Absolute Distress! Algae is breaking my WILL!! Help please

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have overlooked it. However I didn't see you mention it.
Did you trash the sand and start with new or did you rinse and reuse what you currently had in the tank?

OP
OP
Antlrman

Antlrman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the recommended product to use for No3 dosing and Po4? I currently have Stump remover here for dosing No3. But I need to know what i should use for Phosphate. Any recommendations?

OP
OP
Antlrman

Antlrman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have overlooked it. However I didn't see you mention it.
Did you trash the sand and start with new or did you rinse and reuse what you currently had in the tank?
No I didnt trash it. Been siphoning it out ever since. We did such a large water change multiple times and was able to get the tank really clean. Including the sand bed. I had so much live rock at the time and we didnt want to remove everything and start over. My tank was surprisingly stable within 2 days after the initial crash.

Christopher B Keyes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a break! Whew! Just get a good solid clean up crew. Lots of snails...go overboard with them. Also some hermits. And get a blenny! Or two. Stop chasing everything so much. You are stressing yourself out. Get some cool critters that love nutrients. Brittle star? Serpent star? Lots of ways to deal with the issue but, IMO if you add chemicals and equipment past a certain point it will defeat the fun and enjoyment of a reef. Please, just look for natural solutions. All that were listed above will be a welcomed addition to your tank and will provide many hours of amusement and discovery

OP
OP
Antlrman

Antlrman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
c36014239d623d8d6ca84edf2d059cad.jpg

Lots of clean up crew arrived!

OP
OP
Antlrman

Antlrman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the recommended testing result for Phosphate? So currently I am testing at 5 for Nitrate and o for Phosphate. I have added my clean up crew and they are going to work. I have purchased some Seachem Flourish Phosphorus. Where should I be testing out on Phosphate(what to raise it to)?
Also I have ordered new mixture of various algae for the refugium. It had been so overrun with cyano and dino's that I turned off the lights and removed the refugium algae and part of the mud over a month ago (thought maybe was contaminated from the crash). The sump looks clean now so I am going to get it back up and running to compete with the DT again for algae growth.
I also just received the microscope. Going to take some samples and try to get some pics posted of the algae to help identify.

Thanks ALL. I am feeling hopeful again!

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What is the recommended testing result for Phosphate? So currently I am testing at 5 for Nitrate and o for Phosphate. I have added my clean up crew and they are going to work. I have purchased some Seachem Flourish Phosphorus. Where should I be testing out on Phosphate(what to raise it to)?
Also I have ordered new mixture of various algae for the refugium. It had been so overrun with cyano and dino's that I turned off the lights and removed the refugium algae and part of the mud over a month ago (thought maybe was contaminated from the crash). The sump looks clean now so I am going to get it back up and running to compete with the DT again for algae growth.
I also just received the microscope. Going to take some samples and try to get some pics posted of the algae to help identify.

Thanks ALL. I am feeling hopeful again!
A good number to shoot for is .10ppm for phosphate. This will allow good algae and bacteria to "eat" as well

OP
OP
Antlrman

Antlrman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good number to shoot for is .10ppm for phosphate. This will allow good algae and bacteria to "eat" as well
Thats what i was thinking and mostly what i have been reading. i just didnt know if I should increase higher than that to help with getting rid of the algae problem I have now or not.

OP
OP
Antlrman

Antlrman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here are the pics from the crappy toy microscope I bought! lol. may need to upgrade. i believ this is Dino for sure looking at other pics people have posted. Everyone agree?
20171115_111256.jpg
20171115_111629.jpg
20171115_111635.jpg
20171115_113000.jpg

OP
OP
Antlrman

Antlrman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when trying to upload the video I get this message. Is this a site issue? Or am I stupid?
Question on your lighting? How old are your lights?
Lights are Gen 3 Radion (x3) all 1 yr old. With 60" T5 (x4) supplemental lighting

OP
OP
Antlrman

Antlrman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to get a video as well so we can see the swimming motion of them.

@Beardo any clue on ID?
So I have a 19 sec video but the site wont let me upload. It is in MP4 format. But I keep getting error that the file has wrong extension?

Beardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to get a video as well so we can see the swimming motion of them.

@Beardo any clue on ID?
Ostreopsis, the sesame seed shape gives it away.
Also possible there is a second species as well. The first pic especially, shows some smaller ones. Not enough resolution to tell for sure though.

OP
OP
Antlrman

Antlrman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, well so now what? Just stay the course for now right? Get my phosphates up and feed less right. Go that, and added my clean up crew. Getting my Fuge going again.
Seems that everyone fears this algae type. Anything else I should be doing? I see that rtparty recommended raising my nitrates a little higher and adding UV Sterilizer.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back