OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got some bad news, folks.

The two clowns and the 6-line wrasse I had in quarantine all died unexplained deaths this week. See the thread below:

Annnddd my watchman goby is either still dying or dead in her burrow. Waiting for the pistol to hopefully push her out again. See below:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/white-‘cap’-on-watchman-goby’s-head.835184/

So, that brings me down to a neon goby and the two pistols in my DT.

I am honestly so frustrated and just plain sad over the fish that I’m not really sure what to do at this point. Probably going to take some time to reflect on whether or not this hobby is/has been good for my mental health.

In the mean time, I guess I will go ahead and send out the ICP test. The 14-days of waiting might be long enough for me to decide what I’m going to do.[/URL]

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The two clowns and the 6-line wrasse I had in quarantine all died unexplained deaths this week. See the thread below:

Annnddd my watchman goby is either still dying or dead in her burrow. Waiting for the pistol to hopefully push her out again. See below:

I am honestly so frustrated and just plain sad over the fish that I’m not really sure what to do at this point. Probably going to take some time to reflect on whether or not this hobby is/has been good for my mental health.

In the mean time, I guess I will go ahead and send out the ICP test. The 14-days of waiting might be long enough for me to decide what I’m going to do.[/URL]
I’m so sorry about everything you’re going through. It reminds me a lot of my 90 gallon start up…I cried more about that tank and the losses than I care to admit. Wishing you all the best and I hope things get better soon

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The hobby isn’t for everyone. That is for sure. Lots of ups and downs, mostly downs when you’re new.

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so sorry about everything you’re going through. It reminds me a lot of my 90 gallon start up…I cried more about that tank and the losses than I care to admit. Wishing you all the best and I hope things get better soon
Thank you!
Hopefully the ICP tests bring some answers. If they don’t.. then I’m probably going to take a break and sell what I have for now. I’m not sure.

Trying to stay optimistic, but it’s not easy!

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
Hopefully the ICP tests bring some answers. If they don’t.. then I’m probably going to take a break and sell what I have for now. I’m not sure.

Trying to stay optimistic, but it’s not easy!
You could always continue to cycle what you have and let the tank age some before making a final decision…it does get better but young tanks are notorious for being unstable. When I was cycling my 90 again (after losing everything) I threw in a couple of shrimp from the grocery store and let them decay for a few days, then removed them and let nature take it’s course. This was repeated several times and in a couple of months I added fish again when the tests were showing that the cycle was stable. It’s a hard thing losing livestock and going through the disappointment but if you already have the equipment and still have the interest in moving forward it will be worth the wait.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, you just can't catch a break. We are all rooting for you!

I hate to see someone struggle so much and give up before ever finding success. Especially when others just seem to trip into success. I don't know what the problem is but I would consider a full restart if you're up for it. Clean your equipment really well, use all new water, use some actual live rock, use all new sand.

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always continue to cycle what you have and let the tank age some before making a final decision…it does get better but young tanks are notorious for being unstable. When I was cycling my 90 again (after losing everything) I threw in a couple of shrimp from the grocery store and let them decay for a few days, then removed them and let nature take it’s course. This was repeated several times and in a couple of months I added fish again when the tests were showing that the cycle was stable. It’s a hard thing losing livestock and going through the disappointment but if you already have the equipment and still have the interest in moving forward it will be worth the wait.
Thanks, this is actually what I’ve been doing. Just leaving it alone, small water change every other week. The parameter have been pretty stable, but I quite testing a few weeks ago because I am literally done stressing over it.

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, you just can't catch a break. We are all rooting for you!

I hate to see someone struggle so much and give up before ever finding success. Especially when others just seem to trip into success. I don't know what the problem is but I would consider a full restart if you're up for it. Clean your equipment really well, use all new water, use some actual live rock, use all new sand.
You’re not kidding.

if I could just find the proverbial tripping rock…. Haha

I actually just talked to my husband about that last night. I told him that if the ICP doesn’t come back with something on it, I’m draining the tank, selling my livestock, and I’ll reboot it when we move to Georgia in a few months. That way, I would have the chance to clean it and let it really dry out before restarting with 100% live rock. Still considering grabbing some mud/rocks from the gulf and tossing it in there, but I need to check snd make sure it’s legal to do that before I try it.

