A word to the wise....

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
https://news.yahoo.com/man-dies-being-infected-flesh-163950375.html

Though this is rare (in nature and in our tanks) - this infection (vibrio vulnificans) very quick acting and mycobacterium marinium (a slow occurring non-healing sore) can be quite serious -and both likely are in our tanks. If you have any cut, scratch, etc - its best not to put your arms /hands in the water - and any cut on coral shoudl be immediately rinsed scraped with antiseptic and watched carefully for infection - and immediately evaluated if it is worsening rapidly - and especially if there are blisters forming higher up than the injury.

Luckily - most infections we get from cutting ourselves in the tank are common (staph, strep) - which can also be serious - but not like the two above.

EDIT - I meant that the INFECTION is rare - the presence of the bacteria is common

Last edited:

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last year also there was a cnn report about this guy who got horrible skin disease supposedly from zoas. He cut zoas bare hand often and had some bad skin issues...will they to dig up the report and post it.
We have to take precaution, some of these things are no fun..

Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
necrotizing fasciitis (flesh eating bacterial infection) caused by vibrio bacteria can be detected via microscope imaging of a sample.of the infected area I believe... My understanding these bacteria cannot be cultured in the lab....if memory is correct.
Which I think means you cannot detect it in water, until it infect the skin..

Last edited:

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrio vulnificus is a Gram-negative, motile curved bacterium. It has been isolated from seawater, sediments, plankton and shellfish (oysters, clams and crabs) located in the Gulf of Mexico, the Atlantic Coast as far north as Cape Cod, and the entire U.S. West Coast. The bacterium thrives in warm seawater.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s all take a breath and a few steps back. In general when you dig through such news there’s always a contributing factor, such as a compromised immune system. The level of serious infections in saltwater is exceedingly rare considering how many people with cuts, scrapes, you name it get in contact with saltwater daily...

Fortunately, common precautions like washing your hands after getting in contact with the tank water or latex gloves go a long way. For those who have a compromised immune system, additional steps may be warranted - and you may want to discuss with your doctor.

Here’s another thing that can happen:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...gs-hands-amputated-after-dogs-lick/877895002/

Did you know bacteria in your fridge can kill you???! Tune in at 10 to your local news station.

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that mean you cannot detect it until it infect?

That is more about diagnosing the infection after the fact. Remember this is America and our healthcare is still paradigm shifting from one of reactionary to one more preventative! . In order to see it or find out if it is in the reef etc is a more difficult but not impossible task!

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s all take a breath and a few steps back. In general when you dig through such news there’s always a contributing factor, such as a compromised immune system. The level of serious infections in saltwater is exceedingly rare considering how many people with cuts, scrapes, you name it get in contact with saltwater daily...

Fortunately, common precautions like washing your hands after getting in contact with the tank water or latex gloves go a long way. For those who have a compromised immune system, additional steps may be warranted - and you may want to discuss with your doctor.

Here’s another thing that can happen:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...gs-hands-amputated-after-dogs-lick/877895002/

Did you know bacteria in your fridge can kill you???! Tune in at 10 to your local news station.

Well said

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is more about diagnosing the infection after the fact. Remember this is America and our healthcare is still paradigm shifting from one of reactionary to one more preventative! . In order to see it or find out if it is in the reef etc is a more difficult but not impossible task!
Greatly appreciate it doc. Insightful

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many millions of people cone in contact with salt water per year? lol

Exactly!! I do daily. But I also fly planes and drive cars...both deadly in their own way. It’s all about knowledge and taking the proper precautions.

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To respond to OP, I'm more worried about infecting my tank than it infecting me. There are things in the reef environment that can certainly harm humans. Bacteria is one. It's unlikely but infection is possible. Keep your reef safe and keep yourself safe!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back