ducklady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I have always felt bad for my husband he is color blind also. We just went to 2 frag expo and my heart just breaks for him because he can't see the true beauty of the reef tank he has built. Thanks for your story it really means the word to me

Bigrock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am color blind and not being able to see the numbers in those dam circles has always bugged me! I looked into the enchroma glasses but decided against becuase of cost. My question for you is if you can see the 7 in the circle when you put on the glasses?

Ps. There are quite a few jobs out there that don't accept colorblind individuals. All military pilots, law enforment, FBI ect. You can be a airline pilot if you can pass a light gun test.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back