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly just buy some liverock from kp aquatics or similar, skip the stupid qt stuff and start having a successful tank. Its really not that hard when you EMBRACE nature rather than fight it. Good luck!
If only it was that easy! The whole reason I have this tank is to EMBRACE nature… but yeah, I’m done with the fish quarantining. I will only be buying them pre-quarantined from this point forward. I just don’t have the room in my life for all that proper quarantine entails at this time.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If only it was that easy! The whole reason I have this tank is to EMBRACE nature… but yeah, I’m done with the fish quarantining. I will only be buying them pre-quarantined from this point forward. I just don’t have the room in my life for all that proper quarantine entails at this time.
But it is that easy! Buy some aquacultured liverock from kp aquatics, trash that sterile bleached rock you have now and then enjoy a soon to be thriving ecosystem. Seriously its that easy. Been doing this for 15 years. I have seen the whole hobby trending towards sterilized reef tanks and I have seen how new hobbyists are seduced into this line of thinking. The reward they get is a brown tank for months on end. An ensuing battle with a plethora of pests and algaes and die offs. Then they may end up with a beautiful tank, one day, that will crash suddenly that one time they forget to dose some fancy chemical or if some fancy gadget decides to break.

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it is that easy! Buy some aquacultured liverock from kp aquatics, trash that sterile bleached rock you have now and then enjoy a soon to be thriving ecosystem. Seriously its that easy. Been doing this for 15 years. I have seen the whole hobby trending towards sterilized reef tanks and I have seen how new hobbyists are seduced into this line of thinking. The reward they get is a brown tank for months on end. An ensuing battle with a plethora of pests and algaes and die offs. Then they may end up with a beautiful tank, one day, that will crash suddenly that one time they forget to dose some fancy chemical or if some fancy gadget decides to break.
I actually already did that; I bought ) pounds of aquacultured live rock from my LFS and it hasn’t made a difference :confused:

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're WAYYYY too rushed. Thats the issue here.

Nothing in this hobby happens fast. The fact you're already ready to dump the tank after just a few months tells me this aint a hobby for you.

The live rock needs MONTHS to cycle itself. You cant just drop the live rock in and say its good now.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually already did that; I bought ) pounds of aquacultured live rock from my LFS and it hasn’t made a difference :confused:
Is the FTS on the first page of this thread your current situation? If so I see none of the type of liverock I am referring too. Aquacultured rock is shipped straight from the ocean to your door. It comes with all types of algaes, sponges, critters, etc.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly your tank in that FTS on the first page is one of the most depressing and lifeless looking aquariums I have seen. You need life in that thing. Like I said before. Ditch all that white rock you have and overnight 15lbs of kp aquatics premium aquacultured rock in water to your door. I can guarantee you will have more success that way. Your tank will transform from a lifeless desert to a beautiful piece of the ocean overnight.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Apollo7235

I'd start asking at the LFS about a local Club. Joining a club will get you in touch with some great ppl that all have the same goal, a great sustainable tank.

If you are comfortable and the family is comfortable.... go to monthly meetings and get to know another club member and share your skill set.

If you are comfortable after that, have the club member come look over your equipment, how you do things.

Problem will forums is we can't see the billion little things with your setup. It's like teaching someone how to play golf by writing out dos and don't.

We all need a coach or a resource to help us learn this hobby, face to face.

Only a more experienced person can see with their eyes potential issues.

Just in my area alone I probably have around 5 ppl within a 20min drive I can lean very hard on for advice or emergencies.

It's reeeeeeally important to know who's around you into this hobby.

HTH

Last edited:

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just trying to help. OP is about to quit and I believe her issues come from a barren and desolate aquarium ecosystem. Tough love is ok too. Not everyone learns from just hugs and kisses.
There's a time and place for stuff bruh.

You don't go to Fred's funeral and announce down the Reception Line, "Well, it's OK that Fred is gone. He was a horrible driver. I'm surprised he never ran anyone over"

Always know your audience when trying to share less than glowing comments.

Best to praise publicly and criticize privately

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 41 48.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 52.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.7%

Back