A whole new world...reefing while colorblind

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My entire life I grew up in a muted world. I grew up in a brown brick house, didn't understand why street signs were so dull, and never understood why people were confused with my fascination with neon colors (neon pink being my favorite). Then one day while at the doctor's office it all made sense, I was color blind.

The following years were filled with my family and friends giving me random color blind tests. You know, those circles filled with different color dots and there is a hidden number somewhere. Here's an example if you're not sure:

Color Test 1.jpg

Apparently there is a 7 in there...if you're colorblind you won't see a number. Sorry if this is how you found out that you are also colorblind. The good news, it's not all that bad! At least mine isn't. I managed to land a job as a landscape designer, and get tasked with choosing colors daily! And now, there is a "cure"!

In recent years a company called Enchroma invented these glasses that correct various forms of colorblindness. I looked into getting a pair, but they are pricey...$300ish. Luckily I have some amazing parents who got me a pair for Christmas! All of a sudden I realized what I've been missing...my house was red, beautiful red! How do people miss stop signs and street signs!? My neon green phone case...was NEON GREEN, like woah!

I only used my glasses sparingly. They're not the best sunglasses... Until this weekend I never thought to use them to look at my reef tank, boy what a mistake that was!

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

It was like I was seeing my reef for the first time! Neon greens, reds, oranges, pinks! Tears started to fill my eyes. Up until now I assumed corals were puke/poop green, reddish brown, or various shades of brown. My anemone was RED, not brown like I thought it was. Luckily for me, I always seemed to choose the brightest shades of brown! With my glasses I have fallen in love with my reef and the hobby all over again.

Oh, and...testing is SO MUCH EASIER! They actually do turn from green to red...

The purpose behind this story is to see if anyone out there has had a similar experience, as well as, to let the people who are debating/doubting Enchroma glasses know the are life changing. Not only will you see your reefs for the first time all over again, but you will see the world for the first time!

Thanks for reading my story. I'd love to hear your stories, thoughts, or any experiences you've had while reefing color blind!

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a buddy that I used to be roommates with. We grew up together and always did that color test to him. I have never thought to ask him how he sees the different colors of his reef. I'll be sure to ask and let you know.
Great story!! Agreed, very happy ending!

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good stuff here! Great to hear that for you. I bet it was a whole new experience seeing all of those colors for the first time.

OP
OP
AwildcatsZ

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great story. My dad was color blind. We had an ugly green car but he loved it because it was a beautiful shade of blue to him.

Glad that the glasses helped you see the beauty of your reef.

There are so many things that I prefer to view without my glasses, because with them they are very gaudy...haha

OP
OP
AwildcatsZ

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a buddy that I used to be roommates with. We grew up together and always did that color test to him. I have never thought to ask him how he sees the different colors of his reef. I'll be sure to ask and let you know.
Great story!! Agreed, very happy ending!

I wish that they made glasses so people with normal vision could see what we see...it's amazingly sad...haha.

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish that they made glasses so people with normal vision could see what we see...it's amazingly sad...haha.

I agree!! I wear glasses and contacts, I wish ppl could see through my eyes too lol

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Dad is colored blind and he's a painter.... like an awesome one. He said he can still read and he knows the sky is supposed to be blue. LOL. He said it's really hard to tell the new traffic lights and he goes by position and which one is lite up.

OP
OP
AwildcatsZ

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those glasses look cool. I wonder if Pop would like a pair. Father's day is coming.....

I think he would LOVE a pair. And just like he says that he knows the sky is blue, I know something is green or red because my entire life people told me that it's green or red. So to me, that's green and red. But after seeing it with the glasses...it's not quite the same green or red haha.

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm color blind as well and will never put those corrective lenses on until the tech can be integrated into regular sized glasses. I have no need to know what I've been missing. Why would I want to do that to myself?

OP
OP
AwildcatsZ

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm color blind as well and will never put those corrective lenses on until the tech can be integrated into regular sized glasses. I have no need to know what I've been missing. Why would I want to do that to myself?

I'm not sure which glasses you have been looking at, but the ones I have look like normal sunglasses. Nobody would be able to notice.
edc81e4627d95b1a130648d8469e81ba.jpg

I'm thinking that they will continue to improve the technology and come out with more styles and maybe even contacts...woah.

As far as not needing to know what you're missing...I can understand that. The first few times I used the glasses I found myself feeling a little depressed when I took them off. I wish I could see color without them! For me I'm just excited that I can see things for their true beauty! Things as simple as an energy drink can blow my mind!

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can they be incorporated into prescription lenses yet?

Edit: I see that they can... interesting. I've got a pretty strong prescription (near sighted), may not work for me yet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AwildcatsZ

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can they be incorporated into prescription lenses yet?

Edit: I see that they can... interesting. I've got a pretty strong prescription (near sighted), may not work for me yet.

It looks promising! I'm not familiar with prescription glasses, but it says they can make them!

http://enchroma.com/rx/

CPL376

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My story has nothing to do with reefing. I was at work one day when I was approached by the Sheriff I should mention that I'm a deputy. Anyway. The sheriff stated that he had heard that I was color blind. I acknowledged that I was. He then asked me how I got hired. He was fairly taken aback when I told him that nobody had asked me about it during my prehire physical.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back