About to call it quits,

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe clean the hell out of it (all the sand!), dose with hydrogen peroxide, then do a 5-day total blackout.

worked great for me. I had a nasty diatom then dino episode.

now I use a flocculant (Brightwell Aquatics Clarify-SW) 2 days before a very aggressive sand bed cleaning. It gets a lot of crap to settle out of the water and down into the sand. Then get aggressive with the siphon. My tank went from disaster mode to being so crystal clear people ask me how I do it.

Good luck! Don't give up!

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are a couple types of Dino’s. One stays in the sand bed, and the others can float in the water column (especially when lights are out). There is more research on other threads but generally getting parameters like Nitrate and Phosphate at certain levels encourages competing algae/bacteria to outcompete Dino’s for resources. This also paired with trying to knock back the current levels of Dino’s through UV sterilizer (for free floating Dino’s) and sandbed cleaning for the other type. It’s been a while since I checked the latest threads on other effective means of knocking it back to allow competition to get a foothold.

OP
OP
actik

actik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, thanks everyone. I really appreciate this, I felt like I was doing such a good job and just couldn't figure it out

zapbap99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
prob should get your water tested you might have some really annoying metal or mineral in your rodi ..

OP
OP
actik

actik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
prob should get your water tested you might have some really annoying metal or mineral in your rodi ..
The really sad part is i live in the sticks, i used to buy natural spring water 5g jugs but as you could imagin it was getting very pricey just for water, then i started using my RODI system, Low water pressure and a 50 gpd system actually produces 5 maybe 7 gallons per day haha and around 30-40 tds is the best quality water i could get other then buying. But i wonder if your right and maybe this old house has copper pipes or something?

zapbap99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The really sad part is i live in the sticks, i used to buy natural spring water 5g jugs but as you could imagin it was getting very pricey just for water, then i started using my RODI system, Low water pressure and a 50 gpd system actually produces 5 maybe 7 gallons per day haha and around 30-40 tds is the best quality water i could get other then buying. But i wonder if your right and maybe this old house has copper pipes or something?
yea dunno just buy an icp test on brs or somethin get it tested.

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the rodi upgrade. Good water will make all the difference especially if you plan to keep corals. I had low pressure and got a kit from BRS and now I am producing a ton of water out of a 100gal/day system at 0 tds. Depending on whats in your water, you may need to add more stages.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but because my water is about 3000 tds my rodi only knocks it down to about 25 tds
Fix this and things will start moving in the right direction.
Add a second membrane to your RODI, as well as a booster pump. reefsupplies sells both, but where are you? There's a surprising number of reef shops around Qc, just not well publicised.

There may be other things to look at once you get some good clean water, but poor water quality from the start will screw up everything else you need to figure out later on.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A booster pump is not too expensive, it should help with the TDS as well, might not get it down to 0 though, but should reduce it, will produce the water a lot faster.
As said a second membrane can be added if the pump doesn’t do the trick.

Have to say, is 3000 TDS even legal!

ironman187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone is pointing at the water but neglected to ask you if you were using the same water on your small tank too.

OP
OP
actik

actik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning guys, i just want to rewind for a minute because everyone does have great suggestions. I do believe its Dino so i blacked out my tank last night and im starting that process, my question is if it is dino doesnt that mean its a nutrient problem not a water problem ? but i do plan to fix my water issue as well and try to find a better RODI i just want to understand better.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning guys, i just want to rewind for a minute because everyone does have great suggestions. I do believe its Dino so i blacked out my tank last night and im starting that process, my question is if it is dino doesnt that mean its a nutrient problem not a water problem ? but i do plan to fix my water issue as well and try to find a better RODI i just want to understand better.
yea I’m going to suggest you remove the phosguard. The solution to Dino’s is to let algae out compete them.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The (somewhat ambiguous) 'nutrients' could be in your source water, any may be feeding the bad stuff, just as well as it could be suppressing the good stuff. There's no way to know what your 25-50tds from the water actually is. Could be copper or other metals, could be phosphates, could be nitrates, chlorine, chloramine or literally anything else on the periodic table.

Whichever way you choose to look at it, I think you have more than one problem and the source water is the first thing to fix so you can get a clearer idea of the next problem.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain man. Some dino species are aggressive but your tank looks better than mine right now.
Type and determining the type is very helpful in treatment.

Don't let your nitrate and phosphate bottom out
Aggressive vacuuming (check ammonia after!)
Biodiversity and try and let your algae out compete it.

OP
OP
actik

actik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, would it be considered a bad case though if I've had fish losses ? I assume it's from that or I'm just extremely unlucky, corals don't look happy but I understand why for sure.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I have never had fish loss from dinos directly but I have heard that it can happen. That alone would lead me to believe that something else may be causing the fish loss but the dinos should be corrected fairly quickly. Unless your sandbed is littered with dead snails, I would dig into would else would cause a sudden loss.

Disease is where I would start. Are the fish doing anything abnormal such as flashing against rocks/sand or swimming toward a powerhead. Sores, dark spots and stringy poop can lead to a diagnosis (if there is one).

OP
OP
actik

actik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly nothing, other then my yellow goby having bite marks in him 1 day from the puffer there has been no visual indications of disease or sickness that i see. Just 1 day they act strange and sort of shy away... then all of a sudden they are swimming sideways and drop. Yet my 2 clowns have been going strong since the start ? and they arent aggressive to others at all everyone gets along in this tank wonderfully. Hermits,snails and cleaner shrimp arent even bothered by the puffer.

OP
OP
actik

actik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you guys recommend the 4 stage twist RODI ? or is it not that great, seems affordable and compact

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back