A whole new world...reefing while colorblind

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a5d4474a20ece88cba8df9e698824aa9.jpg

This is a great post. A few years ago at a coral show a father and his son where walking around looking at corals. The son was very very very disinterested and it was apparent. The son stayed behind his father with his arms crossed and just did not look like he was having a good time while his father geeked out on buying new corals. We had some of the famed orange glasses sitting out on the table and as the father and son duo walked up to us the son for some reason picled up the glasses and put them on. I instantly saw this young teenagers face light up.

I wondered what was happening because I thought from noticing him earlier with his arms crossed he was not having a good time. His mood was like a light switch, it instantly changed. He grabbed his father and in a very loud voice said "Dad, I can see all the colors now. This is why you like this stuff so much." I was a little taken aback by this because I had zero clue as to what was going on. His father turned to me and explained that his son was color blind and he never understood why he liked his tank so much spending so much time buying stuff for it. The father asked how much for those glasses and honestly from seeing his sons reaction I could not ask for any money from him. That kids attitude changed instantly and he now went from moping around to literally going from tank to tank staring at everything. I had literally just witnessed someone's addiction to reefing begin. His father was sooo very thankful. I declined his offers to pay for the glasses and because of that I now always keep at least one pair with me at shows in case I hear someone mention that they are colorblind.

To date I have handed out about 10 pairs. The most recent was to the KingofDIY at reef stock. It amazes me when I see their face light up like that father and son did a couple of years ago. Now, I did not get into details as to which set of colors his son could not see or what the glasses do for each type of the different colorblindness and I never asked to get more details from other people. I just know they work for everyone I have handed them to. If you are colorblind and are at a reef show and see some of these glasses on a table ask to try them on and see if it helps you. I know it did for someone. As long as I am in this great hobby that will be my best story ever. [emoji2]

What an awesome story!!! I bet that kid will never forget what you did for him that day. Who knows, you may have just sparked the mind of the next Julian Sprung :)

SuperDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife is a eye doctor and she has prescribed color blind contact lenses in the past to someone. Her patient couldn't stop talking about the world he was missing. Definitely and eye opener especially for a reefer. Glad you can appreciate with others see!

OP
OP
AwildcatsZ

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife is a eye doctor and she has prescribed color blind contact lenses in the past to someone. Her patient couldn't stop talking about the world he was missing. Definitely and eye opener especially for a reefer. Glad you can appreciate with others see!
They make contact lenses?!?

OP
OP
AwildcatsZ

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a5d4474a20ece88cba8df9e698824aa9.jpg

This is a great post. A few years ago at a coral show a father and his son where walking around looking at corals. The son was very very very disinterested and it was apparent. The son stayed behind his father with his arms crossed and just did not look like he was having a good time while his father geeked out on buying new corals. We had some of the famed orange glasses sitting out on the table and as the father and son duo walked up to us the son for some reason picled up the glasses and put them on. I instantly saw this young teenagers face light up.

I wondered what was happening because I thought from noticing him earlier with his arms crossed he was not having a good time. His mood was like a light switch, it instantly changed. He grabbed his father and in a very loud voice said "Dad, I can see all the colors now. This is why you like this stuff so much." I was a little taken aback by this because I had zero clue as to what was going on. His father turned to me and explained that his son was color blind and he never understood why he liked his tank so much spending so much time buying stuff for it. The father asked how much for those glasses and honestly from seeing his sons reaction I could not ask for any money from him. That kids attitude changed instantly and he now went from moping around to literally going from tank to tank staring at everything. I had literally just witnessed someone's addiction to reefing begin. His father was sooo very thankful. I declined his offers to pay for the glasses and because of that I now always keep at least one pair with me at shows in case I hear someone mention that they are colorblind.

To date I have handed out about 10 pairs. The most recent was to the KingofDIY at reef stock. It amazes me when I see their face light up like that father and son did a couple of years ago. Now, I did not get into details as to which set of colors his son could not see or what the glasses do for each type of the different colorblindness and I never asked to get more details from other people. I just know they work for everyone I have handed them to. If you are colorblind and are at a reef show and see some of these glasses on a table ask to try them on and see if it helps you. I know it did for someone. As long as I am in this great hobby that will be my best story ever. [emoji2]
Definitely an amazing story and an amazing act of kindness by you!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My EnChroma glasses arrived yesterday, they make a drastic difference in the colors that I see..

Do you like the difference? Is what you perceive with the glasses on closer to what others perceive than without?

OP
OP
AwildcatsZ

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you like the difference? Is what you perceive with the glasses on closer to what others perceive than without?

That is almost impossible to tell...I have always wondered if what I see with my glasses is what others see exactly. Idk if we will ever be able to tell...

But in theory, the glasses should allow colorblind to see as close to normal as possible!

OP
OP
AwildcatsZ

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love the difference, noticing a lot more detail, and some of the subtle colors

Very happy to hear you're excitement! It truly is remarkable! Have you looked at your tank with them?

I wore them in Vegas a few weeks ago and was blown away by this girls pink hair. Without the glasses it looked AWFUL...with the glasses it was AMAZING! She definitely stood out in the crowd haha.

S&SReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wo lots of colorblind reefers out there. My mother recently asked me if I wanted a pair of these glasses, specifically so I could fully enjoy my aquariums and for my aquarium maintenance business. I saw they make an indoor and an outdoor lens; which ones are people using, and what are the differences?

OP
OP
AwildcatsZ

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wo lots of colorblind reefers out there. My mother recently asked me if I wanted a pair of these glasses, specifically so I could fully enjoy my aquariums and for my aquarium maintenance business. I saw they make an indoor and an outdoor lens; which ones are people using, and what are the differences?
Late response to this post, but I have the ones that are outdoor rated. This being said, they work perfectly fine indoors if there is ample light, i.e. looking at your aquarium. It helps to have the lights on in the room you are viewing them in, but overall I am please with how they help with the experience of viewing the reef!

Back